“We chose the Country Inn because of the positive reviews, and now we understand why they were so good.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 6 July 2010

From my first phone call to final checkout, every staff member was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and up to date, and the continental breakfast was far better than what I find in most motels in this class. Not only will I stay there next trip to Billings, but I'll look for Country Inns in other cities I visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2010

I recently had the unique opportunity to stay at both the number 2 (Country Inn & Suites) and number 5 (Boothill Inn & Suites) rated hotels in Billings. I was meeting folks there prior to heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton so I decided to try one night at each as they are across the street from each other. This contrasting review will be posted under both hotels.

I stayed in room 407 in Boothill Inn & Suites the first night and in room 321 in Country Inn & Suites the second. Both rooms were similar in that they were clean, well appointed king bed rooms. The Boothill room at $93 included a small fridge and microwave and the Country room at $115 did not. Country’s room, however, was noticeably larger and included a small table with two chairs in addition to the standard hotel desk and chair that both rooms had. Country’s room also included a very nice upholstered wing-back chair that I enjoyed while reading. Boothill’s room included a sofa but it wasn’t as supportive to my back as Country’s chair. Both hotels had newer style supportive mattresses, which were comfortable for me and appeared little used. I slept well in both hotels.

Both hotels are located at the busy intersection of Main Street and Airport Road, which has lots of long-haul truck traffic and related street noise. If there is a quiet side to Boothill during the day I did not find it, although both hotels were quite at night when the truckers themselves were sleeping. At Country I was first given a room along the Main Street side and it was very noisy from street traffic during the day. I quickly asked for and was given a room on the backside of the hotel, which is very quiet at all hours.

Both hotels serve a decent but typical precooked hot breakfast and I can’t say I preferred one over the other. I did, however, prefer the breakfast room coffee at Boothill as it was more robust. Country, if my memory is correct, served Maxwell House in the breakfast room. As to the breakfast rooms themselves I would give a slight nod to Country as the room seemed somehow a bit brighter and cheerier. Both hotels had coffee makers and coffee supplies in the sleeping rooms but I tried neither.

Both hotels have a lobby computer with wired internet service for guests. The wired internet at Boothill was agonizingly slow while the wired internet at Country was blazingly fast. I don’t know about either’s wireless internet service as I don’t travel with a computer, which is why I really appreciated the fast wired internet at Country Inn.
From a service standpoint, everything worked as expected at Boothill and I made no demands on them. As I already said, Country moved me to a quiet room with no hassles but I checked in early while plenty of rooms were still available.
After I was in the new room at Country I needed to use the phone and found it didn’t work. I assumed it hadn’t been turned on when they switched my room. After requesting it be turned on it still didn’t work and the phone hardware needed to be replaced. After the new phone was plugged in the message light started blinking immediately. When I retrieved the messages I found they weren’t for me but rather for the previous guest. I tried to delete them but found no instructions how to do so on or near the phone and had to call reception to find out. I later found the instructions on how to delete messages buried within the large notebook guide to the hotel. I found the whole process frustrating and they really need to put this information on or near the phone.

Boothill does provide airport shuttles and will also shuttle you all around town. This is a really great service if you don’t have your own transportation, which I didn’t. Country does not provide airport shuttles. Both hotels have swimming and exercise facilities but I used neither. There is a large Target store and some local restaurants within easy walking distance of both. Both hotels are 100% nonsmoking. As a nonsmoker, I really appreciated this commitment by both hotels.

Conclusions: Both hotels offer similar amenities and services. Boothill had the price advantage of $18 difference for the same room type during my stay and provided a local shuttle service. But Country had the larger guest room and really fast wired internet service. Without my own transportation, the nod clearly goes to Boothill. But with my own transportation, I would give the nod to Country, even at the higher price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
CISBillingsMT, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2010

Austinwhitewater ~ thank you for taking the time to write a side by side review. And for of course pointing out the Country Inn and Suites strong points... faster internet, larger and quieter rooms.... which we love to hear!! It can be hard to select a hotel given most have many of the same ammenties. I will just say 96% off all our guests who wrote reviews would recommend this hotel and thank you for adding to that!!

Reviewed 17 June 2010

ountry Inn & Suites
231 W Main St
Billings, MT 59105
My Mom managed a Ramada Inn in Nashville, TN many, many, years ago so I know... not to many people take the time to send good comments where they need to go!! I want to be sure people are told about the GOOD STUFF. Anybody can complain... so I say take time to say something positive!!!!!!!!!
We stayed 2 nights there (5/25/10 and 5/26/10) and were so delighted with "EVERYTHING"... the rooms very nice and clean, Hotel over all very nice and well kept up!! A special note about the staff.... the Lady in charge of the breakfast bar and many other things as well, sat and talked with us a minute or two, spoke very highly about her management team and co-workers, also about the corporation, nice to know people are willing to work together, made us feel very welcome and the front Desk Girls the very best!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really bad with names but, talked to the Manager (on days or for all shifts... not sure) very lovely person, found out her name is Michelle L. Breitwiser. I couldn't understand why this Hotel had such a low star rating. She explained why ... It was because they have no restaurant "on site" (even though there were 2 across the street), that brings the ratings down. VERY STUPID RULE!!! This puts this Hotel ranked with very low standard Hotels... what's wrong with this picture????? The hotel should be rated on it's own merits, staff, rooms and overall hotel experience!! They served us very well!!!
If all Country Inn And Suites are the same as THIS ONE, I would use "only them", just because of this stay. Everyone went above and beyound the call of duty, with every question asked of them... and the cookies... Mummmm!! Went to a La Quinta in Casper.... Ugh... had an empty cookie plate and the excuse was "eveyone burns the cookies, so no one tries any more"!!! Sad, very sad.... LOL!!!!
You all rock!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for everything.... Mr. & Mrs Boehm

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Windwalker8 ~ Thank you for all your great comments! We really love guests like you!! People always comment about how friendly the staff is but they don't realize its them... its so much easier when we have willing guests. People who are also friendly, take the time to visit and make the staff feel like the are people too! Hope you come back soon!!

