“Lots Of Potential, Not Quite There Yet”
Review of Salt + Smoke

Salt + Smoke
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Salt + Smoke, BBQ Bourbon and Beer sources and smokes the best BBQ in town! We make everything from scratch from our fries to pies and can help you wash that delicious food down with any of our over 300 beers and whiskies!
“Lots Of Potential, Not Quite There Yet”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We've long been fans of sister restaurant Franco, but never took to this restaurants previous incarnation as Nico. The BBQ concept is becoming a little tired in St. Louis, but I can see that there is a place for it in the loop.
Since it's BBQ, I'll start with the ribs, which were big, meaty and tender. The sauces provided included a mustard-base concoction that was a nice surprise. The sides we tried included baked beans, hush puppies, and slaw. The beans were over seasoned but interesting. The hush puppies were flavorful, but a bit doughy, and would benefit from a condiment other than maple butter (maple syrup would have been better). The slaw complimented the ribs nicely. For some reason, St. Louis BBQ joints are scared of cooking greens, which confounds me. Alas, S+S falls in line with its contemporaries in this regard. The issue I would have with the sides was that their flavored were so disparate - I couldn't find a common thread tying them together. I hope for some refinements from the kitchen soon as things come together.
There is a nice selection of local beers, and the atmosphere is up-casual, with nice seating outdoors. Staff was pleasant if not particularly enthusiastic.

Visited June 2014

• Finnish first
St. Louis, MO
“New BBQ in the Loop”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited for the first time yesterday. I don't hold myself out as a BBQ aficionado, indeed it's probably one of my less favorite meals, nonetheless, this BBQ is very good and worth a return trip. The quality is very good and the restaurant probably a little more upscale than most bbq places or restaurants in the Loop--something of which the Loop is in need. There were four of us none of whom had previously eaten here so we sampled the menu. The baby back ribs were very good; the brisket adequate; the smoked chicken wings meaty and good, pulled pork on par with most other places, the toasted ravioli was different, the creamed corn good, and the baked beans a little too salty for everyone's taste. Atmosphere was nice, though not too much different than its predecessor restaurant. Good crowd inside and out--the Loop was humming.

• Visited June 2014