“Summer Theater Out in the Middle of "Nowhere"”

Bigfork Summer Playhouse
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Bigfork
Richmond, Virginia
229 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Summer Theater Out in the Middle of "Nowhere"”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have good friends that retired to NW Montana (Polson) and soon began going to the Bigfork Playhouse the very next summer. Whenever we visit them in the summer, one of the activities on the "agenda" has always been to take in a performance there. Thus, we have seen four shows in the past nine years.

The most recent performance (The Full Monty) we attended was on a sold out Thursday evening. The cast was young (college students and/or relatively recent graduates), enthusiastic (energy to spare), and talented. It was well choreographed. The musicians (only five) put out some mighty fine music.

The theater is relatively small (400 seats) in just 13 rows. I'm positive that you can see fine from anywhere. We sat in the front row and could therefore hear perfectly well. I'll assume that the same can be said of the seats further back.

Our retired friends? They attend every show every season at least once. If someone visits during the season, they go again.

Out in the middle of nowhere? For most of us, yes. But, if you live in this beautiful area of Montana or vacation there (Glacier National Park is only 45 miles away), Bigfork is in you backyard and deserves a visit at least once each season.

1 Thank urbanguy

Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“This little town has a lot to offer”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

If you're not careful you could miss a big part of the Flathead Lake drive charm if you don't drive 'into' the town of Bigfork. A wonderful assortment of art galleries, restaurants, bars, shops AND the Bigfork Summer Playhouse. We make our way down to Whitefish annual for a week's vacation and I always go on line to see if there are any special events occurring. This year we decided to purchase tickets to the Playhouse in Bigfork to see West Side Story. Great experience. A very well run theatre company and facility. Every seat in the theatre itself offers an great view of the stage. The acting and singing were on par with anything you find in a larger centre as was the musical accompaniment. AND, if you can, reserve for dinner at ShowThyme next door. A wonderful dining experience.

1 Thank Danny C
Spokane, Washington
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Evening Entertainment”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The theater itself is great -- I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. The young actors were talented and obviously dedicated to their craft. Buy tickets ahead, though. We barely got in as there were only a few seats left for West Side Story.

1 Thank Beartrack
Southern California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Disappointed and offended”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is the third time I've seen a show here (previously say Seussical and 9 to 5). I had never heard of "Thoroughly Modern Millie", and maybe it's better that I hadn't. I didn't expect anything going in, but halfway through, I could no longer sit there with my husband and friends. I'm thankful that all 5 of them were just as offended as I was at intermission, which was when we left.
Oh, maybe I should mention. I'm Chinese. Watching two very white actors portraying two Chinese men was unbearable. I did not view any part of this show as funny. The racial stereo types were hurtful, insensitive, and flat out unacceptable. I uncomfortably looked around the theater as the lights came on during intermission. I wasn't surprised that I was the only Asian in the audience. That's not anything new for me when I come to visit my husband's side of the family in Montana.
Yes, I understand the context in which the play first came up. It was "acceptable" then, and it's depicting a time and place back in the 1920's. However it's 2014. If you cannot find a couple of Asian actors to portray the two Chinese characters, my suggestion is to PICK ANOTHER PLAY!
After getting stared down by a woman who looked at me like I had two heads (just outside the playhouse) to this was just too much.

2 Thank Cindy C
Seattle,
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fun local live theater”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

For a reasonable price we saw The Full Monty. Lots of laughs and very creative staging. Great facility in the middle of town. Easy walking from local restaurants. At the same time, my experience was impacted by the too warm/hot theater. I was so glad when inter mission came so I could go outside for fresh air. It was not unusually warm that evening either. Others were reacting the same. Problems with air conditioning that night?