“They Don't do stupid”

Cuisines: American
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“They Don't do stupid”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Me and my daughter ate at the Garden Bar and I must say it had to be one of the most entertaining meals I have ever had anywhere.

The Garden Bar is a Dive biker Bar. That is not an insult, as its real obvious what it is. They also don't suffer fools lightly. They are most interested in being bar and lunch is an after thought. to that end they have signs posted to direct you were you should be because they are busy restocking and preparing for that night. When you come in head to the window on the left and place your food order were the sign indicates. Then proceed to the bar and place your drink order, cash only please. Plenty of signs explain this.

Thing is, their are no waiters or waitresses, you have to figure this out on your own. Me and my daughter almost laughed ourselves sick watching the other tourists who did not want to think come in and leave empty handed. Their was a reason this place was mostly empty for lunch and thats because most people can't pass the service test. we watched a family of 5 walk past the bar at least five times. They sat at various tables and looked hopeful and then they finally left. unfed and probably thirsty. I would have helped them, but the stuck up look I got from the wife when they went by stayed my hand. Karma can be rather troublesome.

The bartenders must have stocked at least 20 cases of liquor while we ate lunch, making it obvious why they could care less about the lunch crowd. Hard stuff too, no mixers. their is a sign that explains that if you want a drink with an umbrella in it, leave. Also hippies should use the side door. Beer and Jack Daniels built this place and they stay true to that calling.

Your reward for being smart? A great burger with a heaping plate of fries for less than it would cost at Mcdonalds, Free drink refils, and some of the best entertainment ever.

So put your thinking cap on and head on in, well worth the effort.

Montana
“Always good and fun”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had a good time in Bigfork and spent an afternoon there eating lunch and visiting. Love that place!

Visited August 2013
Seattle
“Life in the Slow Lane”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

So after viewing my choices for restaurants, I opted for a burger at the Garden Bar. What a great burger and fries! The ladies in the kitchen do a great job! But what a customer unfriendly place! The owner seemingly was the bartender and asked to be paid immediately after I bought a beer. OK, I get that. Just like a college bar! The beer was fine, but when I asked for a menu, the bartender pointed at the kitchen where you order there and they deliver it to your table.

Sitting next to some locals, the bartender talked about life in Bigfork and received a tip from the locals! Should I tip someone who is surly? I think not.

Chicago, Illinois
“Make This Your First Stop in Big Fork”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

How is place is ranked so low boggles my mind. This is my FIRST stop when I get to Big Fork. The Garden Bar is FULL to the brim of character. I would warn you that you should not expect anything fancy. You have to walk to the bar to order your drinks--no tabs, cash only. You have to walk to the counter to order your food-same rules. If you can get over being waited on hand and foot and take care of yourself for a night then I promise you will love the garden bar. Drinks are cheap and the food is amazing. WING ZINGERS--Need I say more!
Do not go to the Garden Bar for a fancy meal or a romantic evening. Do go to the Garden Bar for a great night in a bar that is truly Montana.

“Juke box madness”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have been eating drinking dancing at the Garden Bar for 30 years, always predictable and fun. The new juke box costs $1.00 per song with other options to pull extra money from you as well. Very sad that the owners of the Garden have stooped to this desperate new low. I hope the Garden hasn't joined the race to the bottom with their other services as well. Funny how something this tiny can make you so angry.