Stayed in my favorite hotel in Big Sky again. Again took the corner unit facing Lone Peak. If you can afford it, this is the place to stay in Big Sky. Service level is improved even from prior visit. we were greeted with a stack of huge baked cookies and a four pack of ski DVDs on arrival. Front desk phoned up shortly after check in to see if accomodations were all OK. Bell staff (cowboys) were waiting when we pulled up to check in and they brought our bags and week's worth of groceries and Costco items up to the room quickly. Free valet parking -- indoor garage in sublevels of the hotel--nice when you call for your car it is nice and warm and no snow to sweep off.
I first got around to skiing Big Sky at Christmas 2004. I have skied no where else since. This is the best ski area for me--awesome mountain with challenges for every level skier ( I survived the Big Couloir) and never a lift line (except the tram on sunny days--they let sight seers up so they fill the line--30-40 minutes on those days). I have previously skied many areas out west and in Canada (Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Whistler, Vail, Beavercreek, Steamboat, Alta, Canyons, Deer Valley, Park City, Taos, Sunshine, Big White, Whitefish, Revelstoke, etc) so I can compare.
The Summit is a Condohotel so as such it is a combination. You have the benefits of a hotel (spa, pool, service, twice daily maid service,ski valet*) and the condo aspect of a kitchen and in room dining area.
*Ski valet--this is new this season. The hotel is right next to the two main highspeed lifts (Ramcharger and Swiftie) and your skis are kept oon th patio right next to the lift. They check them in and out for you, they have carried my wife's skis over to the lift for her and when you ski up at day's end they pick them up and put them in the racks for you. Last time anyone did that for me was in Courchevel 1800--Hotel de Niege.
Also, be aware the Summit is the only accomodation that is right at the lifts. Huntley Hotel and the Shoshone have a lift out front of them but it is the Explorer beginner's double chair. If you stay there just be aware there is a 100 yard hike to the main lifts in the morning (you can manage to ski back to those accomodations though--so they are Ski-in but not ski-out.
If you stay and get the breakfast plan included be aware that that is the Peaks restaurant in the hotel which is good, but also you can take a short walk over to the Huntley breakfast buffet which is a feast and is included as option (double check that they don't change that).
TIPS FOR TRAVEL: Bozeman (BZN) is the closest airport (~ 1 hr drive), options of Helena, Billings, and Butte are going to add a lot of road travel. You actually land in Belgrade when going to BZN. There are several good Grocery chains in Bozeman (Smith's, Superwalmart, Target, and also a Costco)--all on the Belgrade side of town just go East on I-90 one exit. Rental cars are plentiful and if booked well in advance will run you $300-400 a week for standard SUV (Hotwire can be good or directly with Alamo or Hertz). Please note all rental car companies are on airport except Avis (shuttle).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The elegant Euro-Western Summit at Big Sky has been the vacation choice of both President Obama and Vice President Biden. The Summit is one of the finest slopeside properties in the Rockies with primary high-capacity lifts only 100 yards away. The Summit combines luxury appointments with a prime location in the heart of the Mountain Village Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Summit At Big Sky reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Summit At Big Sky Hotel Big Sky
- Summit Hotel Big Sky
- Summit Big Sky
- Big Sky Summit
- The Summit At Big Sky Montana