“great afternoon”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Tilford
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Second visit with new granddaughter we had a relaxing drink and lunch so nice to be able to have great food and service I find second visit to pub or restaurant is never as good will be going again with family recommend Bookmaker sandwich

1  Thank 126unknown
There are newer reviews for The Donkey

Reviewed 30 July 2014

As a part of the gourmet club I found this pub, and the experience was a very pleasant surprise. It is not the typical pub food, everything is a bit more elaborated, the service was a bit slow because it was very busy, but the board of specials was really really good. Looking forward to try the Sunday lunch

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We chose this country pub/Restaurant after diligent search in the gourmet club and trip advisor!
time on reconnaissance is rarely wasted! we were met by a very pleasant young man, seated inside (elsewhere was just too hot!) . He then served me a beautiful jug of Beer ( Harvey's of Lewes) and my wife a Lager shandy to drink while we chose our food. The food was truly good with a wide choice and little delay.--Wine a trifle pricey-- bur still a perfect country venue. Wish that it was nearer to home! Any excuse to be in the Farnham area--we will be back !

1  Thank alan1142
Reviewed 27 July 2014

What a pleasant surprise when my wife, sister-in law, and myself took Sunday lunch here today, 27/07/14.
This is not the usual pub grub experience where you queue at the bar to place your order with a staff member who wishes he was somewhere else. Upon arriving we was greeted by a lovely lady who showed us to a table in the garden. She was polite and helpful beyond belief as she took our drinks order and gave us the menus. The drinks were promptly delivered to our table buy another very attentive and well mannered waiter. Meanwhile other diners were being attended to by two younger girls who were also just as efficient and extremely charming.
We three all ordered Turkey roast from the Sunday lunch menu and I have to say it was better than excellent. Brought to the table with a seperate tray of mixed vegetables all very nicely cooked. The turkey was tasty and tender and the potatoes were what I call real roast potatoes. Crispy outside and soft in the centre. During our meal the staff were as ever attentive making sure everything was to our liking and ensuring that we had everything we needed.
Now if you expect to see a Donkey at a pub called The Donkey fear not, you will not be disappointed. Next to the Garden is a paddock and much to the delight of kids there are several friendly Donkey's who seem to love the attention the young ones give them. The pub itself sits much lower than the road and if you want to experience this place and you are not from the area you could miss it even though it is visible from the road. Best advice is to put postcode into the Sat-Nav.
The inside of this small but alluring public house is very Oldie Worlde and even the loos still have the old high level cisterns and chains to pull which is a nice touch and in keeping with the charm of the building.
Price wise it is maybe very slightly more expensive than the average pub Sunday lunch but in my opinion it is worth every penny. Drinks prices I would say are average for the area.
I will be recommending The Donkey whole heartedly to friends and will certainly be eating there on many more occasions, being fairly local to the area.
To sum up in a sentence. Nice atmosphere, fantastic staff, wonderful food, need I say more.

1  Thank Colin V
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stumbled across this pub whilst doing an optimistically (too) long (and hot) mountain bike ride and needed some proper food & drink instead of the usual energy gels etc. So glad I did - taking my bike through to the small but adequate garden I was promptly greeted by a friendly guy who offered a cold pint of water for starters, which I followed with a great pint of (Sussex) ale and a delicious "Donkey" club sandwich. All the staff were friendly & helpful, service was prompt, and a pub with character with the donkeys in the small paddock next to the beer garden just topping it all off!