“Don't stay here !!”

Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Billings
North Sioux City, South Dakota
“Don't stay here !!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

DON'T STAY HERE ,... IT IS A RIP OFF !! I paid for my hotel room on hotels.com.. I had to give my debit card when I checked it. They charged me again for my hotel room, was also charged for the water slide after I paid them in cash. Was given a run around for these charges on my card from a extremely rude front desk lady. I was informed the next morning that it would be refunded . Which 4 days later and still no refund. Will be calling my bank soon to file a claim against this hotel. Other then the rude staff, our room stunk like bad body order. Only had 3 towels for 4 people and had to wait 3 hours for more. I would highly recommend no one to stay at this hotel !! I do know that I never will be again

2 Thank Jackles30
Lori N, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Billings, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We do thank you for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor. We do strive for excellent customer service while staying at the Howard Johnson. We hope that you will return in the near future and see the changes we have made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

To be polite, there were human bodily fluids on both beds. Hotels.com booked us a smoking room and when we asked to change rooms she said it would be a $50 up charge. I contemplated sleeping the car but my friend felt that was unsafe but thats how bad it was. Worse night ever.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Alison O
Dear Guest,

We thank you for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor. We are truly sorry that your experience was not to your satisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these Billings hotels

London, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel is very outdated, over priced and lacking everything. The beds were hard, the shower head was too low, the towels where horrible and small, the bread at breakfast was old and everything at breakfast was lacking. I would never stay here again. This hotel is very over priced and outdated.

2 Thank chris v
Dear Guest,

We thank you for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor. We do strive for excellent customer service. We do apologize for any dissatisfaction you endured while staying at the Howard Johnson. We are making the appropriate changes to strive for better customer service comments.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent a Friday, 7-11 and Sat, 7-12 at this Howard Johnson. The room was clean, although older, yellow toilet, hotel needs updated for sure. Upon check in, we wanted to relax after our drive . Room was sweltering hot, AC unit took a very long time to cool off the room and our TV was not working. I called the front desk and was told they would send someone right up. 45 minutes later, I called again and was told they would send someone as soon as they could. We decided to leave as the room was still stifling hot and stopped at the desk to let them know we were leaving. We were told they would get it fixed while we were gone. Got back to the room around 9 pm and TV still not working. Called the front desk again and was told they had no maintenance person on site, hadn't had one all afternoon, and the desk clerks hadn't had a chance to come up and look at it. Changing rooms was offered, but our room was finally cool, and I wasn't about to move to a 90 degree room at 9:15 at night with a crabby baby. A clerk came up to check it out. The cable ends weren't crimped onto the cable, so they had the ends in the TV, and were just jamming the wires into the end, trying to get it to connect. I suggested stealing a cable from a vacant room, which was done, but the ends fell right off of that one too. Was told that we would be the first thing on the list to get fixed by maint. in the morning. Ran around Sat most of the day, came back to the room around 7, TV still not fixed, beds not made. They did replace towels and trash liners, but that was it. Worst service I've ever had at a hotel.

2 Thank Bonnie H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor. We value your input and hope that you will stay with us in the near future to see the changes we have made.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

When you find a hotel with amenities and a free breakfast that is $10 cheaper than Motel 6 and the cheapest in the Billings market with free internet and breakfast; you might want to give it a shot. The reviews on the dirt and mold are false. The fixtures are old, there is an older stench throughout the halls, however the rooms are clean and satisfactory.

The check-in was smooth, breakfast was dingy but adequate and given I was just spending the night while in transit, it sufficed as a bed to sleep. The woman who checked me in was very sweet including to tell me the internet gets a little slow in the evenings and if I had any issues just to call down.

Given they were the cheapest game in town with free breakfast, internet, and the fact I can collect Wyndham points, I gave it three stars, otherwise it would be 2 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your input and hope to see you back in the near future. We wish you safe and happy travels.
Medicine Hat
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Expedia at a great rate. The room was clean and beds were okay. Hotel was generally clean. Two of the three clerks we had contact with were great, but the other not so much. I had to call the front desk 3 times to have the long distance lock removed. She yelled at the people (including kids) using the water slide (there is an extra charge of $1.50/day) without wrist bands. The sign posted inside the pool said to get them from the attendant but there was no attendant. For the 90 minutes we used the pool we could see her on her cell phone. People were trying to ask questions and from the looks on her face she was less than thrilled to help. It actually became a joke in the pool area. Overall, clean hotel, easy to get to, great price. I just hope that ONE staff member does not spoil the visits for others.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Tripadvisor. We do try to please all our guest while staying at the Howard Johnson. We apologize that your stay was not to your expectations. We do hope that you will return in the near future and see the changes we have made.
Birkerod, Denmark
Reviewed 13 July 2014

In the low end of the price range for hotels in Billings, Howard Johnson is no more or no less than other low- to mid-range hotels.
But the service in this particular hotel is lousy. When I was going to bed I discovered that there was no sheet with the quilt. I rang the front-desk and explained the problem. I was told that someone would come to the room with a sheet.
After waiting for 25 minutes I walked to the lobby myself, and there was the receptionist sitting and chatting with 6-7 colleagues / friends.
I explained the problem again, and finally someone got up from the chair and together we walked to the laundy room and I got a sheet.
For breakfast there was 1 - yes, only 1 - toaster serving everyone. Ridiculous.
During breakfast they ran out of milk. Ridiculous.
I konw not to expect too much on these types of motels, but a bare minimum is not too much to ask.
Stay away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us a comment on Tripadvisor. We do believe in great customer service. We have made the appreciate changes to retrain our staff with great customer service. We hope that you will give us another try and see the changes we have made.