“We had a great meal.”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have visited Austens' twice now and both times the food has been impressive and beautifully presented . We found all the waiting staff friendly and helpful - what they lack in experience they make up for in enthusiasm and a desire to do a really good job. Definitely worth a look if you are in the area. Having chatted to the owners, they are really keen to put right any of the teething problems and are listening to what is being said - as these later reviews seem to show.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

***BEWARE*** - The good reviews about this restaurant were all written before the changes were made and the place renamed as Austins.

The Gun and Spit used to be my favourite restaurant. I would go there as often as possible with my fiancee and whenever we had something to celebrate. We went there today and were massively disappointed.

They have ripped out the medieval fireplace and centuries old mechanical spit and painted the whole place white. There is a replica bronze cannon in the fireplace (which is behind plexiglass - probably to stop the locals either stealing it, or in my case, wanting to fill it with gun powder and a cannon ball and destroy the place).

They have completely destroyed the restaurant with the new decor.

The menu was completely different, only offering a very small selection of roast dinners. I thought the steak at the Spit was the best in Kent, but its not even on the very small menu we were offered.

We asked where the spitroast machinery and the ancient fireplace metal backing was and were told its in storage (read - its been sold for scrap).

Without a spitroast they couldnt call it the Gun and Spit so have renamed it Austins.

I am all for updating things and generally dont have a problem with it but by making the changes they have, they have completely ripped the soul out of what used to be a very romantic restaurant I would be happy to take anyone to.

Despite the place being empty (and never having had to book in the past) we were squeezed into the corner out of the way by the toilets.

Having already been extremely disappointed and upset at what they had done to our favourite restaurant, we got up and told them we were leaving before they could come and take our order.

Unfortunately, we will never go back there again.

2  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

As this was our first (and probably last) visit I can't comment on the recent changes to restaurant. However I can say that I found it completely lacking in atmosphere, bland and unimaginative decor and very average standard of food.
The young waiting staff were pleasant enough but not what I would call enthusiastic or professional.
I think that my cold soup starter was tasty enough but there was so little of it that I couldn't be sure! The fish was well cooked but no better than an average main course.
All in all a boring restaurant which doesn't offer value for money.

2  Thank Valchi
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My fiance and i chose to try the chefs tasting menu, as a little celebration of 4 weeks until we get married. It did not dissapoint.
We arrived early and chose to have a drink in the pubs beer garden first. at roughly the time our table was booked for, the waiter(Fraser) came into the pub found us and showed us to our table. He was helpful, friendly, knowledgable and polite. A pleasure to deal with.

The food was imaculately presented and deliscious. the portion sizes were small, as is to be expected from a tasting menu, but were perfectly sufficient for our enjoyment. We left the restaurant feeling full, but that good full feeling rather than that bloated over eaten fullness!

I am shocked to read the poor reviews, and frankly find it hard to believe as a result of our excelent experience.

massively reccomended.

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a very nice Sunday lunch here the other weekend. We had intended only having the main course priced at £12.95 but decided to have starters too. Very nice salmon dish and a tomato salad, followed by lamb and pork. The vegetables were really tasty as were the roast potatoes. Good sized portions too. We also had desserts/cheese (paid extra for the cheese course, why do restuarants always do that!?). Overall the food was very good. We were pleased as this place is local for us (just down the road and we had been eating at The Gun on and off for years) and, having tried Austen's previously when it first opened, we had left (having had the tasting menu) rather disappointed.

The service on this occassion was excellent (with the ever knowledgeable and attentive Fraser at the helm we expected no less!).

We will certainly return again for Sunday lunch and will most likely try the mid week menu too. Hopefully it will live up to the Sunday lunch expereince.

I have to say that I too am unsure about the model cannon replacing the spit roast. However, I was more disappointed that the Inglenook itself had been boarded up. I will miss the blazing fire in the winter time after a long, chilly walk through the orchards.

Can recommend for Sunday lunch!

1  Thank ICK23