“BBQ is good, bourbon is GREAT!”
Review of Salt + Smoke

Salt + Smoke
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Salt + Smoke, BBQ Bourbon and Beer sources and smokes the best BBQ in town! We make everything from scratch from our fries to pies and can help you wash that delicious food down with any of our over 300 beers and whiskies!
Saint Louis, Missouri
“BBQ is good, bourbon is GREAT!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My dad was raised in Memphis and I learned how to barbecue from him. I have a smoker at home and use it 2-4 times a month throughout most of the year, so when I go out, I rarely choose barbecue. St. Louis has had a lot of good barbecue places pop up and this is one of the newest. It's a lot like the Shaved Duck in that it's sort of a fine-dining approach to barbecue.

The food is good. They use quality meats and they don't over-smoke, which is impressive considering that they use oak. A general rule is to not smoke with any wood that doesn't bear a fruit or nut that humans eat. Oak adds a very pungent and, if overdone, acrid flavor to meat, so I'm very impressed that they use it so effectively (even on chicken). A testament to their skill, but it doesn't fit my personal taste.

Their bourbon selection is unbelievable. They have over 100 selections to choose from and that, in and of itself, is a great reason to frequent this place. It's a great place to grab lunch or dinner and have a few drinks in a casual, low-key environment.

Visited June 2014

• Finnish first
Nashville, TN
“Nothing great...”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I tried this Salt + Smoke because I had a Groupon for Nico and when I went to redeem my groupon Nico had closed. I was told Salt + Smoke would be opening in a few weeks and could come back and use my groupon when the restaurant opened.

I attempted to come to the restaurant one day, but could not find a parking space becasue the street was packed. I drove by the restaruant a few times while in search of a parking spot and the restaurant looked very full.

I returned the next day and ordered smoked wings (dry), garlic and herb fries (very good), white cheddar mac n cheese (terrible). I also ordered an Apple Barrel and French Julep neither of which I would order again.

Overall I was not impressed with the food or drinks. I will not be returning.

• Visited July 2014
St. Louis
“One of the best in town.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I am afraid to post this for fear it will get too busy or suffer quality change due to overcrowding . . . but it's good, real good! Brisket is tender and mac n' cheese is worth the calories.

• Visited July 2014
“Lots Of Potential, Not Quite There Yet”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We've long been fans of sister restaurant Franco, but never took to this restaurants previous incarnation as Nico. The BBQ concept is becoming a little tired in St. Louis, but I can see that there is a place for it in the loop.
Since it's BBQ, I'll start with the ribs, which were big, meaty and tender. The sauces provided included a mustard-base concoction that was a nice surprise. The sides we tried included baked beans, hush puppies, and slaw. The beans were over seasoned but interesting. The hush puppies were flavorful, but a bit doughy, and would benefit from a condiment other than maple butter (maple syrup would have been better). The slaw complimented the ribs nicely. For some reason, St. Louis BBQ joints are scared of cooking greens, which confounds me. Alas, S+S falls in line with its contemporaries in this regard. The issue I would have with the sides was that their flavored were so disparate - I couldn't find a common thread tying them together. I hope for some refinements from the kitchen soon as things come together.
There is a nice selection of local beers, and the atmosphere is up-casual, with nice seating outdoors. Staff was pleasant if not particularly enthusiastic.

Visited June 2014
St. Louis, MO
“New BBQ in the Loop”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited for the first time yesterday. I don't hold myself out as a BBQ aficionado, indeed it's probably one of my less favorite meals, nonetheless, this BBQ is very good and worth a return trip. The quality is very good and the restaurant probably a little more upscale than most bbq places or restaurants in the Loop--something of which the Loop is in need. There were four of us none of whom had previously eaten here so we sampled the menu. The baby back ribs were very good; the brisket adequate; the smoked chicken wings meaty and good, pulled pork on par with most other places, the toasted ravioli was different, the creamed corn good, and the baked beans a little too salty for everyone's taste. Atmosphere was nice, though not too much different than its predecessor restaurant. Good crowd inside and out--the Loop was humming.

• Visited June 2014