“Understaffed”

The Summit At Big Sky
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I just read these reviews and it's right on. Check in is at 5pm check out is 10am. That's 7 hours to clean the rooms... That should pretty much tell you right there how understaffed they are. Horrid service in all the restaurants, I could go on..

Amazing sking but a monkey could run this place better.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here again and enjoyed a wonderful Christmas. Staff is so kind and helpful. Davis did the housekeeper for our room and is such a nice guy and does a great job.
Stayed in rooms 611 and 612--two bedroom setup. This is the corner unit with huge picture windows overlooking the base area and the mountain. Great to eat breakfast and watch the staff set up the chairlifts and the patrol and patrol rescue dogs hop on the lifts before they open. You can also make out the lightup board that has the lift and run status and grooming info from this room.
Just an FYI if you are stopping at the supermarket before arriving--this unit has a full kitchen stocked with all pots/pans, coffee restocked daily, aluminum foil, sponge, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, salt and pepper and there is a wine bottle opener. This unit was at the end of the hallway away from the noise of the elevator (loud "ding") and there is no unit next to the master bedroom (emergency stairway) so no potential neighbor noises. I think we'll stay in this unit next time. We have also stayed in 630/631 in the past--a one bedroom plus studio which was also great and a little less $ but smaller. That unit also has a neighboring emergency stairway so was quiet and is away from the elevator enough. Beautiful views of the Spanish Peaks mountain ranges from that unit--sunsetting on those is spectacular!
Enjoy the skiing--you'll get a lot of runs because you will not be in any lift lines. We had no liftlines Christmas week!! We got first run of the season on run named Marx--patrol dropped the rope on the traverse over to it right in front of us--great timing.

Room Tip: Solace spa is a treat, see room notes above.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank bigsky3
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The service here is what really stood out here. Everyone was very friendly and eager to make sure we all of our needs were promptly met. The room was OK. We stayed in a standard hotel room, the best feature being a very comfortable bed. The location was awesome -- right in the center of the village. The complimentary breakfast buffet was very nice, although as with many of the meals we had in Big Sky, not the best for those following a plant-based diet (i.e. avoiding meat and dairy). We did use the hot tub which was having some operational issues and could have been hotter. But they do offer bar service at the hot tub! Not a complaint, really, but the Summit is touted as a four-star hotel ... while it might be four stars relative to other Big Sky hotels, it isn't four stars relative to other four-star hotels, such as Four Seasons.

Room Tip: We did not have a mountainside room, but it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Spent the past week here over Xmas. Staff couldn't be nicer and more accommodating. Big Sky is a great resort that feels down to earth and all about the skiing. Our 1 bedroom condo is overlooking the gondolas and the views are spectacular. The room is very clean and has everything you need: full kitchen, dining table, big televisions, comfy couches. The bathrooms are pretty simple -- nothing luxurious but Big Sky doesn't seem to do the luxurious thing anyway. The complimentary breakfast is awesome and I am so appreciative of all the gluten free alternatives they have.

My two big cons: ski locker should be on second floor (not ground floor) so you don't have to walk down stairs to put your skis away. Huge inconvenience and a big drag. The last day here though it seems they started an outside ski concierge which is great. They should advertise it since the locker room situation isn't great. Second con is the hot tub/pool situation. It's just not hot enough to be relaxing and management said they can't make it hotter? Big bummer.

Room Tip: We are facing the mountain and views are amazing. BUT you hear the groomers all night long. Have to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dreamingmother
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Summit is right next door to Huntley - I found it to be prettier and more romantic - I stayed in a 'Spa Room', with a big snuggly bed, gas fire and spa bath in the bedroom.

I can't recommend this room highly enough for couples. It was beautiful, with a fantastic view - so romantic.

If I were being picky - I found the room service reasonably upsetting, with a clear focus on quantity over quality.... retrospectively I feel I may simply not have been prepared for American food. I would however like to commend the staff on being particularly accommodating of me with my late night arrival and empty stomach.

I liked Summit best for quality and value of all the properties I saw in Big Sky.

Room Tip: If you're travelling alone, don't stay at Summit - you will spend the whole trip planning to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have stayed at the Summit a couple times and it has always been excellent. We usually get a 1 Bedroom Suite with a King Bed, which also has a murphy bed and sofa bed in the other room. That way each of our kids get their own bed, and we get our own bedroom with a king bed. The king bed units are also quite a bit larger than the others which is nice.

Breakfast buffet in the morning is always great. Can't beat the location, the lift is literally right outside the door. We all love the indoor/outdoor hot tub after a long day on the slopes, too. Kids have enjoyed the games and stories that they have in the evenings also.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite with king bed, sleeps 6 and has lots of room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel is in Big Sky, right at the base of the ski lifts...ski in, ski out. I was there in the fall, and the hotel and the resort were pretty empty, and no matter how hard people try to make these places into 4 season resorts, a ski resort in the fall is not the most attractive place in the world, particularly when not much is open, a lot of construction is going on as they get ready for the ski season, etc. That being said, the Summit is pretty nice. The hotel itself is very big, and not surprisingly, feels and looks a lot like a ski lodge. My room was very large...lots of room for ski equipment, etc. The staff was great...very friendly, very welcoming, and very helpful.I was there for business meetings, and the only meals I had (one group dinner and one breakfast on my own) were fine, but I suspect that when the hotel is full, it will be difficult to get into the restaurant.

The hotel worked well for our group, and if I were to come back for skiing, i would probably vote to stay here, if for no other reason than the proximity to the ski slopes...which look pretty interesting.

Room Tip: Get a slope side room if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business