“Jungle Peace”

Ulu Ulu National Park Resort
Kloof, South Africa
“Jungle Peace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

A combination of Amazing Experiences over the 3 days and 2 nights. Friendly guides. Very interesting speed boat ferry trip to Temburong.
A short drive out of town took us past some great sites which our guides chatted about.
The Long-boat trip to the lodge was fantastic. The guys are very skilled in getting you up river and over small rocky rapids. Arriving at the Ulu Resort deep in the Jungle was such a beautiful site and we were warmly welcomed.
Activities included kayaking, tubing, day and night walks to waterfalls and the best of all... the amazing canopy walk. Definitely do the early morning one to see the sunrise and hear the sounds of the Jungle.
Rooms are Stunning and way more equipped then one would expect to find in the Jungle.
Meals were superb and tasty. A great variety over the 3 days.
The best part of being out there is the Peace. No cell phone signal (fantastic).
Do expect to see Hectic rain! It is after-all the Rain Forrest.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darryl S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

After a ferry ride then a half an hour drive, your jungle adventure begins with a 45 min long boat ride up the river to the resort. As the river was so low, making our way up through the several rapids was a real experience and the scenery on the way there was just breath taking.

Ulu Ulu Resort is located by the banks of the river in the middle of the Temburong National Park so there is no shortage of wildlife to see. During our stay we saw monkeys, small bats, pygmy squirrels, geckos, lizards, frogs and insects galore. At first the number of insects and swooping bats were a bit confronting, however these added to the overall experience and are to be expected when staying in the middle of the rainforest.

Don't expect to loose any weight during your stay here as the food is simply amazing. Breakfast was eggs or toast, followed by freshly prepared local dishes for lunch and dinner that were just incredible.

Whilst we were at Ulu Ulu we did the night walk tour, the canopy walk (twice), tubing and kayacking. My favourite activity however was the afternoon walk through the rainforest to the waterfall where we got to experience a natural fish spa - an experience I'll never forget.

If you want a true wilderness adventure then I would thoroughly recommend Ulu Ulu Resort.

PS. Make sure you bring wet shoes for the water activities and wildlife walks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CathElle01
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Loved every minute of our time here. From the longboat ride upriver, to the dawn breaking over the forest canopy, the night walk...and especially riding down the river on inner tubes! Many thanks to Tom and the staff for a wonderful stay. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dean W
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

The superlatives do not even begin to measure up to the experience of staying here. Located about 90 minutes outside of Bandar Seri Begawan, Ulu Ulu (Meaning more or less the back of beyond) is set on the banks of the Temburong river in the middle of the Ulu Temburong National Park Rainforest.

I stayed two nights there, which was a tough choice. I had only a short stay in Brunei, and I ended up devoting all of it to my visit to Ulu Ulu. I am really glad I did. The resort is heavenly. Really modern, but still very in tune with nature. I didn't do all the activities there were to do, but enjoyed what I did do and loved chilling out by the river. I knew they were looking over every detail when I arrived i my room and there was an essential oil burner scenting the room.

My highlight activity was the night hike up an offshoot of the river to a waterfall. I enjoyed the pre-dawn hike to the canopy walk, but have been on many canopy walks. I had a lot of fun kayaking, but my balance wasn't that great, and I kept capsizing. Mind you, I also seemed to think that was the funniest thing I ever experiences, and I kept laughing--I still am not sure why.

Be advised you need to be comfortable with nature. Nothing ever "visited" my room, but there were all kinds of large bugs like spiny stick insects that were apparent on the walk. We even saw a water-snake during the hike up the stream The guides were very cool, and he seemed more freaked than I was. I was particularly taken with the bats, which are pretty fearless; like all bats, they want no part of humans (getting stuck in your hair is a myth--they avoid people, and their sonar is far too good to get that close to you). The bats would go flying down the outdoor pathways and would always veer off to avoid people. It was really cool! I live in L.A. where we almost never have thunderstorms, and I got to experience an incredible one there.

