“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Missoula, Montana
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I am writing about the staff at the check in desk at the Huntley Lodge. Our group was staying at a Condo, but we were required to check in at the Huntley. When I first made the reservation for the Condo, I spoke to a young man who acted like he could not wait to get off the phone, and was not at all helpful about my questions.

I called a second time at a later date for some more questions, and spoke to a woman who was more pleasant. I asked if it was possible to get an early check in. She asked how early and since I assumed the regular check in time was 3:00 PM I asked for a noon check in. She told me no problem and she would put us down for a check in at noon.

We arrived at 1:00 PM and when I tried to check in, I was told by the staff that the Condo wasn't ready. The girl at the desk told me that we could park in the 20 minute visitor parking while we waited, and she would call my cell phone to let me know it was ready. By 3:30 still no call so I went back to the desk. A young man helped me, and told me that the Condo was not yet ready. I told him that we had requested an early check in, to which he said that check in time is 5:00 PM. I then asked why no one mentioned that to me at the time I requested early check in. No response. He again said he would call us.

At 4:30 still no call so I decided to just go back and wait at the desk. A completely different group of people were at the desk so obviously there had been a shift change. When I asked again if our Condo was ready, the young man checked and said yes it was ready. (I am guessing that it had been ready but the previous people did not want to take the time to check us in)

Once we got to the Condo, it wasn't very clean, and the bedspreads were all messed which gave the appearance that the cleaning people hadn't even changed the sheets. Then to add insult to injury, once we got home from our vacation, I opened my charge bill and the check in desk had charged me for the stay three times, thus tripling my credit card bill. It is unfortunate that the owners of the condominiums have to let the Huntley manage their rentals, because they do a bad job and the owners are not getting their money's worth.

I'm not sure why people who are put in customer service jobs are not taught how to give good customer service. I won't do business with them again... I'll be searching elsewhere for a rental in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BigSkyResort001, VP Lodging at Huntley Lodge, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear: Judy

We are very sorry that you had the experience that you did here with us at Big Sky Resort. I am taking your feedback very seriously and we are addressing the items you have told us about now. Your experience is certainly not the norm nor is it acceptable. If you have issues with your bill that are unresolved please contact us at info@bigskyresort.com.

Sincerely

Barb Rooney
VP Lodging

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Santa Rosa Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

After a 7 night stay, it was easy to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the Huntley Lodge. The breakfast buffet and staff in Chet's Grill were great. The food was consistently good. Unfortunately the housekeeping was nearly nonexistent. Over the 7 day period, our room was never vacuumed, the toilet and tub were not cleaned and the beds were not made 3 out of 7 days.
After contacting the housekeeping staff on one of the days that the room was not cleaned, the staff arrived at 5pm and only spent 5 minutes replacing towels and straightening out the bedding. The sheets were never changed in 7 days. If it weren't for the location of the lodge, I would recommend that you consider other options in Big Sky.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take our customer's reviews and feedback to heart. Your description of our housekeeping services do not match that which our team strives for. You and our staff should expect more. Please accept our sincere apologies We will share your comments with our housekeeping team and use them to make improvements for your next visit. We invite you to come and give the Huntley another chance. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable please contact us directly at info@bigskyresort.com. Thanks again for your feedback.
Billerica, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Location is great here. The lobby is beautiful and comfortable. The beds were comfy too. Staff was very friendly, especially the ones that worked at Chets, the restaurant there. Food was good too! We did have a great view from our room and could see the groomers out every night.
My complaint was the maids were awful! I had to call to have my room cleaned. They missed us a few days so we had to go grab towels. Our toilet clogged twice and our shower/tub was clogging. Also there was no fan in the bathroom and there was mold on the ceiling. Gross, and it caused my allergies to flair up. The shower head isn't high either. I'm 5'4" and I had to bend a bit to get under it. Found that funny. Bathrooms were a little dated and we were told we had one of the older rooms.
The room was nice I thought. Some stuff a little out dated but it was cozy and a good size. I wouldn't pay $300 or more to stay here....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We love to hear from our guests and take their comments to heart. We are very sorry to hear about the issues you mentioned above with your room. Your description most certainly does not match the level of cleanliness our team strives for. Please accept our sincere apologies. A member of our team will be contacting you shortly for additional information. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Girdwood, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Huntley Lodge is an OK hotel. Moderate rooms. A little outdated. The great thing about this hotel is the location. Ski in, Ski out. Another nice feature is the complimentry breakfast buffet. I have dined at many comp buffets in the past, and this one is very good. Wide variety of selections. Waffle and omelet stations. Also, the servers are really nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We love the Huntley Dining Room buffet! It's a hard one to beat and one of our team's favorites. Thanks for taking the time to share your Huntley experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and review. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable.
Helena, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Huntley Lodge is one of the original buildings at Big Sky. It shows its age but is still comfortable and clean. We had plenty of room, a wonderful view of Lone Peak, and comfortable beds. The included breakfast buffet is huge.

