“Great Hotel in Billings”
Review of Northern Hotel

Northern Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Northern for four days with a friend
This hotel was in a convenient location with a free shuttle pickup service from the airport. The room was clean and modern, with lots of light and towels. Hotel staff were exceptional...including bringing a fridge for our room and having maintenance fix my broken glasses! I highly recommend the Northern.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Nkechi N,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your visit out to Billings, Montana. You had many choices however, you chose us. Thanks for sharing your stay with us and as well the social media platform. We are in the business of ensuring you enjoy every realm of your stay and after reading your feedback, I feel comfortable that we exceeded each of your expectations. When you visit Billings in the near future, please reach out to me (Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would like to do something special for you as a way of saying thank you for your customer loyalty. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us as well. We look forward to seeing you again at The Northern Hotel.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was the first time I have stayed at this hotel. I travel to Montana twice a year for work and I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff is very attentive and welcoming. The lobby and bar area are very modern. My room was a little small but I liked the feel and it was very up to date, so I didn't mind it. Great central location in Billings. Check this place out. You'll like it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Michael S,

Thank you for staying with us here at The Northern Hotel in Billings, Montana. I would also like to say thanks for sharing your recent experience during your stay with us. The best compliment is to tell someone as you have. I see you visit the area twice a year. Upon your next visit, please contact me directly, the Director of Sales & Marketing and I will ensure you get upgraded to enjoy a little more space during your stay. The owners Mike & Chris Nelson preserved the original layouts and size of each room to keep in line with the history of the building. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Billings, Montana. Until then, happy and safe travels.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in the Northern Hotel before its restoration in 2006. WOW what a difference now. Very much improved and a lovely hotel. We enjoyed our stay very much. We had a corner room with a nice view of Billings. The room is small but that is to be expected when staying in a historical hotel but still roomy enough for the two of us. Nice staff. Good location. We were able to walk to nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Kathy D,

The best compliment is to tell someone else. Thanks for taking time to share your experience with everyone. You are correct the interior of the hotel was stripped back to the concrete and completely remodeled from its previous state. The Northern now includes 160 guest rooms and suites filled with first-class amenities, a gym, gift shop, two restaurants-TEN and Bernie’s Diner-and more than 12,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, ranging from small business suites that you can rent for a day to a large ballroom that can be divided into two smaller rooms if desired. Kathy, please contact me directly (Director of Sales & Marketing) upon your next visit to Billings and I will ensure we exceed your expectations. Enjoy your day!!!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Kind of fell into this location by accident. When we went online we were told the place we wanted was full but they recommended the Northern to us. Although we had to drive an extra couple of miles into town (instead of right by the hiway), we loved the people and the accommodations. To top it off they told us about a $50 reduction we could get! Its a 4.5 start quality at a 3.0 star rate. If you need a room here you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Lifeisgood31,

I think I might have gotten a chance to meet you and your family during your visit out to Billings, MT. We conversed at the front door the morning you were about to leave about Colorado as I just moved to Billings, Montana myself. I wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience with all the travelers that use tripadvisor to decide where they will enjoy their next travel destination. The best compliment is to tell someone else and on behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, I would like to say thank you for doing so. I'm the Director of Sales & Marketing and if you find yourself back this way, contact me directly as I would enjoy exceeding your expectations once again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel opened again after a long restoration, having closed in 2006. It was, and is again, a hometown presence that strives to be a local spot for guests to stay within the growing and thriving Billings downtown. It is a boutique hotel, which best serves adult guests with a quiet, thoughtul presence. If is a renovated WW2-era building, so no pool or breakfast room. Its setting allows for many dining choices within less than 3 blocks, in addition to a cafe (Bernie's) and high-end restaurant/ bar (TEN). Early morning choices are somewhat limited, however.
it is a downtown location. It is an "L-shaped" building , and you should inquire about a room that faces the quieter sections (facing Broadway or N. 27th Street). The beds are comfy. The rooms are somewhat compact (in other words, small, like something origninally built in the 1940s as it was). I didn't note a lot of noise from other guests.
At present, valet parking is the default, with all cars being parked several blocks away. There is currently a parking garage rehab program that, when completed, will allow for self-parking, and more eating choices nearby. The garage will be located directly south/southeast of the hotel. Some of criticisms made by other guests will be rectified by the downtown projects being completed. You should plan ahead for airport shuttle and having your auto brought up by the valet service. You can park for free (parking meters are not monitored) on 1st Ave N on weekends. It will be full at night, with all the clubs and restaurants, however.
Wifi is free and speedy throughout the building. The business center doesn't have its own PCs,so you need a laptop, tab or phab to do business. I think you can get printed pages and faxes by request. No coffeemakers, fridges or microwaves, the rooms are compact. Nice closet space and drawers.

If you stay here, expect good personal service, the best location in the area for business and foodie foraging, along with prompt attention to whatever personal needs in the hotel are requested. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Broadway or across the hall, facing N 27th Street, which may be quieter...Don...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Algologist,

I read your comment in regard to your stay with us here at The Northern Hotel. You hit the nail on the head with the review of how the hotel was preserved from it's original details of when it first opened. There are many restaurant choices in the downtown area and I have to say our Bernie's Diner for family style eating and TEN our Fine Dining Restaurant have turned a corner and are doing fantastic. We are scheduled to have to garage completed within the next 2-weeks and when it's complete, you can drive in and not have to ever walk outside in the elements directly into our hotel to check-in. Please let me know directly (Director of Sales & Marketing) when you will return to Billings, MT. and I will be sure to exceed your next visit expectations. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us. Enjoy your day Algologist!!!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely boutique hotel in Billings. I stayed here in business and was delighted with the service, design and the delicious bistro in the hotel. I would definitely recommend and look forward to staying again. Rooms are spacious, well appointed and stylish.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Horse Diva,

On behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, I would like to say thank you for staying with us during your trip out to Billings, MT. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us. If your future plans bring you back to Billings, please reach out to me directly (Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would love to exceed your expectations even more upon your next stay with us.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Northern Hotel on the beginning and end of our trip out north. The first day we arrived at 9 AM and our rooms were not ready. Official check-in was at 3 so we agreed to wait. However, other people in our group who arrived later got rooms ahead of us, so that was highly disconcerting. On top of that, our rooms were still not ready at 3 and we didn't get our rooms until 7 PM. The hotel lobby was very nice, but not exactly where you wanted to spend your morning hoping for a room. Once we finally did get our rooms we were very happy with them. The beds were comfortable, the thermostat was easy to control, and the bathrooms were roomy. On our way back, our group called ahead to make sure that the hotel would know that we were coming. This time, we did have rooms ready, but they told us they weren't expecting us for another 2 hours(!) even though we had called ahead and arrived at exactly the time we told them we would. It was a frustrating experience and even though we liked the rooms, we are seriously reconsidering staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ana P
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Ana P,

Thanks for sharing your review with us her at The Northern Hotel. I have shared your experience with the Department Head that oversees the Front Desk and she has expressed to me her sincere apologies. I am the Director of Sales & Marketing and I take your comments very seriously and look for every opportunity to exceed my guest expectations. Please reach out to me directly when you plan to visit Billings, MT. again and I will ensure your room is ready in order to get you and your guest on the right path of an enjoyable stay. I look forward to your return visit to The Northern Hotel.