“Real good authentic Indian/Pakistani food”
Review of Spice-n-Grill

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Spice-n-Grill
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Rolla, Missouri
“Real good authentic Indian/Pakistani food”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We went there for lunch on several recommendations.

Seating: It is a small cafe style restaurant. Only 3 or 4 seating tables. But we didn't have a problem there since there was nobody else there.

Service: Its owned by a husband-wife pair. They are the cooks and the servers. Both of them were very charming, welcoming and courteous.

Food: We ordered Chhole Biryani (Biryani with chickpeas), Roti, Raita, Chicken Tikka Masala. Everything was made fresh, it tasted like it came straight out of my grandmother's kitchen. Chhole biryani at the first glance looked like just rice with chickpeas in them but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was definitely unique. My husband enjoyed his Chicken tikka masala, it was made fresh, no cream or tomato sauce to be seen or tasted. If you have a taste of slightly bitter raita with homemade masala in it, definitely go for it. I loved it since it reminded me of my childhood when raita used to be leftover buttermilk hung and beaten thus with a slight bitter taste to it. The highlight of the meal was definitely the freshly made Rotis. We first ordered "naan" but the owner told use right away that those were out of the packet but they make fresh rotis. And of course, we went for rotis. The roti was made of wheat flour and not of white flour. Big, soft and the way I remember them from my childhood.

Cost: The total cost came out to be $24. In my opinion, that's what one usually pay at Indian restaurants.

Tips: They don't have lunch buffet. You order off a menu. They serve the same menu all day.
They have a brunch special on Saturday and Sunday until early afternoon. Poori-Halwa platter. That's there biggest hit and people usually go there for carry-out. If you want to dine-in, go there before 11:00 am. They open at 10:30 on weekends. Otherwise, you won't get a place to sit.

Looking forward to going there tomorrow for Brunch. Will update if anything is amiss.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank AmyKaur

UNIVERSITY CITY
“Best Indian/Pakistani Food in STL!”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I've been to a few Indian restaurants in STL, and they range from good to pretty good. Spice-n-Grill is the best joint yet. If you're asking, "What's good there?", I'd have to say, "Everything!". I've had the samosas, chole biryani, and lamb biryani. My wife usually gets curry dishes as HOT as they can make them.

It's a small mom and pop joint in an area where you wouldn't expect an Indian/Pakistani restaurant to be. There isn't a whole lot of seating, since it is a small restaurant. In fact, you get a $1 discount if you are a carry out customer.

My wife is an attorney, and it is a current favorite place for her coworkers to have an "Adventure Lunch".

• Visited October 2012