“Always Great Food But Now The Atmosphere Is Much Better”

The Windmill Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 354 Restaurants in Billings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After remodeling their bar area, The Windmill has greatly improved its atmosphere. It is larger, more friendly, and has lots of seating. Most weekend nights are very busy with all ages enjoying the food and drinks. The ribs and prawns are always a favorite. Don't forget to ask for a relish tray while you wait for your fresh bread, salad, and meal. It is a long established favorite restaurant that many generations have enjoyed. Its location has changed, but not the great food and service.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I came here again knowing the food is average,..at best but I like the bar area table with a view out to the pond. I ordered a Moscow Mule and they still insist on keeping your ID. Having been at the Rib and Chop House the night before and NOT having an ID confiscated, I knew the Manager on Duty was lying when he insisted "everyone does this". So mediocre food and ignorant management are plentiful here. Watching the bar and restaurant empty completely by 9:30 PM on a Saturday night tells me that I am not the only one with this opinion.
There are plenty of great dining options in Billings, the Windmill is not one of them.

1  Thank Beartooth62
Julie B, General Manager at The Windmill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Beartooth62:

We take these reviews very seriously and strive to give the best service, atmosphere and meal to everyone, every time and would like to discuss your visit personally. Please contact me (Julie, GM) at (406)252-8100 . Thank you and look forward to your phone call.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

It was recommended to my colleague and I that we try the Windmill for dinner. I should have checked the reviews before going. I was quite disappointed in the food, as was my colleague. Before getting to that, the service itself was great and the atmosphere is quite lovely. The location is in an odd part of town though. I had the baseball sirloin. The steak was cooked to my liking, but it didn't appear to have any seasoning. It came with some asparagus which was ok, but the baked potato was most disappointing. It was under-cooked and could have used some cheese or bacon to offset the texture. The salad was lifeless and they used iceberg lettuce instead of more gourmet leaves. My colleague has special dietary needs and the waitress, though nice, couldn't suggest anything to accommodate her needs. After ordering a whitefish (I believe it was halibut), without the sauce, it came overcooked and extremely dry. She wasn't thrilled and barely ate half of the fish. My colleague did enjoy the mash potatoes that accompanied the fish. I can't say that I would go back. It was truly an underwhelming experience.

1  Thank WorldD_TRaveler789
Julie B, General Manager at The Windmill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear "Underwhelmed"

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We strive to make everyone's dining experience the best at The WIndmill/BAR51. Please contact me at (406) 252-8100 to discuss your visit.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I thought I'd update an earlier review of the Windmill since the food has improved in recent visits.. In my original review, the food was very inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good. I'm happy to report that the past few times I've been there the food has been consistently good. The menu is more limited, but they kept the favorites, albeit the portions may be somewhat smaller but certainly enough more than enough. Once again, I highly recommend the barbequed shrimp and the broasted chicken, both are wonderful. As always, the atmosphere is pleasant and the service top notch. It's wonderful to have the Windmill back as one of the better restaurants in town!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

A large group of us from work used to come out once a week for our dinner meetings but this place got a bit skimpy. If you bring some of your own condiments and eat before you go to the Windmill you should be okay. The atmosphere is still the same except for the bar area being opened up to the dining area. As a large group we are disappointed at the changes as of recently and maybe check back later to see if things change. A year ago we would have given this place 5 stars.

1  Thank Jess B