“Service a little forgetful”
Review of River Rock Lodge

River Rock Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Checked in about 2pm, had a room ready, or so they thought.
The previous occupants flooded the bathroom and adjoining carpet , so housekeeping set up a fan to dry the carpet. They came back to check on the progress once, and never came back. I had to take the fan downstairs to the front desk around 7 pm... No elevator on the property. Didn't leave spare toilet paper..almost ran out..ok cold continental breakfast. Walking distance to many restaurants..try Choppers, 4 min walk, great Bison burger.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My son and I stayed here as it is close to the best whitewater rafting in the country, and fly fishing, ziplining, and horseback riding; all right there in Big Sky, Montana. It is about 40 minutes to Yellowstone, and so much nicer than the lodging in West Yellowstone. We enjoyed the little town in the meadow of Long Mountain, in which River Rock Lodge is located. The ride up to Big Sky Resort is gorgeous; we saw bears each time we drove up. The town has a nice movie theater, game center, and restaurants. There are many nice hiking and biking trails on the way to Yellowstone. This is a great place to stage your trip to Yellowstone.

Room Tip: We stayed in June, and our timing turned out perfect for the weather and the crowd (lack thereof).
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PitLee
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel delivered in a pinch, but it wasn't anything special, especially for the price. Light continental breakfast is served. Hotel has an outdoor hot tub. Room was roomy, but bedding is worn (top,sheet had visible tear), pillows were blah.

We arrived in Big Sky late (damn Siri who told us to hike in the rest of the way!). We'd decided to golf first thing the next morning so stopped by the course to try and make a tee time and to get recommendations for lodging. Like most winter resort towns, Big Sky is making quite a business out of the off season. We were warned that rooms would be expensive and were directed to River Rock Lodge for its central location.

Chase, at the desk was lovely. He made check-in a breeze and suggested some dinner options. We dumped our bags in the room and did the opposite, oops ;). What can I say? When given the option of fine dining or hanging with the locals, snowboarders and wing nuts - I'm going for the latter. I love dinner theater :)

Back "home" for the night the little revelry we enjoyed over our large room was soon squelched by the fact that we could hear everything, I mean, everything from the room above us. I don't think these were unusually loud guests, I think the insulation between floors/rooms is nil. No worries, I flicked on the A/C which fixed the problem, in fact, I could no longer hear my husband next to me! It was a short night and after a quick piece of toast and more average coffee we checked out on our way to golf.

Room Tip: Don't take a lower floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

For an introduction to Big Sky, a resort and residential community built around impressive ski slopes, the River Rock Lodge is well situated (not on a river) within walking distance a variety of restaurants, shops and movie theatre. We think the Montana (western) decor tasteful and rooms large and well equipped. The only issue we have is the beds are surpassed in this time with better mattresses (memory foam) in today's five star rated hotels.

Impressed with the overall standard of residential area, a golf course, and six miles up the scenic valley, hotels, accommodations and ski facilities of the best to be found anywhere, we will likely stay here on a ski vacation in due course. Were it not that I own an apartment in Connemara, Ireland I would seriously contemplate a place here.

Were it not for plans to again visit Yellowstone, conveniently about an hours drive to west entrance gate, we would have happily stayed several more nights.

Rod Patteson
North Carolina

Room Tip: We rented rooms 205 and 208, whilst no great mountain views, the excellent tree plantings offer a fe...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My bad, but I thought the River Rock Lodge would be on the river. Knowing the Gallatin River flows near Big Sky I made the assumption we would be staying on the river. That disappointment aside, we were very pleased with this property. The Montana decor is perfect and the staff was quite accommodating re turning on fire places and keeping the ambiance going - particularly since it was in the 30'a in the mornings - and this was mid-June! The Continental breakfast was just adequate ... really nothing but carbs - all varieties of toast, bagels, donuts, etc. No protein and only some tired fruit. Rooms were lovely, spacious and a second luggage rack was brought on request. Location is good for walking to just about anything in Town Center ... and really not that far from the Meadow area, if the weather had been a little warmer.

Room Tip: Be prepared to schlep your bags upstairs, as no elevator service.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I agree with the "average" reviews. This is a low-end, but adequate hotel. But, beware: there is negligible shuttle service to the mountain village. The small "Skyline" buses have room for two dozen riders, and service only runs once an hour! (So, late afternoon transport back from the mountain is like winning a lottery; if there's no more room, you have to wait another hour!) Since taxis are very rare, it is absolutely essential to rent a vehicle (nearest in Bozeman).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank matt c
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Wonderfully comfortable, all the way from the check-in, personnel on staff, and the room itself. Very clean, well-kept property, with easy access to golf, mountainside, or the "center" of Big Sky. Excellent advice given by an number of different people at the front desk area (over a period of four days here). I would have no reservations about heartily recommending this Lodge for your stay in the area.

Room Tip: Some look towards an infrequently used parking lot -- no problem for us, however.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fuzzytop
RPMBigsky, Manager at River Rock Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I hope we get to see you again!