Reviewed 11 June 2010

I researched 20 some odd different hotels in the Billings area and the Country Inn and Suites had the best price for everything that I wanted. I was delighted to find all the little extras when i checked in - snacks, relaxing body wash, etc. I loved that I had so many towels in my room I wouldn't have to bug front desk to as for more. They kept the pool open later for just adults and the breakfast room had more than just waffles and donuts. The check in and out process is speedy and the staff was super friendly. I want to go back all the time!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Jenny_Kim216 ~ Hello! I love it when someone comments about the free snacks and all the extra ammenties!! Thank You! Since you said body wash that leads me to believe you had a whirlpool suite....VERY NICE ...I'm so glad after shopping around you found our prices to beat out over 20 hotels. Thanks for pointing that out, as most people don't realize suites are just a small increase over standard rooms! Hope to see you back soon!!

Reviewed 10 June 2010

My partner and I actually stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Billings, MT twice within the span of a week, on our way to and back from visiting his folks, who live in Idaho. We live in Fargo, ND, I am an employee of the Radisson Hotel in Fargo and this Country Inn is the only Carlson brand hotel along the way. I may have shopped around a bit more for other hotels in Billings or even Bozeman, which is closer to halfway between our destinations, but I know that I am going to get good service from a Carlson brand hotel.

Pros:
*Easily located from Interstate 90. We forgot to look up a map to the place before we left, but it wasn't an issue. There are signs for this place everywhere! They are also located near lots of restaurants and right next to the Metra. We did not visit the Metra, but I would imagine it's extremely convenient for guests staying in Billings and attending events at the Metra to book a room at the Country Inn.
*Very clean and modern-looking, despite the charming country-style furnishings.
*Very quiet. It's located right on one of the busiest streets in Billings, and you wouldn't know it.
*Free High-speed internet.
*The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Cons:
*There are only a few fridges available for the entire hotel. There was one in our room on our first trip through (which we used), so we thought they were standard; unfortunately, our second trip through was also on Memorial Day weekend, and all of the fridges were loaned out before we got there. I will remember to request one in the future!
*There are only feather pillows available. My partner and I are both side-sleepers, and feather pillows are not firm enough to sleep well on without a lot of rigmarole to get them situated properly.
*The complimentary internet was also extremely slow the second night we stayed, but that's to be expected when everyone is using it!
*The rates are a bit on the high side; the Radisson I work at has slightly lower rates overall, but it also has more competition.

All in all, we were very satisfied, and whenever we pass through Billings, we will stay at this Country Inn. It was worth every penny paid.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
CISBillingsMT, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

Amilmadien ~ I loved reading your review that says "worth every penny" ....it was music to my ears! I enjoyed your Pro's of course as well.... Thank You!! I want you to know I really do care about my guests concerns so just a note on the Con's .... We do have foam pillows for those guests with allergies, not sure why we didn't get this information to you during your stay. We have several refrigerators on site but sounds like I need some more since you didn't get one on your return visit. We are planning an upgrade to have them in all the rooms! Our internet is the most current and fastest available in this area, not sure what the problem was causing it to be slow for you during your stay, my sincere apologies. Just know we do monitor it so we can provide guests with the best connection every time. Of course rates vary by season but we are very competitive to our competition and always match price to value. Remember to always check on-line to see about special advanced booking offerings. Thanks for your review! Hope you see you soon on your next trip!

Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed here on May 31, 2010 and got a great rate of $82 plus tax. We have three kids and the room was large enough for us all and they provided a rollaway bed at no charge. It was clean and we felt the beds were a step above what the rate would indicate. Nice breakfast with biscuts/gravey, yogurt, make your own waffles, eggs, etc. We ate at McKensie River Pizza Company, a short distance away and that was a really good meal (pulled pork nachos)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
CISBillingsMT, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2010

Dohafamily ~ Thank you for your review. I'm delighted to hear to you took advantage of one of our great deals like Advance Purchase, Multi-night or one of our various seasonal specials. Our breakfast is extensive and is a great added value for a large family. Also, thanks for pointing out the large size of our rooms...they are some of the largest in Billings.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

The beds were comfortable, the amenities were as stated. Breakfast was better than normal, hot waffles, biscuits & gravy, fruit, juice, good coffee, etc. Room was nicely laid out. Heating/cooling could have been better placed, when we ran the air/heat it blew directly on our face in bed. Handicapped parking is very limited. Nice pool and hot tub, towels provided in pool area. The chlorine was a little strong two nights. The family we were visiting were allowed to use the pool with us. Hotel was quiet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

wlncl ~ Our beds are Serta Elite pillow top sleepers glad you found them so comfortable. We will be expanding our breakfast in the up coming months...so the best breakfast will get even better. I appreciate you bringing the chlorine and handicapped parking situations to my attention. We use this knowledge to fine tune our operations so next time we can exceed your expectations.