“Best ever Tour Company, one word to describe our tour "Outstanding"”

Go Native America Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Billings
More attraction details
Owner description: Why are Go Native America tours the best trips in Indian Country? We have been touring and exploring the Great Plains and the Southwest with our guests since 1995. We know our stuff, all our guides are all-indigenous and we help you experience things you couldn't do for yourself.Our Native American tours are highly personalized and there is an exciting atmosphere on each and every tour.We are the best because we get how it feels to come into Native American Indian Country for the first time and we're going to make sure your tour is unique and memorable - full of amazing experiences and all in line with tribal etiquette.You can join our native guides for day tours at sacred sites, cultural places and historical venues in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, or join 7-14 day escorted tours throughout the West, Alaska, Hawaii and we specialize in wolf and grizzly watching in the Greater Yellowstone region. We also run horseback rides on the Little Bighorn Battlefield and trips to Indian Reservations too.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best ever Tour Company, one word to describe our tour "Outstanding"”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We would first like to thank our tour organiser Sarah for putting together a fantastic tour for us, we visited the US from Australia in July 2013. We first contacted this tour company because my husbands interest in finding out more about the battle called "Custer Last Stand", and the battles that led to this victory for the Native American Indians. Sarah organised a fantastic 4 day itinerary for us in chronological order which made understanding the history of this battle extremely interesting for us especially to me who new very little about Native American history. We are still talking about how well this trip was organised, we were amazed on how much time you spent ensuring that we had the very best holiday that we ever had. Sarah you are the very best, and we cannot thank you enough for this wonderful experience that your company gave us. We now want to come back and experience other tours with Go Native America. The other person who made this tour exceptional was Raine our tour guide, who's knowledge was amazing, we were both enthralled with his narrative of all the events that took place, we think of him has an educator rather than a tour guide, his telling of history from the Cheyanne perspective, was informative and interesting, we have never met such a tour guide, who could relate so much history, and make it so intriguing, we could not believe how he made events come alive, we enjoyed every minute. John learnt so much,and he is still talking about the trip, and would love to do it all over again,. We would highly recommend this tour company, however once you experience a Go Native America tour, you will never be satisfied with another tour company.You cannot compare this company with any other, they are unique.
Janet & John Rundle
New South Wales Australia

3 Thank Janet R

Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This was the way to go”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was definitely the way to go. I actually wanted to experience what it is really like on a reservation because I have this crazy (maybe?) idea of volunteering somewhere for a year, but need to know what to expect before I do. Obviously it mattered to me to work with an ethical tour company. I needed people that had true relationships with Native tribes and who could offer me the chance to meet Native people and trade fair with tribes themselves.
We went to Pine Ridge rez with guides who shared knowledge with the group and helped me to understand why things stand as they do. We met some great people along the way. Our trip went off the map - places I sure didn't know were important to the Lakota culture and we also visited home galleries, schools, trading posts and a powwow too which was a huge bonus because I didn’t know we were going before we arrived.
I had a single room in great hotels (no extra dollars either) and my trip was a huge success. I still plan to volunteer, but I think I may try a couple of Go Native trips in different places now I have a better idea of what I'll be facing and how I can help better when I do.

2 Thank Randy1Shoo
Cheyenne, Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hard to explain but outstanding. GO!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This trip was so good. I joined a group to visit many Native American sites and people and it was fun, but more it was an eye opener for me. The poverty I saw was heartbreaking, but the beauty of the culture was intense and I loved every moment. Our guide told history like he was there living what happened all those years back but then he related it to current events and people now, and that was probably the most interesting part. I left the reservation feeling like my world changed a little. Like I have a different place in it now that I understand more. It is so hard to relate what this trip was, but my best advice is just go yourself.

4 Thank SheLang
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I went to the Great Plains, specifically to base in Sheridan Wyoming because the Powder River Country was where I had read most about. I was rtaken to more special places than I knew were out there. But much nmore than that, it made all the difference to me to have a Native American guide tell me his family history and what his family thinks about these places or even how they affect his life now. You cant get that kind of feeling from reading abook (and I think I read more than most people probably do read), you need to go with someone who really lives the Native American ways.
From Sheridan I went to the Fetterman fight, the Rosebud battle site, the Little Bighorn (I rode on horseback there too) and I went to the Cheyenne reservation where all the people I met were so friendly and open to sharing their ways.
I wouldn't have gone solo on a trip like this. I'd have felt intrusive without a guide to make introductions, and maybe that is just me, but I see people saying go solo and I don't think that is feasible unless you just want to drive through and learn nothing.
Go Native America made this trip so very wonderful. I probably wouldn't go again in May because it was a little cold at times and the ground was pretty wet. Horse-riding was great but a little slippery. They did tell me June was better, but I couldn't go then. But they booked everything, arranged everything and were knowledgable and kind. I feel like I have made connections and I will try and go again when I can.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank SanGeorgi
Nephi, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Another fantastic tour”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well, I went back! So glad I took another tour with this company because I just participated in things I would never have been able to do. This time I went to Hopi land and it was like time travel. The Hopi have been on the Mesas for about 1400 years (I now know) and even though their reservation is surrounded by Navajo lands and all the big destinations for tourists like Grand Canyon and Monument Valley (which overshadow the Hopi people), their special ways and beliefs and their dedication to preservation and keeping some things private really touched me.
I LIKED that I couldn't take photos of some places, or that I might ask questions they wouldn't tell me the answer to. And I LOVED that my Go Native America guide was always ready with advice and 'etiquette' information. For example there was a dance in one of the villages and my instinct as an interested traveler would have been to worm through to the front for a better view, but once I was told that to do that is considered really rude and that the villagers are supposed to take presidence over visitors I was glad to stand back, crane my neck and enjoy these almost unworldly dancers and their music. It was a privilege to go. I wouldn't have gone by myself, but it was an open dance and it was something I'll never forget.
I went to all three Mesas, to Walpi, to Oraibi, Shungopovi and saw some really interesting petroglyphs too. I bought a kachina doll direct from an artist who explained every single symbol on the doll. It was just fantastic.
Tip: If you go and you get to the Cultural Center on 2nd Mesa, don't miss their blue corn fry bread burger. I don't doubt it is unhealthy and fattening, but oh my, so worth it.

5 Thank Antel777