“Hard to explain but outstanding. GO!”

Go Native America Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Billings
More attraction details
Owner description: Why are Go Native America tours the best trips in Indian Country? We have been touring and exploring the Great Plains and the Southwest with our guests since 1995. We know our stuff, all our guides are all-indigenous and we help you experience things you couldn't do for yourself.Our Native American tours are highly personalized and there is an exciting atmosphere on each and every tour.We are the best because we get how it feels to come into Native American Indian Country for the first time and we're going to make sure your tour is unique and memorable - full of amazing experiences and all in line with tribal etiquette.You can join our native guides for day tours at sacred sites, cultural places and historical venues in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, or join 7-14 day escorted tours throughout the West, Alaska, Hawaii and we specialize in wolf and grizzly watching in the Greater Yellowstone region. We also run horseback rides on the Little Bighorn Battlefield and trips to Indian Reservations too.
Cheyenne, Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hard to explain but outstanding. GO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This trip was so good. I joined a group to visit many Native American sites and people and it was fun, but more it was an eye opener for me. The poverty I saw was heartbreaking, but the beauty of the culture was intense and I loved every moment. Our guide told history like he was there living what happened all those years back but then he related it to current events and people now, and that was probably the most interesting part. I left the reservation feeling like my world changed a little. Like I have a different place in it now that I understand more. It is so hard to relate what this trip was, but my best advice is just go yourself.

4 Thank SheLang

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I went to the Great Plains, specifically to base in Sheridan Wyoming because the Powder River Country was where I had read most about. I was rtaken to more special places than I knew were out there. But much nmore than that, it made all the difference to me to have a Native American guide tell me his family history and what his family thinks about these places or even how they affect his life now. You cant get that kind of feeling from reading abook (and I think I read more than most people probably do read), you need to go with someone who really lives the Native American ways.
From Sheridan I went to the Fetterman fight, the Rosebud battle site, the Little Bighorn (I rode on horseback there too) and I went to the Cheyenne reservation where all the people I met were so friendly and open to sharing their ways.
I wouldn't have gone solo on a trip like this. I'd have felt intrusive without a guide to make introductions, and maybe that is just me, but I see people saying go solo and I don't think that is feasible unless you just want to drive through and learn nothing.
Go Native America made this trip so very wonderful. I probably wouldn't go again in May because it was a little cold at times and the ground was pretty wet. Horse-riding was great but a little slippery. They did tell me June was better, but I couldn't go then. But they booked everything, arranged everything and were knowledgable and kind. I feel like I have made connections and I will try and go again when I can.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank SanGeorgi
Nephi, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Another fantastic tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well, I went back! So glad I took another tour with this company because I just participated in things I would never have been able to do. This time I went to Hopi land and it was like time travel. The Hopi have been on the Mesas for about 1400 years (I now know) and even though their reservation is surrounded by Navajo lands and all the big destinations for tourists like Grand Canyon and Monument Valley (which overshadow the Hopi people), their special ways and beliefs and their dedication to preservation and keeping some things private really touched me.
I LIKED that I couldn't take photos of some places, or that I might ask questions they wouldn't tell me the answer to. And I LOVED that my Go Native America guide was always ready with advice and 'etiquette' information. For example there was a dance in one of the villages and my instinct as an interested traveler would have been to worm through to the front for a better view, but once I was told that to do that is considered really rude and that the villagers are supposed to take presidence over visitors I was glad to stand back, crane my neck and enjoy these almost unworldly dancers and their music. It was a privilege to go. I wouldn't have gone by myself, but it was an open dance and it was something I'll never forget.
I went to all three Mesas, to Walpi, to Oraibi, Shungopovi and saw some really interesting petroglyphs too. I bought a kachina doll direct from an artist who explained every single symbol on the doll. It was just fantastic.
Tip: If you go and you get to the Cultural Center on 2nd Mesa, don't miss their blue corn fry bread burger. I don't doubt it is unhealthy and fattening, but oh my, so worth it.

5 Thank Antel777
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not a groupie, but it was fantastic anyway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My group of people saw beautiful country, met beautiful Cheyenne tribes people and I got to experience things I dreamed of. When we went to the Little Bighorn and saw all the National Park signs, then heard the tribe’s perspective on the history it cemented my feelings about how history is written and public perceptions about Native Americans. All interesting, but one thing I really appreciated was cultural guidance, like where not to take photos, how to speak respectfully with others in the Indian way, even things like shaking hands are different in the Indian world, and lots of other ‘stuff’ you wouldn’t think of. I have shown the brochure to a couple of friends at work and they were very impressed with the trips that are available so maybe next year I’ll make my own group, but still definitely go with Go Native America.
Here is my own take on these trips. I’m not a ‘groupy’ kind of girl, and if I can travel to experience things by myself, that’s what I do. But if I wanted to really see how Native Americans live I didn't think thats something I could figure out myself. Sure I could have gone to a powwow alone, I could have visited sites alone, I could have talked to a few people in trading posts alone. But no, because that isn’t the essence of the culture I wanted to understand, or experience and to live, even just for that short ‘in the bubble’ moment. Fantastic.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank BoboNinja
Frankfurt, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not a cliché: тrιp oғ α lιғeтιмe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Visit the beautiful country Native America, hear the true stories directly from the People, not from books and films.

= This trip actually gets 6 out of 5 stars from me. =

If you want to be inspired and learn things you never knew, choose to travel with these guys!
If you want clichès, you'd better stay back home and watch John Wayne...

I've been travelling with Go Native America since 2011, they have taken me to amazing places in Montana and Wyoming and opened my eyes to true wonders more than one time.

~~~

Here's some of what we've been up to this summer:

* learn about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, experience both sides, spend a day listening and understanding: it's not always just red and white
* ride the Little Bighorn, the Indians are the wranglers here - see what Crazy Horse and Custer saw

* have lunch at Little Bighorn Crow Trading Post, best Indian Tacos ever

* visit historic Sheridan - King's Saddlery is the place to buy your boots and Stetson

* on various reservations - eg. Northern Cheyenne, Wind River or Pine Ridge - meet the People and listen to their stories, not what others say and write about them
* experience all these different nations, you will feel welcome as guest, not a tourist
* also: there's nothing as funny as Lakota humor ...

* at a powwow, get to know about the significance of traditional dancing, and learn about powwow etiquette

* stay in William "Buffalo Bill" Cody's town or at his old hunting lodge Pahaska, spend a day at the Historical Center, find Cody's heritage and Sitting Bull's tomahawk in there

* visit sacred sites. Here, history, mythology, past and present are one.
Listen to the stories and the silence.

* There's more to Yellowstone than Old Faithful and bunches of campers - look for wolves and grizzlies, learnig about their meaning for different nations. You never know, there might be one on the next hillside ...

* ...

~~~

Feel free to contact Go Native America with any questions, they are always open to suggestions.

They even change the itinery if the groups suddenly decides that (instead of going to bed and catching some sleep after an adventurous day) they want to go and see the sun set over a powwow ground full of dancers ...

And about sunsets: I never thought I'd like Country music at all, but it was just made for the West - and when Jason Aldean is singing "Don't you want to stay here a little while?" as you're driving along a Wyoming highway into another beautiful sunset, you just have to go: "I do!"

I'll be back as soon as possible, after all, it's just half a world away from my home Germany, isn't it?

~~~

Thanks for reading, hope you find this review useful wherever you are.

4 Thank LWolf21