“I loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Northern Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Northern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Powell, Wyoming
“I loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

First of all, I think I got the best night of sleep in my entire life here. The beds were so comfy... I think I want one of my own. The rooms are fairly average priced for Billings. A few weekends before, I had stayed at the comfort in which was horrible and noisy and that room was more expensive than the Northern.
At the Northern, the beds are wonderful and the the bathrooms are very up to date. We did not have a tub in our room, which is fine with me since the showers were very nice. There were even robes to wear while staying at the hotel. There are no coffee pots in to rooms, but I generally don't make coffee in the morning unless I need the caffiene jolt (which I didn't because I was well rested) . There is a Starbucks around the corner if you need it.
Parking you are NOT required to use the valet. You can park on the street or in one of the garages in downtown Billings. Which the staff will gladly tell you. Downtown Billing does have some bums but your vehicles are generally safe, just be sure to lock your doors and keep valubles out of site (as with any city).
The location of the hotel is also wonderful. Downtown Billings has a lot to offer including great dining and shopping availibilities. I love staying in the downtown hotels for this reason.
The service at the Northern was amazing, they were so helpful with every aspect of our stay. We even were delivered a Billings newspaper the following morning. I loved every bit of the Northern. They even try to bring in some of its history with the ranchers with the artwork in the rooms. The lobby is also stunning with the sitting areas and fireplace.

1 Thank breeannw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Such a great, comfortable, lovely place to stay! The room is clean and tastefully decorated. I requested a shuttle pick up for my brother's later arrival at the airport. There was no one from Northern there when he arrived. I asked the front desk about it and they sent someone immediately. Upon my brother's arrival at the hotel, we were met with someone apologizing for the inconvenience and offered breakfast for two. I totally appreciated that they addressed their mistake head on and made amends. I do understand mistakes are made and would've asked no more, but appreciate their straightforward approach to solving a problem with a guest. I'm so happy to have this as my temporary residence in Billings!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lambokitty
Billings, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

This Hotel is absolutely Horrible, we stayed at the Northern during the PBR rodeo and the experience was unpleasant. When you arrive you have to use there Valet service which can be a problem if you forgot something in your vehicle, which actually happened to us.. We always carry a spare key so after we checked in I asked the valet driver who was very nice by the way on where they parked my vehicle they told me it was a few blocks away on a " secure " lot..when I arrived I noticed there was no security in the guard house and there were bums walking around looking into the windows of parked cars...Great, any I came back and noticed are room was small..yes it looked nice but the furniture had a bad smell and there were bugs flying around everywhere.

We had dinner the the service was poor, I don't blame out waiter I just think the kitchen is slow because by the time we received our food is was between Lukewarm and cold and our food smelled like cigarets.. Turns out the ally next to the Northern is the smoking section for there employees and right next to the dumpster...classy

It's not a 4 star hotel, it should be a one star..I've been all over the world and this is by far the worst I've ever seen...i recommend you try the Crown Plaza or the Best Western.

Also they do not reward you with points if your a business traveler.

Hope you enjoy Billings.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Chris N
Red Lodge, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

The room was small, bathroom even worse. NO COFFEE POT IN THE ROOM! The dining room has the "red headed stepchild" that doesn't belong...just look up and notice the lodge poles in the lighting, which of course goes so well with red velvet.
Crunchy risotto, and portions should be more balanced with different menu items. Some are too large and some too small. The dining mgr was very wonderful, but our server asked if we wanted water, pepsi, ice tea? Where am I, a diner? I ordered a glass of wine, and she talked my partner into a beer...A $16.00 BEER THAT WAS HUGE! Should of probably warned him of this. Over all, we are going to stick with what we know...and now we know NOT to go back.

4 Thank meldee66
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Beautifully renovated downtown hotel gives Billings another choice. I don't remember the old Northern but really do like the new Northern. Great furnishings, beds, fitness center and rock solid wireless Internet. The breakfast diner is fun and the on site Resturant and bar was a pleasant surprise. I am sure most folks will love this new choice in downtown Billings.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Joel T
Red Lodge, Montana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

My childhood memories are filled with special family celebrations at the Northern Hotel, unfortunately it is true that you can't go back. The new remodel is very clean and modern, but has failed to incorporate any of the " rancher's coming to town for a good time" feeling that the Northern had. So, if you are going to promote the Northern as a modern hotel, how about a few of the modern ammenities we have all come to expect in a grant hotel. We booked a regular room with a king-size bed. What was missing .. well if you have kids please note that there is no bath tub, only showers, there are no refrigerators or microwaves .. but the most puzzling thing that was missing was the lack of in-room coffee.... not available in the lobby for guests either .. only available from Bernie's Diner (closed when we were looking for coffee) or the bar (also closed when we were looking for coffee. We were told by staff that we could order coffee from room service ($7 or $14) or go down the street (1 block) to the Starbucks at the Crown Plaza for a cup of coffee. Really? We went into the bar for a drink and finally left 50 minutes later without ever getting our drinks ..large wedding party surrounded the bar and the bartenders were budy taking care of them. I had to call housekeeping to have a clean blanket (lovely one that is placed at the bottom of the duvet) brought up as the one that was on our bed was covered with makeup and something else .. don't even want to think about what that might have been. Upon checking out my husband asked for a comment card, as we really do want to see this hotel survive and prosper, and he was told they do not have comment cards, and was handed a torn piece of paper on which he listed his concerns about our stay. Needless to say he has not heard from anyone at the hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Debra H
Bozeman, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Luxury finally comes to Billings. My wife grew up in Billings and insisted that we stay in the newly renovated Northern. Her family has many memories of the hotel from her childhood. First, I need to clarify; this is not an old hotel with new carpet. They tore everything back to the concrete. It is a beautiful new hotel in an historic shell. It was clear when we entered the lobby that we weren’t in a typical western motel. There are some lovely Montana accents, wheat shafts on the door and railroad ties around the fireplace, but they are so tasteful and contemporary you might miss them.

What you won’t miss is a delightful boutique hotel with an excellent staff. The lobby and workout room are second to none. The only thing missing is a pool (and the loud kids in bathing suits running through the halls). We were almost overwhelmed with their helpfulness. Everyone was friendly and seemed to know there area of expertise.

Our room was very nice, although average sized. We had an amazing bed with luxurious soft sheets. The staff said you can actually order the bed in the gift shop! That was a pretty tempting offer. The room was tastefully decorated with a beautiful mural of horses and nice color choices. The modest contemporary bathroom was well done and completely new. The shower was glass encased. We had 2 flatscreen TVs, so we could watch Fox news and CNN at the same time (our room was a suite with two rooms). There was a large wardrobe and a dresser in the room, so we had plenty of space for a few days.

We’ve stayed in many Billings hotels over the years, since our wedding reception at the Crown. It is a delight to finally have 5-star quality in Billings. If you are looking for the premiere place to stay in Billings, this is definitely it.

Room Tip: The suites are double sized and have two TVs. All rooms have views, but the North side is prettiest.