The food is great and plenty of it. Most of the time I was there, I was the only visitor--I literally had the whole hotel to myself. At lunch time there were visiting tour groups, and food was served buffet style. Otherwise, the served me and I ate outdoors by the river. Food was mostly Chinese/Malaysian and always good. They have filtered water and everyone receives a metal water bottle--to cut down on plastic bottles/litter in the park.

Do bring
Sandals which you can get wet, these are essential for the water hike at night
Mosquito coils (There is apparently no malaria, but when I stayed out at night, I was glad to have them)

Be aware that there is no WiFi and no mobile phone service. Chill and enjoy nature!

Room Tip: I stayed in a family suite on the river, it was about 200 paces from the dining area. This is not a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank santjordi
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and I visited Ulu Ulu in early July and stayed for 2 nights. The scheduled pick up was at 1:30 and the friendly tour guide arrived exactly on time. The excitement and anticipation started with the journey from Bandar. First of all you head off on a water bus up through the mango fringed river at fairly high speed. For someone used to the commute into London this is a heavenly treat on its own. Then comes the minibus ride and then the long-boat journey to Ulu Ulu. The latter just emphasises the fact that this is a trip with a difference as you race up the jungle river on an open boat. I have piloted an open boat in the North Sea and so really appreciated the skill of the boatman. You arrive at this wonderful place and it is an assault on the senses. You can hear the birds and the insects and you just have this amazing view of the rain forest. The rooms are fantastic and spotlessly clean. For Europeans used to the UK climate the air conditioning is really appreciated. We had a verandah suite and they have a day-bed with a fan positioned nearby on the verandah. This is perfect for when you have finished a meal or an activity and you just want to snooze whilst listening to the forest. The activities were great and the staff were very diligent and good at making you feel safe. The food... oh my, the food! I am used to travelling and was expecting the food to be basic. Breakfast was Ok but then you get these freshly cooked and expertly seasoned lunches and evening meals. Having a high tea with sticky rice and coconut filled pancakes followed by dinner at 7 was not good for the waistline! The chef is definitely an asset.

Conclusion, fantastic attentive and helpful staff, clean wonderful rooms, great activities, food to die for... AND its in a rain forest!.. a rain forest... loved it, loved it loved it!

No comment on the fitness centre and pool. Swimming in a jungle river and walking in the jungle is like a million times better than a pool and a gym machine.

Oh hardly saw a mosquito.

Room Tip: we had a river view room. You might find the coming and going of longboats to be a disturbance. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter A
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I think we had smiles on our faces from the time we boarded the boat in Bandar to when we got dropped back the next day. Unfortunately we only did 1 night/2 days (700BND for both of us, including all travel, food and accommodation). We'll definitely stay at least 2 nights next time.
The speedboat through the mangroves and nipa palms was cool. The longboat ride from Bangar was even better. Very relaxing and mood-setting trip to the resort. The closest experience I've had to this is cruising up the Sepik River in PNG in a traditional log canoe.
The friendly service from Eddie and Moot helped make the trip even more special. Thanks also to the smiley chef that catered for us two vegetarians well (just let him know you're happy to eat veto versions of local dishes and he'll cater for you no probs).
The activities were perfect. Just the right amount of exercise. The night walk up the little creek to the waterfall was rad. We saw five species of frogs including the too cool Bornean Horned Frog. The tubing and kayaking were also relaxing. But the highlight for us was the pre-dawn longboat and walk to the sound of gibbons calling.
The only minor negatives were the closure of the suspension bridge (storm-damaged a couple of years ago) and the closed cafe nearby (though this didn't bother us at all).
This resort is a must-do on any trip to Brunei. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra and book one of the Verandah Suites. Verandah Suite 1 is nice and is also close to the res...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrJaseJones
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

What a terrific and unique experience - from the longboat rides in the rain (it is a RAINforest after all!) to exploring little off-shoots of the river on foot by day and by night to climbing very high above the forest canopy up steel walkways and seeing the dawn break - Ulu Ulu is simply magical. The guides were superb, very friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. And to top it all off, a tubing ride down river with pristine forest on both sides - infinitely better than anything you could experience in a commercial water park! All this in a 24 hour stay, unbeatable!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Ulu Ulu National Park Resort? Share your experiences!