“Africa Suite was great”

Swan River Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Bigfork B&B and Inns
“Africa Suite was great”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We researched BigFork and chose the Swan River Inn for its location and the fact that all the rooms were suites. A phone call gave us choices of rooms, and we reserved the Africa Suite. Having been to Africa twice ourselves, we can attest that the decorations are very well done. It was comforatable, clean, and the tin of coffee with the coffeemaker in the bathroom was a great addition. We also enjoyed using the communal porch outside our room that overlooked Flathead Lake.
The town is very artsy and friendly. We enjoyed a play at the summer-stock playhouse. The Inn serves three meals a day but we never did eat there, being out and about.
I would return to this Inn-- the prices were fair for the quality.

• Liked — Convenience, lots of space to relax
  • Disliked — parking was not easy.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montana
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have never written a review before - good or bad. However, my poor experience has motivated me. Like a similar review, I was thrilled to find an open room on a Saturday afternoon for that very Saturday night. I was informed we could check in one hour from the phone conversation and we were slotted for the cheapest room available - the leather and lace room. Upon arrival, 90 minutes after my initial phone call, I was told I was not in the system. That room was not available. I recognized the owner's voice as the person I had made the reservation with (she has a distinct accent), however, she denied answering the phone as she was not in the building...she proceeded to offer us a different room - the safari room - for the same price, but only if we utilized one of the beds...we could not sleep in both. The room was oddly decorated, animal skins, heads and an actual tikki hut placed over the bed. While the decorations were just odd - items like a light that wouldn't turn off and the lack of proper windows or fan for ventilation - were just irritating.
Bottom line, the Swan River Inn needs to spend less money on themed decorations and more on customer service and employee training.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MTLove

Travellers are raving about these Bigfork hotels

missoula, mt
Reviewed 31 July 2008

I liked this place much more than some recent reviewers. I can see how the staff is a little clueless, untrained, and lack direction. But they were very nice and tried to help. I did not ask that much of them, but had no problems with them.

The best part about this place are the unique rooms. Each room has a different decor theme and they are really fun and well appointed. We stayed in Geisha. It is red, black and very swanky! It was very well appointed, in room fridge and coffee, comfortable furnishings, BIG in room jacuzzi right out in the room, not in the bathroom, huge walk in shower, fun sulptural sink...generally very top notch and unique. Several of the rooms, inlcuding ours open onto a glass walled patio overlooking the Flathead Lake Bay (actually the confluence of Swan River and the Lake, not right on the Lake). No other guests were using this patio while we were there, so it was like a private terrace. No offense to the staff, but the managers whould not let the kitchen staff use this terrace as their break area. That was our only issue with the terrace or the place.

They have a nice looking restaurant, also with a patio overlooking the bay. We had a drink in the bar. The drinks were well mixed and generous. The bar was nicely furnished and comfortable.

The hotel is right in Bigfork, so you can walk around town and eat wherever you want. I preferred this to some of the other "bigfork" hotels that are really a ways down the lake.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place. The service is not impressive, but it is certainly adequate. And the rooms are really cool.

• Liked — very fun rooms!
  • Disliked — could be a little cheaper but we still thought it was worth the money
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
hossdog
Reviewed 17 May 2008

We called to book a room asking if moorage for our boat was available and asked about lake conditions and about boating. We were told the lake would be up and that even if it wasn't there would still be moorage. When we got there after driving 7 hours to get there we found the lake to be so low that the docks were on the ground. Now I know she can't control the weather but to advice us to come in knowing that the water was down anyway was enough, but to make it worse she then refused to give us the off season rate even though the water was down so low we couldn't even launch our boat. Then she suggested that the reason we asked for the off season rate was that "we couldn't afford" the more expensive room. To say we were absolutely appalled is an understatement. This woman Margrit was so terribly rude to my fiance it was all I could do to remain calm. We knew it was early in the season and that is why we confided in her to let us know conditions and she boldfaced lied to us about everything! Then told us that we were welcome to use her dock knowing it was sitting high and dry! We ended up driving to Kalispel to find other lodging and she says she is still going to charge our card for full on season rate!

I wouldn't recomend this place to my very worst enemy!!!!

• Liked — Terrible people
  • Disliked — Terrible people
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hossdog
North Dakota
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I haven't actually stayed at the Inn but did try multiple times to make a reservation there! We are coming to MT this summer for a wedding which is actually taking place at the Swan River Inn. Supposedly the whole place was "on hold" until all parties of the wedding were able to decide if they would stay there. I tried to reserve a room and was quoted prices not reduced as expected. I then tried back on another occasion and was told they were fully booked in the inn but could rent a "cabin" just a short ways away. Later after speaking with the bride to be, she informs me there is still one room left in the "inn" and I could reserve it if I wanted it. Needless to say by this time I already have made other reservations at an Inn which wanted me to stay there! If the actual service is as bad at the inn as the preview has been, I am glad they told me all the rooms were reserved!

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Annegirl3294
Cranbrook
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I have never written a review before, bad or good. However my experience with the hotel was so bad, I felt I had to share it. I booked on a Tuesday for the following Saturday by phone and felt lucky to find a cabin available that would comfortably sleep 3 on such short notice. On arrival to check in I was informed I was supposed to be there the night before. I distinctley remember the conversation because it had just occured several days before so I know the error was on their end. The owner of the hotel however would accept none the responisibility and instead offered another room at the same rate as the cabin. This room was DARK, still under some construction, no deadbolts but holes where they should be. The deck was full of tools. At our suggestion that the room should be discounted due to construction and their error, she told us she would have no problem renting it to someone else AND kept insisting that the error may have not been with them but us. Not a single apology, and the only offer of reparation was a $10.00 discount off a $250.00 room. Needless to say we decided NOT to support their business. As a business owner I was appalled at the lack of customer service and integrity.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank divadooger
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2006

When we called to make a reservation at the Swan River Inn, we were a little taken aback when Margritte recommended the Leather and Lace Room. She assured us that the room was very nice, so we agreed to reserve it. Our fears vanished when we saw the room - it was incredible! All I can say is Wow!

This room was enormous, it had to be at least 30 x 30 feet. The theme was Montana western. The room was furnished with beautiful antiques, local art work and a massive king size bed with a cow-hide headboard and feather duvet. There was also a leather sofa and an animal hide chair. The floors were hardwood, topped with several antique area rugs. Three steps lead down to the bathroom area. The shower was done in aged bricks and was just beautiful.

The room also had satellite tv, telephone, writing table, mini fridge, coffee maker with both regular and decaf coffee supplied, wine glasses, stonewear coffee mugs, and a hair dryer. The bed had a feather topper which made is super comfortable. We had a great sleep here. The manager (Margritte) thinks of everything to make your stay enjoyable.

I did notice 2 fans in the room, so I don't think it was air conditioned. This wasn't an issue in May but it's possible it might get a little warm in the summer, although being so close to the bay I would think that it would really cool off at night.

This inn only has about 6 rooms and each is decorated in a different theme. They are situated downtown on the bay. Our room rented out in the shoulder season for $95 and was a veritable bargain.

Thanks Margritte, for your friendly hospitality! We loved our room and we'll be back!

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Camping_Girl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bigfork
Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center
Flathead Lake Resort
Flathead Lake Resort
#6 of 9 in Bigfork
Outlook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Swan River Inn? Share your experiences!