“Marie H "Extra Guest"”

Lakeview Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise Beach
“Marie H "Extra Guest"”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at Lakeview Resort during the month of May. This is one of the yearly trips my family and I have taking there for the last 5 or 6 years. I rent at least two cabins every time I stay, one for my daughter and one for myself. I enjoy the out in the open camping type of atmosphere which is why I never stay in the condos. We have never had any problems with our stay until this last one. Because we come so often, the resort offers us a "Free Day." We can either come a day early which would be that Thursday, or stay until Monday. I always use the Thursday stay. We checked into the room and had a nice time all evening. That Friday morning I got my purse out of the nightstand drawer to get my M&M's and notice the bag had been chewed and little pieces of wrapper and M&M's were at the bottom of my purse. It felt so horrible to know a mice had been in my purse. I immediately called the office to let them know that mice must have been in the cabin. The lady in the office was really nice. She told me they had a mice issue before in another cabin but not that one. We also discussed how a family of foxes lived behind the unit. She sent maintenance over in which they placed three mice traps in the bedroom. I had no more problems until that that Saturday night my grandchildren and I was watching a movie in the living room when a mice ran from under the TV stand. We all jumped at the same time. I called the office but it was closed. When the office opened that morning I told the lady what the problem was, she told me that the manger would be calling me the first thing Monday morning. When I spoke to the manager on Monday he told me how sorry he was and that he would refund me half of my money to compensate for the incident. When I received the check the next week it did not show half of my resort cost. I called and spoke to him a second time. This time he stated that I got one night free so he took a percentage of that when calculating what my refund would be. This made my refund at least ninety dollars shorter that what I expected. I was really surprised because we never discussed the free night or percentages during or first five minute phone call. I tried to explain to him that we never discussed the free day, if we had I would not have agreed to that subtraction of my refund. But rudely he continued to say over and over that he told me this. Finally I said fine I will have to talk to someone else, then he made the statement " I'm doing you a favor for all I know you could have bought the mice to the with you." At that point I was shocked that a manager/owner would even make a statement like that to a customer, especially one that comes every year. I told him thank you for your time and proceeded to call other help agencies. I really hate this occurred because a whole group of my family members rent at the same time, at least 5 or more cabins or condos. I know that things are not perfect all the time as well as people sometimes get frustrated or have a lot on their mind, but not sticking to your word and insulting your customers will most of the time make your situations worse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JF R
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Marie - We were glad to accommodate your family over the past 5 to 6 years, and extend to you discounted and free nights for returning to us. As you stated, the resort offers the "out in the open camping type atmosphere". With this type of atmosphere, comes potential exposure to certain "critters" such as chipmunks, squirrels and possibly foxes. Your stay will have to go down as the "Mouse Mystery", as no signs of mice were ever seen, or reported, before or after your visit. I did reimburse you, as I promised, and gave you the equivalent of 50% off your entire stay. This is exactly as I stated to you. I sincerely apologize for your encounter, but if there were a "mouse", or a chipmunk, it arrived and departed the same days as you.
Regards-
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My bride and I have been coming here for more than 15-years in the off-season and our extended family rents the Upper Walnut for maximum space for a week each summer for the last 10 years, so I'm biased. I love the place, it's like home. Having all the amenities that large families love at a family resort, well, there's nothing like this a homespun getaway. But if you want fancy, go stay at 4 Seasons, less so Tantara or rent one the many condos. We enjoy their cabins with a beautiful view of the water, whether with our big bunch in summer fun or the serene beauty of the off-season. This is a resort like we grew up as kids and it's a one of a kind property left on the Lake! Indoor/outdoor pool, usually has with lots of kids, playing and activity but closes at night and all is quiet; quaint game room, modest playground, shuffleboard, tennis, volleyball, horseshoes, fishing docks, outdoor gathering places with grills, - the perfect resort for this type of vacation..

The people there are very nice to us and yes, things have needed their attention but they've always been cordial and fixed us up nicely. Lakeview offers a summer vacation that harkens back to simpler times that can appeal to all ages - if you're not looking for suites and butlers and fancy.

Important tip - every year when we check out from our week, they offer 40% off per night for extra nights the day before we leave - some of us have been able to take advantage.