The best things about Big Sky are the staff and the skiing. You don't encounter crowds. You can find terrain for every ability. You feel welcomed there.

A note about the staff:

I was in the room when our bags were delivered. I offered the young man a tip but he said, "Oh no, your husband already tipped me." That is impressive. Anything we asked for was tended to promptly.

Huntley Lodge is near the lifts and convenient to the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D0nlan40
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the great review. We will share your kind words and comments with our team. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable please just let us know.
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

If your a skier, you know about Big Sky...It's a great mountain, big, with good snow, and no Summit County Crowds. But maybe you haven't been there yet...then let me clue you in. The Huntley Lodge sits at the base very close to its counterpart, the Summit Lodge. While the Summit appears to be the, "upscale," sister the Huntley is a bit of a step-child. Our room (112) was at the end of a hall on the first floor that, while convenient to the close-by lift access, was short on hot water + heat. To this end, the lodge experienced two conditions while we were there: the first was a record cold snap (-30 deg. F.), the second a full house due to several overlapping conventions. At first our room was too warm so we turned the heat down until we heard a, "click," from the thermostat. After that we endured three days @ 65 deg. F. The staff (very friendly) finally delivered a portable heater after a technician (very cute female...if you can believe that) couldn't diagnose the problem. A second trip to the front desk involved a complaint that we didn't have hot water (after the first day). To this we were told the lodge was, "full," + that we were probably trying to get HW at, "peak hours." I still find it mildly amusing that we had to endure these inconsistencies when every dollar we gave them seemed to work...consistently. Lastly, on the cold front, I will mention that the breakfast area was so cold we regularly had to wear jackets in the morning (this was especially true when they placed us near the double story window where it was absolutely freezing). So then, beyond, "peak hours," and the cold snap, both hot tubs made available to us were just this side of disgusting. Floating hair and debris were prevalent in both. To be fair, I will say that the staff was amazingly courteous in all matters and that I was told the hot tubs were cleaned up after an initial gripe. But there it is...the Huntley is an old building literally being supported by a young energetic staff. It needs to be revamped, or, as our tech. said, "bulldozed and rebuilt." If you go to Big Sky, upgrade to the Summit if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ends. If the hotel gets loaded up these rooms seem to run out of hot water first.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bumpjumper
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your Huntley experience with us. We love to hear from our guests and take their feedback to heart. On behalf of our team please accept our apology for any inconvenience these issues may have caused. We will share your comments and suggestions with our team to help make your next visit more enjoyable. If you have any additional suggestions for our team please direct them to info@bigskyresort.com.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The location is great, that is the absolute best part of the place. The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and everything you need is right there. My only complaint about the room was how cold it was, but of course it was about -30 when we were there. The hot tubs were clean and wait staff came out to check on you. The spa was wonderful and the massage therapist was great. People stay there for the breakfast buffet, and it is good. You can fill up for a full day of skiing. Again, all the staff from breakfast waiters, to the front desk, to housekeeping were super nice.

So my only negatives are the cold rooms and yes, it is a little loud in there, but tolerable (bring ear plugs if you are a lite sleeper).

Oh, super great tip- call the front desk when you get there and ask for a rope. They are great for the hot tub.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 319ellenp
Thanks for such a nice review. We appreciate your time and your business. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit more enjoyable please just let us know.