“A decent night's sleep before Yellowstone”

Boothill Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Billings
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“A decent night's sleep before Yellowstone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Not a fancy place but it was a nice choice after a long drive across Wyoming. The room was large with good beds. The shower was hot. Free wifi and bottled water were nice touches in the room. The free breakfast featured waffles and biscuits and gravy. Cookies and trail mix are available from 7-9 p.m. I wish they had another elevator.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the third or fourth floor which are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Boothill Inn and Suites as we were passing through Billings. Since we arrived around 9pm, we opted to walk to the closest restaurant, which happens to be an Applebees (which for me was a downside). Overall though, the hotel staff were wonderful and attentive. The provided breakfast was expansive, and the rooms were clean.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was rated #1 on Tripadvisor but the aroma therapy in the elevator and the hallways almost made me turn around and leave. Perhaps they had just installed them since the next day, the scent was tolerable. This hotel seems isolated at a busy intersection with traffic sounds coming through. It was interesting to follow the recommendations of staff to see the cemetery which was a short walk away.

The rooms are clean, the staff attentive and the breakfast so so. But this is not a luxury hotel. It is a way station on the way to other places.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked here for one night purely on TA reviews and the no. 1 rating. On arrival the GPS managed to direct us right past the hotel and there were a few tense minutes spent going in circles trying to find a way into the car park. My initial impression of the area were not good (commercial/industrial) but not too important for a one night stay. The hotel itself I felt was a bit jaded and dated and had a bit of a musty smell everywhere. I have to say I was disappointed.... Billings itself did not grab me either and seemed to be soulless with a lot of homeless people in the "historic area". The hotel did have a good breakfast though with waffles, doughnuts fruit etc and with staff regularly refilling everything. All in all a so-so stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shelliattheboot, General Manager at Boothill Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello - and thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on Billings and on the Boothill Inn. Of course, we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you were disappointed in Billings as well.

I have made note of your concerns in regard to the hotel and am addressing them with the staff. One immediate action we have taken is to verify that every heating and air conditioning unit is completely free of dust. We have found that especially during the summertime when the units have to work so hard, they need additional cleaning. Our maintenance person literally took every unit apart over the last week or so, vacuumed, wiped down and freshened up each unit. We do believe that has resolved the issue that a couple of our guests had with a musty smell.

We depend on guests such as you to keep us on our toes and to ensure everything is perfect for our guests. Thank you, again, for your comments. Shelli
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have been using tripadvisor on a cross country trip from MI to MT and have found it useful. This is my 1st review. I was prompted to write because it is such a nice place. Traveling with husband and 3 kids. Room was clean and comfy. Breakfast was great. Lots of outlets to recharge all the tech we travel with (most so far). Little touches of home throughout. We got in late and there was ice water flavored with strawberries and cookies. 2 bottles of water complimentary in the room. Bookshelf with children's books in the lobby. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melissa1855
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Check in went smoothly. At no cost, we were upgraded to a suite. The free breakfast was very good. Unlike some other places where we stayed on a July road trip, there were enough tables to seat people eating the free breakfast. There was a large variety of hot and cold foods to choose from.

1 Thank wanograham
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

When we first checked in here, I seriously considered moving to another hotel the next day. The surrounding area looked commercial/industrial, there are signs everywhere warning you to take everything out of your car because of frequent break-ins in their parking lot. Perhaps this is a service to customers, but the signs (one of which says how angry it makes them that "punks" roam the parking lot at night) do not bring comfort to a female guest who has to return after dark. The person who checked me in was NOT friendly and explained none of the amenities that were explained to my colleague who checked in with another staffer. Last but not least, the rooms (even the elevators) smelled. That impression was confirmed by my colleague. As I said, it was a bad first impression. After that night though, we encountered only helpful staff. For example, they offered to loan us pool towels for a trip to the nearby Elmo Lake. I had a view of Billings' famed Rimrocks from my room. Breakfast and rides downtown are free. It is close to the airport. They put a cute chocolate cowboy boot on your pillow when they make the bed. All in all though, I will stay at a chain hotel downtown the next time I am in Billings. (It is actually suspicious to me that this place is rated #1 anywhere.)

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor, and view of the rimrocks.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Shelliattheboot, General Manager at Boothill Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hello and first of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review. With input such as yours, we can only get better. I do want to respond to your concerns. First of all, in regard to the notes on the door ... I take full responsibility for using the word "punks". I wrote that when I was angry and frustrated and it was unprofessional. I have changed the wording. However, I have left the notes posted. Hotels across the city, as well as restaurants and retail outlets are experiencing this same problem. While we do not want to cause great concern to our guests (such as we did for you), we do want to warn them that they should not leave valuables in their vehicle. It is a difficult call to make, and we choose to err on the side of protecting our guests' belongings.

Secondly, I regret that you were not treated well upon check in. I am glad that your experience improved through the next couple of days. It is tough to always be "on", but your comments are a good reminder to all of us that every single one of our guests deserve our full attention.

And finally, I do believe I would be remiss not to respond to your comment about our "suspicious" placement as #1 in Billings. As a small independent hotel we work so hard to maintain that position on Trip Advisor. We take very seriously Trip Advisor's policies. We would never post our own reviews or encourage friends and family to post reviews. We could not only lose our #1 placement, but we could lose our listing all together if we were to break the rules.

Again, the good and the bad. We are pleased things got better. We are so sorry for the rough start. We would certainly appreciate a second chance should your travels ever bring you back through Billings.

Shelli