Our family stayed in a one bedroom and loft corner condo unit on the top floor during the week following New Years Day. I was generally pleased with the accomodations based on the discounted package I was able to book, which included daily breakfast and lift tickets for all four of us.
1. Gorgeous view of the slopes, particularly in the morning. The view of Lone Peak is nice especially when the sun comes out.
2. Unit is well maintained and spacious. Decorated in a tasteful western/ranch theme, with little wood indians. Furniture, carpets, paint and flat screen televisions all look relatively new.
3. Front lobby bell staff and the ski storage room staff are both friendly and helpful. I used the overnight wax service provided by the nice gentleman who operates the basement storage area (which is complimentary to the guests) and he did a nice job on my skis.
4. Buffet breakfast in the Huntley Dining Room (which is connected to the Shoshone by a short walk down a hallway) was better than most hotel buffets.
5. Housekeeping service was thorough.
6. Wifi signal was strong to our condo unit.
7. There is a nice coffee bar in the lobby area.
1. The check-in waiting time (at 8 pm) was atrocious, at least 20 minutes standing in a slow-moving line. To check in you must go to the Huntley Lodge front desk, and they are understaffed. Not a great first impression when you get to the hotel. Lots of other employees standing around watching the line, but nobody helping to facilitate the check-in line.
2. The hot water took a ridiculous amount of time to get to the unit - you have to run the shower for something like 5-8 minutes before you get hot water. This is at any time of the day or night. The building obviously has uninsulated hot water pipes that are located far away from the 7th floor. This is not just inconvenient, it is very wasteful of the water.
3. The kitchen stove, dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator look like they are from the 1970's - seriously. They all worked fine, but the really old age of the appliances particularly stand out compared to the rest of the unit.
4. The laundry room is difficult to find (many of the staff do not know where it is), and the machines are old and inefficient. It took 3 drying cycles to dry one smaller-than-average load of laundry, meaning it cost about $6 in quarters and four hours to do one load of laundry.
Suggestions if you are staying there:
1. Although there is free ski storage provided in the basement of the hotel, it is still somewhat of a hike, uphill, to get to the lifts, particularly if you have children with you. After the first two days, we rented ski lockers at the Snowcrest Building which is directly across from the lifts, which cost $9 per day but was worth it.
2. The Peaks at the Summit Hotel is a great place for a ski-in lunch. The Summit looked nice, we may try staying there next time we visit Big Sky.
3. Get your groceries at the Albertson's or Lee and Dad's near the airport in Belgrade before heading to Big Sky. Prices there are reasonable and comparable to a grocery store in Los Angeles, and you won't pay the "resort tax" imposed in Big Sky. There is a small grocery store in the Mountain Mall building next to the Shoshone, but it is very expensive, as one would expect for the only grocery store located in a resort area. One gallon of milk costs $8.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Shoshone Condominium Hotel combines the service of a hotel with the comfort of a condominium. This seven story landmark is attached to the Yellowstone Conference Center and Huntley Lodge. Dining and shopping are right out the doors in the heart of Big Sky's Mountain Village. Rooms feature full kitchens, living areas, balconies, scenic views and Boyne Beds. Select rates include breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Shoshone Condominium at Big Sky Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shoshone Condominium At Big Sky Hotel Big Sky
- Shoshone Condominium At Big Sky Resort Montana