“Wow - What A View!!!”

Beartooth River Ranch
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Out my bedroom window, I see the stunning Beartooth mountains . . . from the front porch, I see the Beartooth River with a backdrop of plateaus . . . I am definitely NOT in Iowa any more!

I recently got the privilege of spending 4 wonderful days at the Beartooth River Ranch . . . and it was a real treat! The accommodations are the perfect compliment to the gorgeous Montana views - a relaxed, comfy, put-your-boots-up kind of place. Each guest room has its' own theme, all to fit the Montana experience. My room was clean, neat, with plenty of room to enjoy, and a queen sized bed that seemed to beg me to sleep in a little longer. (I obliged)

There is a large community 'living room', dinning area and kitchen for all to enjoy and use. I can see this being the perfect place for a family reunion or company retreat. Plenty of space for various activities and a full, well equipped kitchen - all the little extra touches such as western themed dinner ware, leather branded key-chains, and pine wood rockers made the experience feel so special and definitely not ordinary! I even fell in love with the friendly ranch dogs that came and went throughout my stay. (Hi Maddie!)

Tanya wins all-around high point when it comes to the perfect host - besides being bubbly, available if you need her, and a wonderful cook, she is the real deal. I look forward to my next visit to the Beartooth River Ranch!

Room Tip: There are a few rooms right off the common area, and the rest of them are along the front porch - I...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jodie B

Reviewed 15 July 2013

You have to visit Tanya and Mike. We could not have been made more comfortable. We were made to feel like we were at home. We could not have asked for more. Our short visit of two days was absolutely perfect - we were all sad to leave! Tanya and Mike were not only fabulous hosts, they were awesome! Our new friends in Montana, we cant wait to go back

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy-Springboro
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have stayed here two days at a time for two years in a row. We’ve been visiting the area for more than 15 years and only discovered the Beartooth River Ranch last year. It’s a very clean place with nice bedrooms adjoining a large common area done in beautiful pine.

It’s quiet and sits off by itself near the Clark’s Fork River just a few miles north of the Wyoming border. The bedrooms face the Beartooth Mountains. If you’re on your way to Yellowstone, the Beartooth Highway, or Chief Joseph Highway I would consider this a nice place to stop at, either before going in or after coming out. It’s close and you can wind down in the quiet. If you’re planning on visiting Red Lodge or Cody, or hunting or fishing in the area, I would consider making this your home base. You’ll have the inconvenience of a little drive when you’re ready to go “home” but there’s no comparison to staying in hotel – and it will quickly feel like home to you.

On one visit we had breakfast and on one we did not. The owner, Tanya was willing to supply any meals we wanted – or not – no pressure either way. Got the feeling that she was one of those very competent people who can deal with whatever arises at the last minute. We weren’t looking for entertainment so she was happy to let us be.

Although on the last trip it was unusually hot for the area, a steady breeze kept us comfortable sitting on the deck in the shade. We sat and read while watching the swallows, phoebes, robins, and occasional pheasant around the yard. Their dog, Mattie, also kept us busy bringing sticks for us to throw. No mosquitos -- in June anyway. There’s an outdoor spa, we haven’t tried, but it looked well maintained. We also didn’t play with the horseshoes or Frisbees.

So if you’re planning on racing around seeing some of the sites in this part of Montana and Wyoming, I would definitely recommend you take some time to slow down here. And did I mention quiet yet?

One bit of advice. This is a working ranch. They make their living ranching and not running a guest house. So if you’re looking for the standard big chain greeting when you call, you’ll be disappointed. Neither is it a bed and breakfast where you’ll sit around and chat all day with the retired owner. Likely when you call you’ll leave a message and Tanya will call you back. She seems a pretty nice, regular, hard working person. She’ll be straight with you and tell you what she can do.

Room Tip: All the rooms face west (towards the mountains) and are on same floor. Some rooms open up on the co...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JGMG1730
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belfry
Rock Creek Resort
#2 of 10 in Red Lodge
Lupine Inn
Lupine Inn
#10 of 10 in Red Lodge

Been to Beartooth River Ranch? Share your experiences!