“Worst Stay Ever!”
Review of Bear Bottom Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sunrise Beach
Bear Bottom Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise Beach
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My family checked into the campground Friday March 8th and left on Monday March 11th before 9:00 a.m. When we made the reservation we looked through the website and even called several times. After many calls we finally got hold of somebody, a man whom did not identify himself.

As most of our party were camping in tents we asked about the bathrooms and showers and were reassured that you had new bathhouse - showers and toilets. When we asked where on campsite map the bathrooms and showers were located, we were told close to the slide.
When we arrived, we checked in, which took us forever to find the campground office and had to shout to be heard over the music playing in the restaurant at 1pm.

The campsites are very close together and were where not able to put up tents next to our friends RV like they had said we would be able to and had to end up reserving and paying for another site. There was no picnic bench or fire pit/ring at either of the 2 sites we purchased. And no firewood to be found. People camping next to us helped us drag over a picnic bench and fire pit.

When we went to use the restrooms and shower - the bathrooms were filthy and the shower consisted of a hole in the wall with no hot water. At this time we figured that maybe it was the end of the day and nobody had had a chance to clean the toilets yet and the hot water had run out. But then early the next morning we tried again - and still no hot water and the bathrooms had not been cleaned. They were disgusting. I then talked to somebody in the bar area, since the campground office was locked up and they promised that someone from the office would come to the campsite and talk to us,which never happened. We tried several times to catch somebody in the office to no avail.
Unfortunately we had already paid for the whole weekend, could not find another campground around that had openings,so could not move someplace where we could actually use a clean bathroom and have a shower.

They advertise that they have endless hiking in 58 acres of woodland. However, just 10 feet from our campsite there is a dump. Broken glass, metal, chairs and who knows what all else is in that dump. Fortunately we had no little kids with us, but the people across from us had several small kids, so we warned them not to let them wander around as if they went near the dump they would most likely be hurt.

We originally chose to stay here because of the water slides and bar in the pool. I was so unhappy with my stay that I was not about to give this property another cent of my money. The pool that you didn't have to pay to use was even disgusting. Leaves and trash floating in the pool and beer cans and trash all around the pool.

I usually always read the reviews before booking a stay and I regret not doing it this time. This was the worst camping experience my family and I have ever had. Next time we will be staying at a state park.

Room Tip: Don't Stay here!
3  Thank Sarah H

Reviewed 17 June 2012

If all you are wanting to do is ride some nice waterslides for fairly cheap ($10 for all day), then this is the place to go! The bar area next to the slides is well-designed and has potential to be a really cool spot. The problem is the atmosphere. It's not at all kid-friendly, which is problematic for a water slide. It feels like they aren't quite sure what they want to be: an adults-only playground or a family-friendly waterpark. They are neither and it makes for an uneasy and uncomfortable vibe. We ordered food and drinks while the kids played. The food was decent, but the lack of overall cleanliness of the place made me not very hungry. Service was decent.
Did not stay at the motel part, but from a distance, they looked old and run-down. I definitely wouldn't stay there.

2  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Three generations of our family from, 3 to 53, had a great time on our 4 night vacation at the BBR! We just about did it all. Including just hanging out at the guest pool and swim dock. We all went on the 2 water slides and liked watching other people enjoying themselves too. The view of the lake is great and the water is nice and calm in the cove where the BBR resides. We loved watching the big boats come and go and the relaxing atmosphere at the resort. The employees were really friendly and very accomodating. As others have noted, inside the cabins are really not that clean. These are CABINS people, not CONDOS, the adventure of a cabin is roughing it. Personally we go to the lake to be outside. To let the whole family have some freedom and room to explore. The slides and bar area is what brings most people to the resort. I'm confident that the cabins are a work in progress and each year when we return we will see noticable improvements in and around the cabins.

Room Tip: 4 adults and 3 kids were very comfortable in cabins 5 & 6 combined.
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The good. We thought the food and service were great. A little overpriced but we did not care given the atmosphere by the lake. Staff was friendly. Fireworks were great! Waterslides and pool were good too!

Camground was actually pretty nice. Most of the sites have enough space and were really enjoyed ourselvea. It's a little bit of a walk to the slides and pools but you can drive down if you want which we learned to do.

The worst aspect of it all was the lack of a bathhouse for campground customers. This simply needs to change. They can build this between the primitive camping and the rv campground. As soon as they put in a true camground bathhouse up around the campground area, I will give them 5 stars. And please do this over the winter please if possible because we can't wait to come back!

And if your looking for a 5 star resort with regard to the lodging, go somewhere else. This place is great family value resort but it is not the Hilton.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank John B
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The rooms are beyond disgusting. They are dank, smelly, unclean, and full of bugs. There is NO way the sheets, much less comforters, were cleaned!! The beds touch the ground allowing bugs to crawl everywhere.
I was so upset that I didn't sleep either night.

The band crapped out and didn't play so we had no band either night.

The beat part of the experience is who u go with- nothing that has anything to do with the accommodations!!! GROSS!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank DogloverG
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We were suppose to stay for 3 nights.... we only stay ONE night! That place is PITTIFUL! Our vacation was such a waste! :(

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank kwstorm24
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I read the reviews before visiting and I'm here to set the record straight. This is a great resort for families with 2 waterslides, 2 pools, fireworks on Saturday night. But without children this is also a fun resort. 2 bars, live music in the evenings and close to a lot of other resorts like Franky & Louie's. Just remember you are staying at the lake...it's not the Hilton but the rooms are very clean, tastefully decorated and the kitchenettes are ideal for extended stays. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Friends visited us during the stay at Bear Bottom and were very impressed with the facilities and the service.
My only suggestion to the staff...with the many trees around the pool it could use a skimmer on the deck. We were willing to skim the pool each morning but couldn't find the equipment. All in all, I give it 5 stars and I am a picky consumer. Trust me, you will not be disappointed, unless it rains, but who can control that?

Room Tip: Small rooms-you may want to request a larger one
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Bear Bottom Resort? Share your experiences!