“Breathtakingly beautiful”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
New Mexico
“Breathtakingly beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Reviews should be about the hotel and this one will be. I am starting with the view because it is so amazing. I have been to a lot of hotels and even a lodge or two but this place is a whole new experience.

I was welcomed immediately when I arrived even though it was later in the evening. It is always nice to feel like they are happy to see you.

The room was clean and very spacious. I like being able to unpack my whole suitcase.

The breakfast was good. Im from Texas so biscuits and gravy is always welcome!

The real value though is the staff. Everyone I encountered was friendly and helpful. I have been smiled at and spoken to by every staff member I passed in the hallway or lobby.

I highly recommend making this place a must see for your next business trip or family vacation.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank NewMexicoSkylark2025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The room was large with 3 beds and that's the best I can say. The vent in the bathroom was covered with dust. Behind the toilet seat was dirty. The toilet paper holder was dusty and smudged. The lip of the kitchenette cabinet was covered in dust. I noticed that even the luggage trolley was dusty on top. Yuck and yuck!!!

The kitchenette had cabinets but no dishes. We asked the front desk for a bowl to use in the microwave (at first they said there were dishes in the room). They had to find us one and when they brought it to the room it had a large crack and big chip. They said that was the best they could find.

The fridge hummed loudly. We turned the A/C on for a few minutes and had to turn it off because it was so noisy.

Breakfast was good but the 2 very nice ladies working it could have used some help. There was a bus tour staying there and they were ravenous to the point that it was difficult to keep things filled. They could also use more tables to eat at.

We did tell the manager and he was apologetic about the issues.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank GretchenDT
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've stayed at the lodge several times over the past 5 plus years. The location and value have always brought me back to this wonderful place in Big Sky. Lately I have noticed several improvements. Lighting in the hallways, It used to be so dark. Better breakfast, For many years there were microwaves and frozen everything, now there is more variety and hot choices. The thing I noticed most on my last trip is that Ryan is back.
Ryan is the most helpful staff member I have ever had dealings with at any hotel on any vacation. His demeanor has always been helpful and professional, in that order. It is my understanding that he has just been promoted to Manager and I believe this will be a new stability that the Lodge has sometimes lacked.
Stephanie at Check-in was efficient and friendly. In the morning Dustin, was helpful with potential advice for the day. We didn't have any other staff interaction on this trip as it was a slower time of year.
The adjoining rooms that my family of 7 shared on the 4th floor were very accommodating. Pull out couch made it especially nice to maintain peace with the children. The rooms had different linens, one was better than the other but both were fine. The kids enjoyed the hot tub and pool and spent too much on candy and ice cream at the gift shop.

Overall, thanks to all the staff for a relaxing trip.

Room Tip: We were in adjoining rooms on the 4th floor, For our family of 7 it was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JLMED
Spokane, Washington, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We arrived at the Lodge to find the front desk agent sitting on the lower part of the counter texting on her cell phone. Not quite the greeting you would like as a guest at a hotel. The gal finally got up when we looked at her. After she checked us in we headed to our room. We opened the door we saw that the room was still dirty from whomever stayed in there last. The beds were unmade and room was not clean. I went back to the front desk and told the front desk agent what we saw. She then assigned us another room. This one was decent enough to sleep in but overpriced for the comfort level of the mattress and the low grade comforters on the beds.

The following morning we went down at 8:30am to have the free continental breakfast. I went up to get coffee and someone rudely cut me off so they could get juice. It was the morning front desk agent! She was making herself breakfast and made sure she was first in line! Then she went behind the front desk and was eating and drinking as guests came up to asked her questions! That was completely unacceptable! We went through the breakfast line which was very unkept and all the tables to sit at had the last guests residue all over them. We began to eat and it was not good. The scrambled eggs were awful! Most of the hot foods were cold. We ended up having to eat at the mountain village since it was so bad!

So we went back to our room to pack up. As I was checking around on the floor to make sure I picked up everything I found a someone else's dirty long underwear bottoms hanging half was out from under the bed! Gross! At one point while we were packing we opened a window to cool off. Before we left we went to shut the window and latch broke off so we could not shut it. We went downstairs and began our check out with the front desk agent. I told her about the dirty long underwear in the room and she didn't care. I then told her about the window and said they should have a maintenance person to come fix it right away. After that, we packed up our car and and were ready to have the hotel shuttle to take us to the mountain. The front desk person is also the shuttle driver! How weird is that! We waited for her to finish her yogurt and then she took us to to mountain. She told us that the shuttle pick up times began at 3:00pm and came every 15 minutes for pick up.

We skied all day and began waiting for the shuttle at 3:20. So we waited for the shuttle, 3:30 came and went. Pretty soon it was close to 3:45pm and no shuttle. Thankfully the parking lot shuttle personnel asked if we needed a ride and we said "YES"! He asked where we were staying and took us there! How nice was that! Well, we got back to hotel parking lot and saw the shuttle just sitting there. How crappy! Once we walked down to our car we could see the outside of the room we stayed in. The window was still open! We paid $198.00 including resort tax for that place for one night and we were not impressed in the least! Stay somewhere else if you want some quality service! The quality and service is just not there!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amy K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed at the Lodge for 5 nights in the last week of March. Felt like they were winding down for the season as there were staff shortages and not many people about. Our room wasn't cleaned one day, and other days given a quick once over as they were short of staff, which was fine with us. Decor is pretty tired and could really use a face lift, but rooms are a really good size and bed was comfortable.
The hot tubs were great and obviously looked after. Continental breakfast was included, which was perfectly adequate. One point for the hoteliers is whether they could use some kind of re-usable or biodegradable plates and cutlery. The polystyrene plates and cups were not very environmental friendly.
The resort overall was very mountain orientated and definitely didn't have the nice village feel of some other places, such as Breckenridge. The mountain itself is brilliant, loads of space and hardly any people.
I would stay at the Lodge again, especially if it has a face-lift, fairly basic but decent and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
North Bend, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel would have been terrific if we got what we paid for. We reserved a view room. When we got there our "view" was of the parking lot from the ground floor. We showed the front desk our reservation which stated VIEW right on it. They told us that was deceiving and offered us a view room for $20 more. Extremely frustrating.

Room Tip: Be sure you get the room you expect.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gary C
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

After having stayed at the other accommodation at the mountain base every year for over 15 years, we decided to try The Lodge when the other site's prices rose drastically this season. We were not disappointed. We had a double queen room 110, which was NOT the basement, but a large lower level room with a huge window looking out on a pine-covered snow bank and a view of Lone Peak. The room was quiet & comfortable with a microwave and frig, and spacious bathroom. Plenty of closet/drawer space too. The indoor pool and 3 outdoor hot tubs were immaculately clean, perfect temperatures, and great jets. All the staff were helpful and friendly. The ski shuttle was frequent and on-schedule. Breakfast in the pleasant fireside lobby/lounge was not elaborate, but adequate. I see from the management's replies that they are planning some refurbishing. I hope that means replacing the tired bed linens and towels. Otherwise, we had no complaints and would definitely stay here again. Also, the parking is more convenient better than the other accommodation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mooff
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
We appreciate your business and appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay. We are delighted to hear that your stay was enjoyable:) and yes the linen and terry is in transition now as we start our slower season and time allows for the needed change outs.
Thanks again and we look forward to you visiting us again:)