“Arachnid Heaven” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sullivan
Highland, Illinois
“Arachnid Heaven”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

This place has gone down in a years time. The exit door on 1st floor had duct tape on one side so that you could enter without using your key card. In other words anyone could enter. Our room was only a few doors down so made me feel uneasy. Not so much when we were in the room since we did have a weapon but anyone with burglary experience could get in any of the rooms near that exit. Also there was a spider about 1 1/2inches crawling on the wall. My husband got it in a cup and put it outside. I also noticed the carpet wasa little worn. There was a dead moth in a corner around the baseboard - was probably the spider's dinner. Will not stay here again. Last year we stayed here but were on the 2 nd floor and there were no problems.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pilgore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

We traveled to Sullivan being my home town to visit my mother who is in hospice care dying of terminal cancer. I asked if they could by chance work with us on the time of our stay. My husband is a choice privileges member who stays with a comfort inn EVERY single week. He has stayed so much that he is the highest level of choice privilages (dimond level). Apart of that program is that you can request a suite if they have one available either at the basic room price or using your points. I booked our room as a suite so that I don't hear "I am sorry there are no suites available." They then had to tell me the truth that they DO not participate in the free room upgrade. I then called choice privilages who gave a run around until I let them know I am not in the mood for excuses, we had just driven 15 hours with our children ranging from teenage to small child it was 1:00am we lost an hour VERY tired they messed up our reservation I had CLEARLY called during the week before our arrival and told them that I was expecting to come late to our reservations and that I wanted the suite for the room and convenience of staying for so long that we stayed I also said I was planning on requesting the free room upgrade. I asked them why they did not relay that to me and what is the purks of working hard on the program if NONE of the hotels are made to honor the status AT ALL. I expressed how that Holiday Inn (priority club) They Made their hotels honor the program, and we have NEVER been told we could not upgrade to a suite. We had one instance that we checked in late and the desk clerk did not have a suite available until the next day. She put us in one the following day, that is how a hotel should be. Needless to say they did not want to hear this, I also told them if a Holiday Inn was close by we would be staying there. What I did like about the hotel was it is 100% smoke free, it is clean for a hotel, the bathroom in our room could have been cleaned better, and the shower curtain has mildew on the bottom of the curtain. I had to clean the bathroom myself with clorox. I did not mind as much since I do that at ANY hotel cause you just do not know who cleaned them. I had wished the original owners was still there. When my grandmother passed away in 2009 they gave us a bereavement price that was VERY low and VERY helpful.Then when my Grandfather passed away in 2010 the new owners refused to honor any bereavement pricing which was very disappointing. When we were returning this year for my mom the only lowest price they would go was $75.00 plus tax. We had to pay for 2 nights cause the hotel requires alot of points to stay. I seriously think they should not be allowed to require so many points since they refuse to honor ANY OF THE CHOICE PRIVILAGES PERKS. I have found that the Bauymont Inn is clean as well they are VERY willing to give bereavement pricing as well as when I am returning to be with my mom here in the next few days while she is still in hospice they are working with me on that pricing as well. They have hearts and are VERY family oriented I have noticed. I do like the comfort Inn but what issues I have expressed, it is just to sad that they are not family oriented OR even customer oriented.

Room Tip: Good luck try your best AND FIGHT FOR IT.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leahedward
Hayward, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

I stayed here one night on my journey across the country...this hotel was ok. It was on the new side, but to me the rooms were on the smaller side. The bathroom was well set up and clean...and the room was very functional. The front desk staff was friendly...and the breakfast was the Comfort Inn standard.

Don't read too much in to this next sentence...this is just my opinion...and I don't know why I feel this way about this place. I don't mean to trash the place by any means...but there was just something about it that I didn't like. Its one of those places that I wouldn't feel comfortable having my elderly mother stay at alone...yet I don't know why. The staff and other travelers were all friendly...and this was probally the newest place I stayed. I did put that I would recommend this place to a friend...but I don't think I was stay again...LOL

A very big plus for this hotel...there is a Cracker Barrell within walking distance...and a gas station as you pull out. Very easy access to the freeways.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

Really enjoyed the hotel and they have a great breakfast. I have stayed there 3 times in the past month and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Sullivan or other near towns. Hope they keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stopped at this hotel because we were exhausted and it was dark. Check-in was quick and there are restaurants and a gas station nearby. The motel was average, our room was two double beds, kind of small. The room was about average on cleanliness. The bed was comfortable. I could hear people in the hall the next morning but we were close to the lobby, so wasn't surprised. The continental breakfast had waffles, muffins, eggs, cereal, juice, coffee. I'd rate this an average motel, maybe a little on the expensive side since it was only average. I might stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
mo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

Ok. I'm sitting in a different room right now as I type this because a situation in my original room: #112. I'm laying on the bed typing on my laptop for a few hours when I notice something tiny and brown crawling across the pillow in front of me. I pick it up and kill it between my fingers. Then I immediately search "what is a bed bug" on the computer and up pops a photo of the bug I am holding. The site says that the best way to tell it is a bed bug is to crush it and smell it: it should smell like old raspberries or an old granola bar (kind of sickly sweet with a pungent note); regardless the smell should be strong and noticeable. A quick whiff of my hand confirms what all travelers are afraid of: bed bugs. I start turning over the other pillows on the bed and find another, then another, then another, all under the pillows just in front of me. I leap out of bed and crushed all the ones I could see (6 or 7) so that there would be evidence. I called management and they were extremely flustered about it and immediately moved me to another room and refunded my money. I'd like to get to a different hotel, but it's too late at night now. I searched my new room carefully after reading a tutorial on the internet and stripping the beds and inspecting the mattresses. No signs yet, but they are supposedly very good hiders and may only come out after they sense heat and carbon dioxide. So I'm going to lay on top of the bed for a while with my warm laptop and see if I can spot any before turning in for what I am sure will be an uneasy night's sleep. The hotel is nice, new, and clean, so that isn't an indicator for this problem at all. The front desk was very good about the whole thing. All I can say is don't trust appearances (good or bad). Check your rooms before you unpack and get in bed regardless of where you stay!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank effingphotog
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

While in the area visiting family, we checked into this Comfort Inn on their recommendation. Check in was easy, the room was fine, beds comfortable. The room was clean. We were not too bothered by interstate traffic noise, because we kept the AC unit on all night for white noise. The breakfast in the am was typical; cereal, waffle maker, etc. Make sure you have a cable for your computer! The Internet service is DSL not WiFi!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sullivan
Baymont Inn & Suites Sullivan
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#4 of 6 in Sullivan
BEST WESTERN PLUS Washington Hotel

Been to Comfort Inn Sullivan? Share your experiences!