“Do the tour and try the Porter”
Review of O'Malley's Pub

O'Malley's Pub
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Weston
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The food is typical pub fare, nothing glamorous...but good. I don't have anything bad to say about the food. However, the beer is pretty darn tasty. I latched on to a new smoked Porter that they are offering up at the bar and in bottles. It truly stands out above the rest. The Rip Van Winkle bock was my second favorite. The pub is definitely unique. It is housed in 55 ft underground in old lagering caverns/caves that were excavated in the late 1800s. The limestone walls and ceilings add so much to the ambiance that I don't think that it would be as fun of a pub without it. I can't wait to return with friends on a weekend trip from St. Louis.

1  Thank tfurg69

Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I go to Weston a few times a year and we always go to this Irish Pub. Just to be clear, the other reviewers seem to be talking about the atmosphere at the American Bowman which is a restaurant connected to O'Malley's. It is a wonderful restaurant but if you are looking for Irish Pub atmosphere, O'Malley's should be your top choice. They always have live music at night and many times, they have music on the upper and lower stages. The pub has a small "pub grub" menu with sandwiches and a few other appetizers. My favorite is the corned beef. You can also go upstairs and out to the next door and do a takeout order from the American Bowman and bring it down because they are owned by the same guys. However, if it is a busy night at the restaurant or pub, they aren't able to do that and you should just head upstairs if you are wanting a full menu. Tip: if you eat at the American Bowman, you won't have to pay a cover charge for the evening band at O'Malley's. If you eat upstairs, the fish and chips are wonderful and should be paired with the equally yummy, cheddar and ale soup. The atmosphere at the pub is truly unique. You walk in the door and immediately head down the stairs. There is a small room with booths and tables at the bottom of that first flight and to the right. There is a short, tunnel-like hallway, to get there. In that room, they have some of the smaller Irish groups. Usually 1-3 people on stage at the most. Most often, Bob Reeder can be found sharing his amazing Irish music. If you continue down the initial staircase, you will then come to a small room with a few tv's for those of you that just have to find out the score of the latest game. Continuing down, you enter into a huge room with two levels of seating. This is where either the big groups play or the smaller groups with a huge following when the upper room is closed. This bar brews their own beer. There is a brewery on the property. You can actually take a tour of the bar, brewery and main street with a guide that shares some of the towns rich history. If you are looking for an evening filled with Irish music and an amazing atmosphere, this is the place for you.

2  Thank marypass
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I recommend the beer cheese soup. I came here on St. Patrick's Day with my whole family and they had a special Reuben Soup I haven't been able to stop thinking about. Ok, so the building is old, dark and the rooms are small - eat the food! In a cute little town. When you are done, walk over to the winery a few blocks away for a tasting.

1  Thank jmlucas33
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I ate at this pub on a busy night, granted there was a free concert in the parking lot, and it was the 2nd Saturday shopping event in Weston. So they were slightly busy, there was a 30 minute wait to eat on the patio and a 10-15 minute wait inside. It was very hot, the front dining rooms weren't air conditioned and there was no electricity in the front room. Dining was by candelight, so it was very dark in the front room. Luckily we got seated in the back, and we had coupons for a free appetizer. When they sat us they did warn us that the kitchen would be slow, since they were so busy. We ordered drinks and appetizers, ended up waiting an hour for the appetizers. Then salads came with our meals, and we waited another half hour after the appetizers. The wait was sooooooo long for our food, we got very bored, the chairs were very hard and uncomfortable to sit on for so long. The appetizers were expensive and nothing that spectacular. Our meals finally came 30 mins after our appetizers. I ordered a burger which the average price for a sandwich was around 10 dollars. It was ok, definitely not worth a two hour wait. My friend ordered the O'Malley sandwich and she loved it, but nothing was worth the two hour wait for dinner. By the time we left we had been in the restaurant almost 3 hrs!! The waitress kept apologizing, but it wasn't her fault. The kitchen couldn't handle the volume of people or they lost our order. The manager didn't even come apologize or anything. Definitely wouldn't eat there again, not worth the wait or the price.

1  Thank saiza
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My workmates and I heard about this place and scheduled a work party there for about 20 people, and the management of the place told us they could easily handle it. On arrival we were sent to our private room, decorated well with antiques and historical photos of the town of Weston... Not a bad start... However, there was only one person working the entire place, so getting orders for dinner, drinks, appetizers, etc was problematic at best, causing our group to eat by tables a good 30 minutes between first and last, the whe tome orders were wrong, drinks not brought, no refills on drinks, and a generally poor dining experience. My coffee was cold and I couldn't get anyone to warm it or get me some hot coffee, some of our food was cold and poorly presented, especially the soups. Not to mention it was overpriced for what we got. I had a cup of coffee and an appetizer of cheese spread and crackers and paid $14 after taxes... After dinner and the bills were dropped unceremoniously on the tables the staff dissappeared... We couldn't speak to anyone... Later we asked the server about dinner only to find out he was not a server, waiter, or bartender! Wonder what he really did there, from the service I can only imagine groundskeeping. Parking was in a gravel lot very poorly lighted, begging for a robbery or at least a slip and fall... Steer clear... Weston is a charming place, but this "Irish" pub, by the there is little on the menu belying "Irish", is definately not charming.

2  Thank jerryp182