“Extremely poor customer service”

Bitter Creek Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bitter Creek Outfitters is a family-operated business providing scenic, guided horseback trail rides 5 miles from downtown Billings, Montana. We'll treat you to a leisurely trek through our Angus cattle ranch - atop the area's distinctive rimrocks. We'll show you spectacular views of five different mountain ranges and a unique perspective of the city. We keep our group sizes small (max 6 people) promising a personalized, unforgettable experience for beginners & advanced riders alike! AGE, HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS APPLY. PLEASE SEE WEBSITE FOR DETAILS. We are a full-time ranch, part-time trail riding outfit so advanced reservations are required. We do not keep our horses saddled in the corral & ready to go! Season runs late April thru October, weather permitting. Rides typically start at 8 or 9am, 7 days/week, and we avoid afternoon rides during peak summer heat but we can be flexible with your travel plans. Let us know what works best & we'll do our best to fit you in!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I called on 4 different occasions over a month and left messages about booking a horseback riding party and no one ever returned my call. They last time I called, I requested a simple response of yes or no, so that I wasn't wasting my or their time. I also emailed twice and did not receive any response. Horrible customer service that makes me wonder what kind of business owners they could possibly be.

6  Thank Seriously56
Theresa K, Owner at Bitter Creek Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

We sincerely apologize for not getting back to you. I'm not sure what happened but obviously we dropped the ball. As was noted in our description, we were closed for the season, but now that we are open (and the weather much more pleasant) you are more than welcome to come out to see what we are all about!

Theresa

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Who doesn't want to go horseback riding when they are in Montana?! We found Bitter Creek Outfitters and couldn't be happier. We were able to spend an hour on the trail learning about the ranch and the local area with a great tour guide, Theresa. This was a definite highlight of the trip to Billings and I highly recommend this to anyone who is visiting town and for those who live there. The horses were all well behaved and made us feel comfortable and Theresa was engaging, interesting, friendly, and answered all of our questions. What a great experience!

3  Thank 162traveler
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Ever since I was small I have wanted to ride a horse in Injun' Country, and at last I've done it! Theresa was a lovely, lovely host, friendly, helpful and engaging. The views on the trail were outstanding and we rode at my pace of a beginner! The horse (Smokey) was docile and responsive and added to the wonderful experience. After the ride I left my camera at the ranch, and Theresa arranged for her Dad to bring it to my hotel in downtown Billings... how's that for service? . I really cannot speak highly enough of Bitter Creek Outfitters :)

3  Thank teebee1984
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Beautiful place and classic west. does anyone know how to get permission to visit the top of Indain Pictograph Caves? Photography is our goal

Theresa K, Owner at Bitter Creek Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Yes, it is beautiful! Come out for a trail ride & we'll take you right to the top! 406-855-6075

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Highlight of the trip for our daughter! I booked a two hour ride for my mom, myself and my daughter (aged 13) and we had an incredible experience.

Overall. Great! Highly recommend for tourists AND locals. Theresa, the guide and proprietor, was an experienced rider and was very good at helping my daughter (an entirely new rider) feel comfortable. I’m sure there are a few trail options, but the two hour tour that we took went right along rims looking over Pictograph Caves. At one point, we got off to look over the rims, rest, take photos, etc. We got to feed the horses little pellet treats after the ride. The little cabin outside the corral was quaint and felt authentically western. The whole thing was very memorable.

Price. I thought it was a fair deal for what we received – a great morning and lots of priceless memories.

Safety. I thought precautions were prudent and adequate. Kids under a certain age must were a helmet and adults could wear them or waive the option. (I wore a helmet.) There were a few disclosures to review and sign before we got on the horses. Theresa gave us a short lesson in how to direct the horses while we were inside of the corral before we got on the horses.

Administration. Quick and easy. Theresa was responsive with my questions prior to booking and quickly sent an electronic PayPal invoice once I was ready to book. She was on time to meet us on the day of the appointment.

Recommendations to future guests. 1) Unless you are an active horse rider, I wouldn’t recommend more than two hours of riding. It’s physically uncomfortable at about the two hour mark because your body isn’t accustomed to being in that position – regardless of how physically fit you are. 2) Riding early in the morning was beautiful – that’s when we went. On that route I can imagine it would get incredibly hot by mid-day however. 3) Wear bug spray & sun screen.

10  Thank DCPressurecooker