Room Tip: Upper Walnut cabin and Blue Gill has the most common/closet space for the buck with good lake view...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve O
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Steve - Wow! 15 years and counting! Your review describes our resort perfectly, and I can tell that you understand what Lakeview is all about...one of those dying breads of family resorts that is fast becoming non-existent. We truly appreciate you and your family over the years and will always look forward to your return!
3rd Generation
of the 68 years
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family has stayed at the lake for over 5 years sometimes twice a year others 1once we have booked from 3 units to over 10 in 1 visit, over the years I have really liked my stay, I personally have never had any major issues, some of my family members have but they were corrected with no problems. For some reason reason this year was just different, I stayed in cabin 304 which is a very nice unit but there were some issues with the unit that I felt were important to me. In my grandaughters room there was ants on the inside of the window and there was poor heat circulation when I complained of this the maintenance person came and turned the heat up, it was stated since they had a mix up on when I was arriving the room was not prepared, my unit did not warm up that night so a space heater was brought in when that did not work a 2nd one was brought in which knocked of the power in the bedroom and bath, I was given the option to switch to the condo's for the additional condo fee which I paid since I have a medical condition and could not continue to stay in that unit, I stayed in a relative's condo unit for the night until my unit was ready the next day. I spoke with the owner regarding this issue and the first thing that was said to me was that he had reviewed your history and in the past you have moved 3 times from your original unit, not looking that in the past I use to book all the units for our family and I had to explained that those were not my personal unit and the last issue he may be referring to was over 2 years ago, but since we were talking about this visit I did not think that was relevant ath the time expecially when he seen that I was upset, I just feel there will be issues at anytime that you are over such a large resort area but the way you handle the situation goes a long way, I do feel that he could have been more compassionate with me but instead it came off non-caring.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank janine h
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We appreciate you and your family staying with us over the years. As in the past, we were happy to extend to you a special rate, giving you a night free on your weekend. This rate is based on consecutive nights stay in the same unit. Moving to other units costs us an additional cleaning fee and makes our costs higher. We did correct the problems in unit 304, and you were given a night free as part of your initial reservation. Upon speaking with you, I mentioned that our records show a history of room moves under your name, which you informed me was your family and not you. I apologized, as we can only assume the name on the account is the occupant of the unit. I was showing a history and pattern of room moves and upgrades under the special rate, which sent up a red flag. I apologize again for the mistaken identity, hopefully you can understand that if your full name is on an account, we are to assume that you are the responsible party for that unit.
Best regards-
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great place to relax. The views of the Lake are wonderful. There are many choices of accommodations, requiring you to bring towels and some kitchen supplies...but well worth the effort.
This was our third visit to Lakeview, and we plan to go again in the Fall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RMDLMD -
We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your past and recent stay with us. We appreciate patrons such as you, and look forward to your return visit in the fall.
Owner
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lakeview is an old-style resort that needs some serious upkeep. With that said, it is affordable, friendly and has a scrumptous view of the lake from almost all units. A lot of the units have windows that need painting, locks that need tightening and skirting that has become loose. Again, it does have a lot to offer at an affordable price. The resort has a lot of shoreline with most units within a stone's throw of the water. There is a brand new fishing shack which is really nice. It is too bad visitors feel cans/bottles of beer/soda are not too heavy to carry down to the dock, but too heavy to carry out! There are several docks for fishing, playgrounds for kids, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor pool, horseshoes, weight room and boats available for rent. There is no restaurant on site, but there are a few close by and many within a 10 to 15 minute drive. There is also a wonderful newer store "Woods" just about 5 minutes away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mirandajoe
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Mirandajoe - Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you got to enjoy some of the amenities Lakeview has to offer. The new enclosed heated fishing dock is a big hit, now with a color TV to watch the game while you fish, and we hope to add a shuffleboard table in the near future. We are constantly striving to paint and fix up our resort of 68 years. With all the wood structures, we could start at one end, and by the time we're done, we would have to start all over again. I assure you we are moving forward in our improvements of Lakeview. Thank you for your patronage!
Best regards -
3rd generation
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Started off great. We arrived at 4:30pm on Friday (peak time) the staff was still courteous even w the rush. We got to our room, it was clean w a beautiful view of the lake and a nice deck. We had a few drinks on the deck and ran to the grocery store which minutes away. (big bonus!) After getting our provisions (alcohol and snacks) we walked to a nearby bar and grill for dinner. We were staying there for a fishing tournament. The staff was very accommodating with plenty of ice on hand. (That's a big deal when you have a lot of fishermen coming in thirsty) Really can't say anything negative. 5 stars! We want to go back and take our son along. He will love the playground, fire pits, swimming, and fishing. -Jeremy

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeremy S
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Jeremy - Thank you for your review. We hope you had good luck on your tournament. We appreciate you staying with us, and look forward to meeting your family in the future. Call us anytime you are ready for your next trip to the lake.
Best regards-
3rd generation owner
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Lakeview Resort is the last of the great family resorts that you may remember from decades ago. Year after year improvements are made to the property and accommodations. From luxury condo to quaint cabin, your family will always be able to find the perfect unit no matter the size. The views of The Lake are exceptional. The opportunities for fun for children and adults are many. Most of all, the owners and staff are always eager to learn your name in order to welcome you back for your next visit. There WILL be a next visit!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StarHawkDS
getitright1, Owner at Lakeview Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Lakeview Resort. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We will strive to live up to your expectations by keeping Lakeview a place you wish to return. Keep those awesome pictures coming! We look forward to serving you again soon!
3rd generation
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Lakeview Resort? Share your experiences!