“Best Gyro in Billings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Description: business phone 406-248-5681 owner NICK RENTZIOS
Billings, Montana
“Best Gyro in Billings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Athenian is a unique little Greek restaurant in downtown Billings. Every time I go, I say to myself "try something new"; but when you offer the best Gyro in town, it is extremely hard to stray from the norm!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rmclb20

“Still best gyros but a little cheap on the serving size.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I still think this place has the best gyros. This restaurant has been in Billings many years. I remember when they were in Rimrock mall.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank TamGeo
Billings, MT
“Love the food, it's worth the poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Ok, so I have decided that, when eating at this restaurant, one must pretend they are actually in Europe, because that is the speed of service and attentiveness you are going to get. Allow at least 1-1 1/2 hours for a meal. If you don't, you're just going to get angry and it will spoil the mood. It is not ENTIRELY the wait staff's fault. There is often only one person serving the entire restaurant. Poor planning is part of it. Although one should know how to pronounce the name of wines that they are selling.
That being said - I love the food here. The poor service cannot keep me away. The calamari is excellent - light breading and great sauce. The dolmades are ok, if slightly bland. I've had better and worse. I am a HUGE fan of the gyros. I usually order mine with tzatziki and feta. I also like to just go in and order a bottle of red wine, along with sides of olives, gyro meat, feta and do the tapas thing. It's easy to lose track of time sitting by the big window, people-watching and enjoying someone's company while munching on the delicious finger food. The light seasoning on the feta is wonderful!
My biggest complaint is the wine menu. It is small, as in less that 7 options, but that is not the complaint. There have been wines listed (the Demesticas, and others) on the menu for a long time that I haven't been able to order in years because they actually don't stock them anymore. I never start out by ordering wine, I start by asking which ones they actually have. The Cote du Rhone they carry is very tasty, though, and is my current go-to wine.
In summary, don't go here if you are in a hurry. Or call and order it as take-out about 1/2 hour in advance. If you like the European speed and style of dining, you will probably enjoy this.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissKitty26
Billings, Montana
“Yum...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This place is always spot on, authentic and flavorful. When I have a craving for a Gyro, they always satisfy that craving!!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Iris V
Laurel, Montana
“Best Gyros”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We have been eating here for years! It is the only Greek restaurant in this area but they do make the best gyros ever. We won't even try any other items on the menu because the gyros are the best!

Visited January 2013