“Great service but the cost to stay is disappointing for something called a "resort"”

Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bigfork
Montana
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I rated this very good due to the great service provided by all resort employees we interacted with during our stay. The cost to stay leads you to believe you are staying in a plush resort and will have pampered bedding, bath, etc. but I was disappointed. I wouldn't go back unless we were given a discounted rate, which we were on this trip. The Tiki Bar and the casino have odd hours, closing early on a Friday and Saturday evening, but the employees that work there are great and take customer service seriously. The Sunday Brunch Buffet is $18, we got a discount but I would've paid full price for an excellent meal from prime rib, eggs benedict, bourbon carrots, cook to order omelets, etc. Just don't get your hopes up for anything spectacular at the resort and you will not be disappointed, just expect what you would from an almost above average hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard and having the hot tub and ice machine just across the yard was very conv...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MTflyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at Marina Cay for 5 nights early this month. We rented a 2-bedroom suite in Hill East. The room itself was beautiful and quite comfortable, expect for the bed which appeared to be taken from a dormitory. My major gripe was that only 2 very, very thin hard pillows were provided. The "fully-stocked" kitchen had many pots and pans, but no tin foil, Tupperware, plastic bags--nothing to actually put food in after it was cooked. If my review as based solely on the room it would be a 4.5--certainly recommended.
However, the rest of the property is sub-par. There were never enough towels at the pool so you had to sit right on the chairs and air dry which is so easy to fix that I wonder why they wouldn't invest on this upgrade now. The bathrooms in the lodge are definitely outdated and had an interesting odor about them. Despite being advertised, there was no fitness center--not even a treadmill. The Sunday brunch looked and tasted cheap. The boat rentals were, at minimum, $85.00 per hour which made spending more than one afternoon on a boat unreasonable. Finally, they were generally understaffed in all areas.
With that being said, the staff they did have was FANTASTIC. Brian the GM of the bar/restaurant was great. Jess the mixologist was a gem. Every employee interaction I had was a good one. It is true when they say you are paying for the location because it is beautifully located on Big Fork Bay and a 25 minute walk to downtown Big Fork.
The staff, location, and quality of the specific room I stayed in saved the Marina Cay from a poor review and brought it to slightly above average.

Room Tip: There are stairs everywhere so if you have difficultly with stairs--make sure you mention that to ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Leslie_Venetz
Missoula, Montana, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I staying two nights. Upon arrival for check-in I was booked into a room with one bed after I had reserved a room with two queen beds. Not such a big deal and could obviously forgive that the desk clerk had made an honest mistake. The room with the one queen bed was beautiful and I almost wished I could have stayed in that room. Upon entering my new room which I reserved the sight was not so pleasant. The carpet in the room was filthy and stained. The room smelled of must or possibly cigarette smoke, the wooden blinds on both windows were filthy with at least 3 inches of dust, there was garbage under the beds from the previous guest, no directory to anything that the resort offers in the room, sheets are thin and worn, beds are hard and the springs are squeaky and old, the pillows are flat and very uncomfortable, the shower head sprays all over the bathroom, and today when the housekeeping staff entered the room they gave me fresh towels, somewhat made the beds but did not empty the trash cans, provide new coffee, or do any other cleaning up what so ever. The property truly is beautiful and I wish that I had better things to say about my room because i have heard raves about Marina Cay and was very excited to finally stay but at this point I'm really just anxious to get checked out of here in the morning. I'm extremely disappointed that I spent the amount of money I spent on a room like this when I could have easily stayed somewhere else in the area for the same price or probably better and had a much nicer room. I stayed in room 137 in the courtyard.

Andrea Graves
Missoula, MT

Room Tip: Don't stay in 137 in the court yard
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Andrea G
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my wife and I stayed at Marina Cay and if I have a chance to go to Big Fork again I am sure we will stay here again. The service is very good and the rooms are always immaculate. Last time we stayed here we stayed on the ground floor of the waterfront building and this year we stayed on the second floor of the same building. I would recommend the ground floor if you can get it because you walk right out of your room onto a beautifully kept lawn. On the second floor we had a nice balcony.

This truly is a beautiful place to stay with tons of fun things to do right here.

• Stayed August 2013
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed only one night and have done so for years. The grandkids loved the paddle boards, and we all loved the view. The price was right for this time of year. This area is very expensive and our courtyard room was so affordable and met all of our needs. The hot tub was near our room, flowers everywhere, and a great breakfast for a very reasonable price. We went to a play at the Big Fork theatre and as always it was great. We ate at the Show Thyme restaurant and it is an amazing place to eat, gourmet food at a reasonable price. This area of Montana is so beautiful, love Flathead Lake, Glacier Park, and Big Fork is like a small version of Carmel, Ca., but just as beautiful and so much less expensive. Great place to stay with a wide variety of room choices.

Room Tip: condos on the water are worth the expense, courtyard rooms less expensive but totally adequate, but...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank planetearthtour
silver spring md
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed here only one night, but would have liked to have stayed longer. We had a huge room with a king bed, full kitchen, cow hide rug, and furnished patio overlooking the water. The room was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. There was a pool and hot tub. Boats, canoes, paddle boats were all available for rent. There was a Tiki bar, lounge, restaurant, and slot casino on premises. We enjoyed our stay and would love to return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank yodab
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Met old friends for reunion. Signed up last, so had to splurge on large 2 bd room condo. Very new and nicely appointed. View of flathead lake Unit #19-perfect! Nice granite countertops, nice appliances, fireplace, living room, dining area, guest powder grill and washer/dryer! Town of big fork is lovely but don't miss...the short drive to Glacier National Park! Awesome! Boat ride on flathead lake is beautiful too. I agree Montana is LBP..
Last Best Place!

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bigfork
Best Western Plus Flathead Lake Inn and Suites
#2 of 2 in Bigfork
Islander Inn
Islander Inn
#3 of 9 in Bigfork

Been to Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!