“Two words: Bed Bugs!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sullivan
mo
“Two words: Bed Bugs!”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Ok. I'm sitting in a different room right now as I type this because a situation in my original room: #112. I'm laying on the bed typing on my laptop for a few hours when I notice something tiny and brown crawling across the pillow in front of me. I pick it up and kill it between my fingers. Then I immediately search "what is a bed bug" on the computer and up pops a photo of the bug I am holding. The site says that the best way to tell it is a bed bug is to crush it and smell it: it should smell like old raspberries or an old granola bar (kind of sickly sweet with a pungent note); regardless the smell should be strong and noticeable. A quick whiff of my hand confirms what all travelers are afraid of: bed bugs. I start turning over the other pillows on the bed and find another, then another, then another, all under the pillows just in front of me. I leap out of bed and crushed all the ones I could see (6 or 7) so that there would be evidence. I called management and they were extremely flustered about it and immediately moved me to another room and refunded my money. I'd like to get to a different hotel, but it's too late at night now. I searched my new room carefully after reading a tutorial on the internet and stripping the beds and inspecting the mattresses. No signs yet, but they are supposedly very good hiders and may only come out after they sense heat and carbon dioxide. So I'm going to lay on top of the bed for a while with my warm laptop and see if I can spot any before turning in for what I am sure will be an uneasy night's sleep. The hotel is nice, new, and clean, so that isn't an indicator for this problem at all. The front desk was very good about the whole thing. All I can say is don't trust appearances (good or bad). Check your rooms before you unpack and get in bed regardless of where you stay!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank effingphotog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 14 June 2010

While in the area visiting family, we checked into this Comfort Inn on their recommendation. Check in was easy, the room was fine, beds comfortable. The room was clean. We were not too bothered by interstate traffic noise, because we kept the AC unit on all night for white noise. The breakfast in the am was typical; cereal, waffle maker, etc. Make sure you have a cable for your computer! The Internet service is DSL not WiFi!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
bballin4him
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We stopped in and stayed on our way to an event in DeSoto the next day. The check in was quick, the room was very clean, almost smelled new. The bed was comfy. The rooms are as expected a bit noisy as the hotel sits by interstate. Overall, we slept well though. The breakfast was ok. Nothing to complain about. Our bathroom in our room was missing a shower curtain which was a bit odd. We actually forgot my husband's memory foam pillow that he sleeps on for his neck that is not cheap.......when we came back through we stopped by the pick it up. It was nowhere to be found so we assume one of the staff helped themselves to it. We were told they would mail it if they found it. We aren't holding our breathe. Other than that incident, the overall stay was good. It is conveniently located next to a Cracker Barrel which was great.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bballin4him
Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I always request a top floor room away from doors, elevators, ice machines, etc. (light sleeper). I got the top floor room (#325) but it was directly across from the exit door. The desk clerk assured me no one was up there and it wouldn't be a problem. Luckily the door wasn't a problem but there was a lot of noise from the interstate. We kept the fan on for some white noise. The room was clean and the beds/pillows comfortable. The pool was very warm & the hot tub was out or order. Breakfast was OK. Overall it was nice and we would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
NEBRASKA
Reviewed 8 April 2007

The hotel was very clean and the rooms were spacious. Although they had very liitle decoration.
We did not appreciate being given a 3rd floor room when we had requested a 1st floor when we made our reservation. The clerk said, " You'll like it, it will be quiet up there. " Well we could still hear the interstate and were awakened by a train that went by and blared its whistle at 5 AM, plus we had to lug our things a long way.
It was a little inconvenient that our room did not have a luggage rack or a laundry bag. The towels however, were very cutely folded.
The hot tub was a serious joke! First of all, it was almost too hot to sit in, and only 3 of the 8 jets did anything at all, and they didn't have enough pressure for a massage. The hot tub was in desperate need of maintenance.
Breakfast was good. Didn't care much for the attitude of the attendant.
We left an item in our room and was very impressed that they did mail it to us free of charge, so that improved opur opinion of the hotel.

• Disliked — hot tub
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank HUSKERTRAVELER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sullivan
Baymont Inn & Suites Sullivan
#3 of 4 in Cuba
Super 8 St. Clair MO
Super 8 St. Clair MO
#2 of 2 in Saint Clair

Been to Comfort Inn Sullivan? Share your experiences!