“Las Vegas Style Hotel!”

Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Las Vegas Style Hotel!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the newly renovated and modernized "Northern Hotel”. It was magnificent. I usually visit Billings two times or so per year and usually stay at the Crowne Plaza. I am usually there on business and then my wife joins me since this is her beautiful home town and we see our relatives. Below is my observations:

Overall: I think they did a wonderful job of remodeling the hotel. It is now a very nice, elegant, modern hotel which is on par with many decors found in Las Vegas. I will be staying here moving forward. I would most definitely recommend it.

Lobby: The lobby is nicely sized and very clean. Updated and modern. Great décor. Plenty of seating areas.

Rooms: My wife and I stayed in a king bedroom suite (with a small separate seating area) - Room 606. It was nicely sized, and since we were there for a week it was fine. I was hoping for a suite the size of the Crowne Plaza but they do not have one. We prefer two separate closets and bathrooms. But this room served nicely. The bathroom was small but nicely accommodated. My wife and I are very picky with high standards (as we usually stay at Ritz, Four Seasons, W Hotel, Etc,) and our only complaint was that she found the bed too soft and I found it just perfect. We did however agree that the showers water pressure needed to be increased.

Restaurants: We ate a both TEN and Bernie’s Diner. Both were very good with friendly staff. The bar staff at TEN was great and personable.

Valet: Friendly staff, but since there is construction they needed to park the cars some distance away. Budget about 10-15 minutes to get your car in case you are in a hurry.

Employees/Customer Service: Overall the staff was friendly and kind. I would like to point out Sherri Houston, the Sales Manager who assisted me with my trip and went out of her way. I gave the Northern Hotel a try because of her efforts! She is excellent and went the extra mile! Kudos to Sherri as she helped exemplify what the Northern is striving for. My future visits are secured at the Northern due to her efforts.

Room Tip: The suites with sitting rooms are worth the investment. The extra space really helps.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Manager at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We are so happy to hear your feedback RRLV68! We will be sure to let Sherri know how helpful she was to you. We look forward to your next visit! Find us on Facebook to keep up with all the events and activities here at the hotel, plus you can share your favorite hotel photos with us there!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2013

First off, this property is very nicely decorated. The whole place had a very modern/chic feel to it. The beds were VERY comfy and the rooms were super quiet. The check in/check out procedure was seemless and the front desk girls were very friendly.

Those are where the positives end.

The rooms are TINY. There are no coffee pots, bathtubs, microwaves or mini fridges in any of the rooms. We were told we could order a pot of coffee from room service for $7. They had no coffee bar in the lobby or on any of the floors. This seemed chintzy to me being as the property dubs itself a four star. I've never stayed in a THREE STAR that didn't have coffee pots at a minimum, in the rooms.

We also overheard a manager chastizing one of their staff members in front of customers in the lobby. I thought that was rather tacky as it was not done in a professional manner at all.

All in all, I'd say this is a 3 star hotel that is very nice to look at and sleep in but lacking the basic ammenities.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank onewickedb
Thank you for your feedback onewickedb. We’re sorry to hear you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms are a bit cozier than most modern hotels because we chose to preserve the historic layout of the hotel during our renovations. We do offer a complimentary morning coffee bar for our guests in the lobby, so we invite you to try our signature Bernie’s blend during your next stay. We take pride in our staff and encourage you to share specific problems you encountered directly with us so we may address those issues. Please call us at 406-867-6767 and ask to speak with the hotel manager. She will be informed of the situation and expecting your call. We hope to see you back so you can fully enjoy all the Northern has to offer!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My son and I were flying ourselves back to Calgary from a spring break trip to Phoenix. Typical spring storms left us stranded in billings. At the suggestion of the local airport fbo we booked Into the northern for what ended up being a 3 night stay waiting for the weather to clear. Most comfortable beds ever and most helpful staff making a bad weather stop over very comfortable. Highly recommend the Northern.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the new Northern. The decor is great; very modern and "W Hotel" esque while also bringing in that Montana warmth and charm.

The bathroom was tiny, but nice soft towels, great robe, nice amenities, and the blow-dryer is always appreciated! It is hard for two people to share that size of bathroom. Our biggest disappointment by far was the water pressure in the shower; there was NO water pressure. For a woman with long hair trying to get it clean and rinsed properly; forget it! I felt like I could never get my hair clean the entire length of my stay! And we were there during what seemed to be a very slow weekend for the hotel; I shutter to think what the water pressure is like when the hotel is near capacity.

We were disappointed that no bottled water or mini-bar was provided in the room.

The bed was supposed to be a "King", but was much smaller length and width-wise than our King bed at home. And the bed could have been a lot firmer; it was far too soft for our taste.

The hotel lobby was nice but there was nothing going on. It would be nice to add a coffee cart where you can buy gourmet coffee, pastries, and cookies throughout the day, since the coffee at Bernie's leaves a lot to be desired. Also, this would make the lobby seem like more of a meeting place.

The staff was lukewarm at best, except for the great young man from Laurel, Montana working valet; he was always friendly and had kind words to share!

We had one breakfast at Bernie's. The sourdough pancakes were delicious but the coffee left a lot to be desired!

Above everything else, please fix the water pressure in the shower. We tried the Northern this time after always staying at the Crowne Plaza, and we want to come back again, but that was a huge detractor from this beautiful, modern new boutique hotel in the heart of Downtown Billings!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LasVegasLaura69
Corvallis, OR
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I often find ourselves spending the night in Billings when we're traveling between Oregon and Ontario, so we were thrilled to discover the Northern Hotel. It's beautiful and has the most comfortable beds ever. The location and service were great and they have a shuttle between the hotel and airport. Can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Montana
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We have been anxiously awaiting the reopening of the Northern. We've stayed there a few times in the past and liked it, but it was time for a remodel. It is very nice now. The room wasn't huge, but everything in it was first class. Beds are great, the bathroom is so modern and nice. The parking right now is kinda funky as valet is the only option. When I drove up, there were so many cars in the valet drop off area, I couldn't even park. So, after a couple of loops around the block, I finally parked in nearby bank parking and walked over and told the valet where my car was. Not a big deal, but here in Billings, we are used to just driving right up to a building and parking. That said, they are building a new parking garage, so that will be very nice when it is done. Many of the rooms of the Northern don't have much of a view, especially after the parking garage is done. But, if you go there not expecting a view, you won't be disappointed. The rooms are divine and well worth staying in. They do have various specials so check those out when making reservations. We had breakfast in Bernie's cafe the next morning and even though it was a bit crowded and busy, the food was good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've been to my fair share of historic hotels around the country. I'm a history major and, as a consequence, I love staying at historic landmarks. Usually, this results in hotel experiences that are rich with historical significance but sorely lacking in modern amenities. This is really upsetting for me. I'm the guy who loves the outdoors, but doesn't love sleeping in a tent on the cold, hard ground.

I'm thrilled to say that the Northern Hotel is the first hotel I've been to that didn't force me to choose between historic charm and modern comfort. As several other reviewers have already noted, the building has been completely renovated (all the way back to the concrete) and trust me when I say...the interior is gorgeous. The rooms are a little small, but beautifully furnished. I bumped into the hotel manager during my stay and learned that they refer to the beds in the room as the "Goldilocks Sleep System"; not too firm or too soft. I can confirm, after a great night's sleep, that the beds are just right.

I ended my Northern Hotel experience with breakfast at Bernie's Diner. It was like stepping into the 1950s (in the best possible way)! I had the Captain Crunch-coated french toast and it was just as weirdly delicious as it sounds.

Beautiful hotel. Great service and food. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends