“Another fantastic tour”

Go Native America Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Billings
More attraction details
Owner description: Why are Go Native America tours the best trips in Indian Country? We have been touring and exploring the Great Plains and the Southwest with our guests since 1995. We know our stuff, all our guides are all-indigenous and we help you experience things you couldn't do for yourself.Our Native American tours are highly personalized and there is an exciting atmosphere on each and every tour.We are the best because we get how it feels to come into Native American Indian Country for the first time and we're going to make sure your tour is unique and memorable - full of amazing experiences and all in line with tribal etiquette.You can join our native guides for day tours at sacred sites, cultural places and historical venues in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, or join 7-14 day escorted tours throughout the West, Alaska, Hawaii and we specialize in wolf and grizzly watching in the Greater Yellowstone region. We also run horseback rides on the Little Bighorn Battlefield and trips to Indian Reservations too.
Nephi, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Another fantastic tour”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well, I went back! So glad I took another tour with this company because I just participated in things I would never have been able to do. This time I went to Hopi land and it was like time travel. The Hopi have been on the Mesas for about 1400 years (I now know) and even though their reservation is surrounded by Navajo lands and all the big destinations for tourists like Grand Canyon and Monument Valley (which overshadow the Hopi people), their special ways and beliefs and their dedication to preservation and keeping some things private really touched me.
I LIKED that I couldn't take photos of some places, or that I might ask questions they wouldn't tell me the answer to. And I LOVED that my Go Native America guide was always ready with advice and 'etiquette' information. For example there was a dance in one of the villages and my instinct as an interested traveler would have been to worm through to the front for a better view, but once I was told that to do that is considered really rude and that the villagers are supposed to take presidence over visitors I was glad to stand back, crane my neck and enjoy these almost unworldly dancers and their music. It was a privilege to go. I wouldn't have gone by myself, but it was an open dance and it was something I'll never forget.
I went to all three Mesas, to Walpi, to Oraibi, Shungopovi and saw some really interesting petroglyphs too. I bought a kachina doll direct from an artist who explained every single symbol on the doll. It was just fantastic.
Tip: If you go and you get to the Cultural Center on 2nd Mesa, don't miss their blue corn fry bread burger. I don't doubt it is unhealthy and fattening, but oh my, so worth it.

6 Thank Antel777

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not a groupie, but it was fantastic anyway”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My group of people saw beautiful country, met beautiful Cheyenne tribes people and I got to experience things I dreamed of. When we went to the Little Bighorn and saw all the National Park signs, then heard the tribe’s perspective on the history it cemented my feelings about how history is written and public perceptions about Native Americans. All interesting, but one thing I really appreciated was cultural guidance, like where not to take photos, how to speak respectfully with others in the Indian way, even things like shaking hands are different in the Indian world, and lots of other ‘stuff’ you wouldn’t think of. I have shown the brochure to a couple of friends at work and they were very impressed with the trips that are available so maybe next year I’ll make my own group, but still definitely go with Go Native America.
Here is my own take on these trips. I’m not a ‘groupy’ kind of girl, and if I can travel to experience things by myself, that’s what I do. But if I wanted to really see how Native Americans live I didn't think thats something I could figure out myself. Sure I could have gone to a powwow alone, I could have visited sites alone, I could have talked to a few people in trading posts alone. But no, because that isn’t the essence of the culture I wanted to understand, or experience and to live, even just for that short ‘in the bubble’ moment. Fantastic.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank BoboNinja
Frankfurt, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not a cliché: тrιp oғ α lιғeтιмe”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Visit the beautiful country Native America, hear the true stories directly from the People, not from books and films.

= This trip actually gets 6 out of 5 stars from me. =

If you want to be inspired and learn things you never knew, choose to travel with these guys!
If you want clichès, you'd better stay back home and watch John Wayne...

I've been travelling with Go Native America since 2011, they have taken me to amazing places in Montana and Wyoming and opened my eyes to true wonders more than one time.

~~~

Here's some of what we've been up to this summer:

* learn about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, experience both sides, spend a day listening and understanding: it's not always just red and white
* ride the Little Bighorn, the Indians are the wranglers here - see what Crazy Horse and Custer saw

* have lunch at Little Bighorn Crow Trading Post, best Indian Tacos ever

* visit historic Sheridan - King's Saddlery is the place to buy your boots and Stetson

* on various reservations - eg. Northern Cheyenne, Wind River or Pine Ridge - meet the People and listen to their stories, not what others say and write about them
* experience all these different nations, you will feel welcome as guest, not a tourist
* also: there's nothing as funny as Lakota humor ...

* at a powwow, get to know about the significance of traditional dancing, and learn about powwow etiquette

* stay in William "Buffalo Bill" Cody's town or at his old hunting lodge Pahaska, spend a day at the Historical Center, find Cody's heritage and Sitting Bull's tomahawk in there

* visit sacred sites. Here, history, mythology, past and present are one.
Listen to the stories and the silence.

* There's more to Yellowstone than Old Faithful and bunches of campers - look for wolves and grizzlies, learnig about their meaning for different nations. You never know, there might be one on the next hillside ...

* ...

~~~

Feel free to contact Go Native America with any questions, they are always open to suggestions.

They even change the itinery if the groups suddenly decides that (instead of going to bed and catching some sleep after an adventurous day) they want to go and see the sun set over a powwow ground full of dancers ...

And about sunsets: I never thought I'd like Country music at all, but it was just made for the West - and when Jason Aldean is singing "Don't you want to stay here a little while?" as you're driving along a Wyoming highway into another beautiful sunset, you just have to go: "I do!"

I'll be back as soon as possible, after all, it's just half a world away from my home Germany, isn't it?

~~~

Thanks for reading, hope you find this review useful wherever you are.

5 Thank LWolf21
Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“WOULDN'T hesitate to book again”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The office staff was very nice with us and actually helped with lots of things surrounding the booking, not just their part of it. They asked where we were coming from to join the tour and helped us make all the arrangements smooth which I found extra helpful. The guides were excellent and also very kind, and even asked if we all wanted to add extra places (we did of course) and actually they added a lot of special sites to the original itinerary. It was all exceptional, and everything we got to see and do was A LOT for just five days.
All in all I'd say if you want a Native American trip this company obviously know what they are doing. The only downer we experienced (but I think this is a hazard of ALL group tours)was there were people on our tour who seemed routinely dissatisfied with everything even though EVERYTHING was done to give us a great experience. This could easily have spoiled our trip, but honestly DIDN'T because the tour leader recognized the problem and jumped in to make sure we just focused on the fascinating tribal people/stories. It was an extraordinary tour so I wouldn’t hesitate to book again.

6 Thank Rachele H
Utrecht, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Authentik and sad to leave”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I came from Holland to see Native Americans in there reservations. I like very much the tour and everything we see. But it was difficult to arrange this from my home country so I call Go Native America and they did all things for me. I want to see Litlle Big Horn and Sioux Indians and I want to go to the powwow and they made the tour and hotel, auto, schema. All the guides is in English so was a bit hard for me, but it still very good and Sarah also made translations on her phone. I go another time to a different tour of Indiaans next year because it was authentik and the mentors help me much. I have to leave tomorrow and it is sad to leave Sheridan and wide big Wyoming. But I will come back and look forward for it.

5 Thank MerelBrou