“Needs Attention”

Marriott St. Louis West
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'll make this easy. Location, good, bar were all fine. My main issue was a room that had obvious issues that they had to be ignoring. Really obvious things that needed to be fixed and just weren't.
I would only stay here again if I ha a business trip because I sort of wouldn't care. I wouldn't take my girlfriend or family here.

• Stayed: July 2014
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Kurt,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Marriott. I am sorry that your room was not as expected. We inspect all of our rooms daily, and when a deficiency is uncovered, we address it as we go. I am interested to learn more about what you experienced and would like to personally inspect the room you stayed in so that any issues can be addressed (and I can research why those items would not have been attended to prior to your arrival). Please reach out to me personally at cstevens@stlmarriottwest.com at your convenience. I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because the hotel had a special rate of $110 a night. The rooms were pleasant. They were updated and stylish, as well as a decent size. The lobby was also pleasantly decorated. Noting that, I typically avoid Marriott hotels--they are so cheap that they charge $9.95 for wifi. Other places, even absolute dives where I've stayed, realized that wifi is a small price for customer happiness.

The biggest downside is the indoor pool. You walk out of the elevator and see a sad coin laundry room--like something one might see in a run down hostel. You follow the 80's themed boater posters into a truly awful pool room. The paint is chipping, the walls are water damaged, and the equipment is rusty. I am not sure it has relieved attention since it was built--except to dump in copious chlorine.

Overall it felt like an $85 price point might be better.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Gulielmus4

Thank you for the nice comments about our lobby and guest rooms, we are delighted that you enjoyed those parts of the hotel. Our Marriott does offer complimentary wireless internet in our lobby and in our guest rooms; there is an upgrade option for a fee but many guests do prefer the complimentary option. We are in the process of repainting and repairing some of the items you mentioned at our indoor pool, and we appreciate your feedback. We also offer a spacious outdoor pool for everyone's enjoyment while we update the indoor pool. We hope you will come back to try us again!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

To describe this hotel as a color, you'd choose magnolia. Not offensive, not vibrant just nothing.

The hotel is in the middle of a business park, hence why I am staying in it (convenient), the problem is that there is NOTHING around here *NO-TH-ING*. First night, I ventured out of the hotel (in part because the restaurant was closed for some reason) to do a recce on the local vicinity. Quickly establishing that there was nothing to do, I ended up driving and stumbled on a place to eat miles away. The second night, I stayed in the hotel and waited for at least 5 minutes to be seated, because there was a complete lack of staff. The staff are friendly enough, but my goodness, the menu is one of the worst I have seen ever in a hotel. To say the choice was limited, was an understatement. I ended up having grilled salmon costing a small fortune and let's face it, the hotel has a monopoly on eating facilities, given there is nothing around it to compete with. Even with a small menu, they had run out of broccoli. For dessert, there were two choices - I went for the chocolate pudding with an out-of-a-bottle cheap sauce and pecan's, I have made better at home. Given it was empty, service was inexplicably slow.

The gym in the hotel is pretty decent, apart from that, there is nothing to do in this establishment. The bar is small and crowded. There is a small shop next to reception, but not well stocked whatsoever. I have stayed at hotels in business districts before, next to airports and generally off the beaten track a bit, but this place takes the award for the worst.

If you can avoid this hotel, then do so.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear TheEnglishOn172, I am terribly sorry that you had this experience at our hotel. Overall, it appears to me that my team did not properly engage you as they normally do. If they had, for example, we would have shown you the three-mile walking nature trail for you to explore which is mere steps away from the outdoor pool, and the list of over 30 great restaurants and shopping areas within a 5 minute drive from our hotel. Additionally, if we had engaged you at dinnertime, we would have known that you were not enjoying your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this! I appreciate you providing me this feedback so that we can immediately improve our Guest Engagement.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I tried to request a two double bed room online but my request was not guaranteed. I then called the hotel and spoke to the front desk to see if I could book a room with two double beds on the phone and they said yes. I told the front desk explicitly that I have a family of four and would not have booked the hotel if they could not give me a two double bed room. With their verbal guarantee, I gave them my credit card number to pay for the room upfront. Sure enough, on the day of arrival, no room with two double beds is available and I was only given a "Executive Suite" room with a king size bed and a pull out sofa bed. That is flat out lying to your customer to woo business. By the way, the sofa bed was too soft and you just sink into the mattress! Not good for your backbone. I complained and they told me that they would never guarantee a two double bed room because there were a lot of sport teams staying in their hotel and all those rooms have been given to those sport teams. Our room did not have a refrigerator, so I requested one the next day. At the end of the day when I went back to my room, a small refrigerator was install, which is good service. Well, when we look at the sink of the vanity next to the bathroom, it was full of dirt! Apparently, whoever install the refrigerator probably cleaned the refrigerator in my room and forgot to clean the sink! Long story short, it was definitely not a good stay and I will not go back to this hotel again. I used to have good impression on the Marriott brand, not anymore after this incident.

