“Camping & float trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meramec State Park Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sullivan
Meramec State Park Campground
“Camping & float trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Campground
We camped in two of their primitive areas on a Friday night, getting there around 7:00 pm after work. Like many state parks in the area, we were required to either buy or bring in our own wood (due to some infestation of a wood beetle). This was slightly an annoyance, because of all the deadfall I saw on the way to the campground. We were visited by two park rangers just before bedding down, and that gave me some sense of comfort. The following morning I found the restroom - basically a hollow pedestal / toilet above a hole in the ground. This is expected at a campground; however if you go, take a gas mask & DON'T LIGHT A MATCH. Other than that, the stay at the campground was great.

Float trip
The float trip was great - slow moving river, many amber beverages, and the water wasn't too cold. The only gripe is the bus ride up-river (or rather, what came before it). We were told after some time of waiting that she was stalling because "The guys taking the boats down have to take them off the racks once they get there." I would have much rather waited in the parking lot at the boat launch, than sat in a bus - three to a seat, in the heat, listening to bad jokes, and waiting for her to organize everyone to find a seat.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TVause

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We spent three nights (Wednesday through Friday) in a cabin during the first week of September. First, I want to say that our dealings with every employee we encountered in the park were a pleasure. Everyone was very nice and helpful, especially one of the employees at the camp store, which is where check-in for the cabins is. She actually called me the week before our trip because the store was going to be open a limited number of hours the day we were to arrive, so she wanted to give me her home and cell numbers (she lives in the park) in case we arrived outside those hours and needed to check in.
The cabin was great. It was clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed being able to build a fire and eat outside every night. I noticed another reviewer commented on how hard his/her bed was. Yes, ours was too, but I kind of think of rustic cabins as akin to a step up from camping, so I was neither surprised nor disappointed. The cabin rental cost $95.00 a night, which is about what a decent hotel room costs anymore, but it allowed us to have more of an outdoor experience than a hotel would have, and that is what we were looking for. We encountered deer on our evening walks, heard owls hooting at dusk, and saw a lot of fireflies once the sun went down. We also hiked several of the trails within the park. The trails were well maintained and offered a variety of scenery, including views of the Meramec River. The caves were all closed due to white nose syndrome, which has been killing a lot of bats, so we didn't go into any, but we were still fascinated by the rush of cold air that comes out of them.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank WeezyA2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

We love visiting this park. We camped the last time we were there and it was a good experience. The kids love playing in the river and enjoyed a trip through the cave located in the park. We stayed in our motor home this stay, but we have previously stayed in the cabins and they were very nice.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank BetherewBellzon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

We reserved 6 campsites for a family camping trip, and we were harassed by the park rangers and volunteers the entire time - to the extent that we couldn't enjoy our weekeend. We had a group of about 25+ people ranging in age from toddler to senior citizen (by no means are we disruptive, disrespectful to other campers, etc.) While I appreciate that the rangers patrol on a regular basis, they were constantly coming into our campsite for BS reasons. They scrutinized our every word and action. They criticized how close we put our tents together (although we had no more than the maximum 2 tents per site according to the rules). They got out of their vehicles and walked through our campsites unannounced and uninvited. The first night (a Thursday night), a "volunteer" came around at 10pm and said he received complaints and said we had to turn our radio off and we must not talk anymore if we were going to stay outside. Then he proceeded to the only other occupied campsite and made them turn their movie off. We spoke to those other campers and neither of us had complaints about the other or any noise. Later we caught that same volunteer had crept up into our campsite on foot in the dark, and he was standing behind one of our tents just listening and watching us. The old man volunteeer and the rangers bothered us so much that by the time we left on Sunday even our kids were running around yelling "Ranger Danger - Ranger Danger" because of the stalking and harrassing treatment we received all weekend!

I do not recommend this campgroung and I will never go back there again.

Room Tip: Find a different campground.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Teresa M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

my husband & i rented a cabin for our anniversary and had the loveliest time. our section of cabins was nicely secluded by a tree line between each building. we had neighbors on either side both nights and we hardly noticed them. there was a fire pit out front (someone was so nice as to leave us a few great hefty logs) and a picnic table where we ate breakfast & dinner each day. we really didn't see many people while we were there (a Monday & Tuesday). just some curious raccoons that came creeping out of the trees at night. i know they're pests, but the baby was just darling. that said, be meticulously clean about your food waste.

the cabin was really clean, had AC, a stove top, fridge, and all the dishes & utensils we needed. the bathroom was roomy & the shower had nice water pressure.

water access was about a five minute walk away. at first, i was put off by the fact that it was just below an underpass. then the midday heat struck and i was thankful for the shade over the water. plus, it was full of barnswallows, which were pretty entertaining to watch.

prices were reasonable, the store had everything you could need in the event that you forgot something at home. my only complaint is the bed. i think the mattress was made of bricks.

i look forward to going back for another getaway with my husband. OR with a group of friends. the cluster of secluded cabins would make for a great group destination - gather in front of one cabin or escape back to your own place for some time alone.

Room Tip: 5-8 were nicely isolated from the main road
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank groovyrooby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I will definitely go camping here again! Great campground! Stone fire pits! Great employees! Cheap firewood and clean showers! Canoeing down the meramec river was awesome and I cant wait to do it again!

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank Rekart
Fairview Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Camping is more pricey than other places. I made sure to have coupons ready in case we did the cave tour, boat tour or zipline.

The scene: We arrived on Memorial Day. 2 days after the water receded from the campgrounds.(The mosquitoes were out in force) There were lots of people there when we arrived but by then end of the day there were only a few tents left.
It was my husband, me & our 4yr old. The campgrounds were pretty messy from the holiday campers but otherwise maintained. There was a playground (in good shape) and our son was thrilled. The ladies in the small store were very nice. We bought our wood there and I'm glad we had everything else we needed because like every other place we've been with a camp store, foods and equipment were priced pretty high. We spoke with two of the security rangers during our trip and they were both nice as well.
I enjoy camping but I prefer to have a shower nearby. The ladies showers & restrooms were very well kept and the water was nice & hot. My husband said he & my son encountered a large amount of mosquitoes on the mens side though.
We walked over to the cave entrance and took advantage of the restaurant for lunch one day and took the cave tour. Our tour guide, Justin, was nice. Could tell he was scripted but he seemed to enjoy what he was doing for the most part. He was able to answer the questions our tour group (21 people total) was asking. We also took a boat ride. Our captain(Joe, I think)was extremely knowledgeable and very good with our son.

We will keep this campground on our list of maybes when we go again.

5 Thank Hi_2_you