Room Tip: If it said not guaranteed online, don't even border to call the front desk.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Oklahoma Traveller;
I am terribly sorry to read how disappointed you were with your recent stay at our Marriott. I will work with my team to determine how we can better serve our guests who need rooms with two double beds. This feedback about the King with a Pull Out resolution is very valuable, thank you! Please contact me directly when travels bring you back to St. Louis, so I may ensure you receive the correct room type for your family.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I called the day before for them to go ahead and run credit card to have rooms paid for in advance , i as told every thing was good. Drove to St Louis early next morning spent all day at Six Flags left the park at 9;30 p.m. Got to hotel and went to get our keys to the rooms, I was informed needed to swipe my credit card again, when swiped they tell me its denied, ( no reason for it to be denied) mind you this was supposed to be taken care of the day before, so my daughter in law had them use hers, got the keys to to the room and realized they didnt give me 2 rms just 1 so went back and the employee tells me that must swipe my daughter in laws card again, OK no problem right , nope her card was DENIED, this time, they swiped it several time with no luck, so my son happened to have one , so they used his card, it took . It took 3 hrs to get checked in ./ Rms were nice, beds were OK, Got up the next more, checked our credits cards accounts, They charged all 3 credit cards for the 2 rooms. , We were told by the manager apparently their new trainee checked us in. This was a humiliating experience to say the least will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Rhonda P.,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered! I spoke with my team at length, and they were able to provide me with some more detail. What happened to you is absolutely not the norm for our hotel, yet I can appreciate how frustrating the situation must have been for you and your family. I would like to ensure that the authorizations showing on your accounts have been removed; please reach out to me personally at cstevens@stlmarriottwest.com so that I may ensure you have resolution and closure. Thank you, Rhonda P., we will make this right!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the St Louis Marriott West three years ago and then as now this hotel provides great value and service - even though I purchased through Hotwire the hotel staff honored my requests for a high floor, quiet room facing the creek and I was fortunate to get a room on the top floor, where the lounge is located. Marriott Rewards members should ask for a room on the top floor where the lounge is located as the lounge offers a quiet, expansive respite with windows overlooking the creek. Check-in was friendly and efficient.

The hotel is close to Chesterfield Mall and dining options, and the hotel was packed the weekend of my visit. One night I was able to park right next to the hotel entrance, another night I had to use the garage (be careful of the low ceiling clearance in case you have a roof rack).

The queen bed and pillows were very comfortable. I was able to get free wifi with my Marriott Rewards membership. Despite the scrum of teenage athletes staying at the hotel, once inside my room it was very quiet.

I ordered room service and the ceasar salad was delivered quickly, and was excellent. I ate breakfast in the top floor lounge and the attendant was very friendly and provided good service. The small fridge was filled with cool water and soft drinks.

I look forward to returning to the St Louis Marriott West soon!

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms face the creek, join the Marriott Rewards program and ask for a room on the top f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Wow, thank you so much for your excellent and thorough review of our Marriott! You are very kind to mention so many wonderful points about the hotel, the products and the services. And yes, being so close to great shopping and other attractions like Ballpark Village really do make us a smart choice for travelers. Please don't wait three years to come back, we would all love to serve you again sooner than that!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

After a day at Six Flags and before visiting the zoo, we enjoyed our time at the Marriott West. We were celebrating our grandson's 10th birthday, so the pool was important. They have an indoor and a very nice outdoor pool, where we had pizza delivered. No breakfast included, but the buffet with omelet and waffle station was excellent. Service everywhere was very good too. One of our rooms was with points, so that helped with costs.

Stayed: July 2014
Catherine S, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Happy Birthday to your Grandson! We are delighted that you enjoyed such a special celebration at our hotel. Isn't it great that we are so close to the famous St. Louis Zoo? There are also many other fun attractions for kids in Forest Park. So glad you enjoyed the pool and restaurant as well...please come back to see us again before our outdoor pool closes in September!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Town and Country
Hilton St. Louis Frontenac
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Courtyard St. Louis Creve Coeur
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Creve Coeur
St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to Marriott St. Louis West? Share your experiences!