“Great boutique hotel West Billings”
Review of Northern Hotel

Northern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Billings
St. George, Utah
“Great boutique hotel West Billings”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staff very friendly and efficient for the most part. Did wait about ten minutes to check in, only one person at the desk and on the phone discussing billing on the phone (assume with a guest) while two of us were waiting. Other than this wait the entire experience was lovely. Bed very comfortable, bathroom neat, tidy and clean. Had a Huckleberry Drop Martini and Flat Iron Steak in the bar. Nicely appointed bar/dining space with decent options. My steak was cooked perfect and tasty, the Martini was so delicious I had a second!

Room Tip: I was fortunate to get a room on the top (10th) floor, not sure how the other floors stack up.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Cmoran33,

My apology for you having to wait at check-in. We have hired additional staff and are fully staffed to welcome each guest without having to wait at check-in now. We are just as excited to have you as our guest as you are to get to your room to enjoy your stay at The Northern Hotel in Billings, Montana. I see you got a chance to enjoy TEN our restaurant as well. Our new Executive Chef, Tim Freeman has rolled out a new menu that excites the taste buds in both the drink and food categories. If you find your way back to Billings, Montana, stop in and try it out. Thanks again for your business. Safe Travels!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Rapid City
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I spent the weekend at the Northern Hotel. The hotel is in a great location downtown. The room was perfect and very quiet. The hotel itself seemed new with a great lobby area. This would have been a 5/5 hotel without a doubt except for the service. Most of the people working the front desk were not friendly. There was no robe in our room. Our towels were not replaced nor was the soap or shampoo on our second day. When we called to get this corrected we were not treated as would be expected in such a fine hotel and were made to feel we were bothering them. Luckily all this can be fixed with more emphasis placed on customer service. If the service can be brought to the level of the property, this truly will be the best hotel in Billings.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 67584
67584,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit with us at The Northern Hotel. I shared your review with the team at our meeting yesterday. What we put in place during the meeting is a mandatory weekly training for all agents. We will be participating in roll-playing and exceeding guest expectation activities. It's our responsibility to you while hosting you as our guest to exceed your expectations and reading your review, we did not achieve that objective. An apology is in line from the team and on behalf of the entire staff, I apologize to you. If by chance you find your way back to Billings, Montana, I would like for you to be my VIP. Please reach out to me directly (Director of Sales & Marketing). Safe travels!!!
Enumclaw, Washington
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed one night, arriving after midnight, but what a joy it was to stay at the Northern! The rooms are small but functional, clean, and beautifully adorned. There was noise out on the street when I arrived, but the windows totally blocked it out, and I was on the facing side to the Crystal Casino across the street. The bed was perfect - firm with plenty of pillows. I normally stay in the Hilton Garden Inn, but the Northern is very comparable in rates and quality. In fact the stay was so nice and comfy that I will return to the Northern instead of the HGI. One block from Starbucks, and another block to Stella's which is my favorite breakfast place in Billings. I read the two terrible reviews for this place, but did not experience anything like that. In short, I've been gob struck by their quality and excellence. Keep it up!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
William T,

I am glad to hear you got a chance to experience this newly renovated gem of a hotel. Chris and Mike Nelson are the owners and they mixed the old with the new to give travelers a one of a kind hotel located in downtown Billings, Montana. Everything that you can enjoy while visiting downtown as you mentioned are a block away. Places like Starbucks, Stella's, Bernie's Diner, TEN and downtown summer street concerts are within a block of the hotel. When you book your next stay, ask for me directly, (Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would like to have you as my VIP to exceed your expectations even more. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us. We look forward to seeing you again very soon here at The Northern Hotel.
Springville, Utah
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel. The staff is friendly, the room was clean. The have a resturant hooked with the hotel it was nice and good breakfast. We had a horrible experience at 2 other hotels before coming to this hotel and the were able to find us a room even at 10 am.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Outdoors1988,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here at The Northern Hotel. I shared your review with the team to let them know they did an awesome job in ensuring your stay with us was enjoyable. Comments like yours allow us to measure how we are doing. I see you got a chance to enjoy a nice hot breakfast in Bernie's as well. I'm excited to share with you that we will be rolling out a new menu this month in Bernie's and would like to invite you back to try it out on your next visit to Billings, Montana. On behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, we look forward to seeing you soon. Until then, safe travels!!!
Colorado springs
Reviewed 13 July 2014

On our way to canada with kids. Never been in Billings. Did a search and stayed here. I always try to stay downtown and this place is simply remarkable. Free and accommodating valet? Yep. Like a big city hotel in every way. Sorry Billings I know not a thing about you. But I was impressed with everything. Will bring my beautiful spouse here. Thanks for a brilliant stay!

• Stayed July 2014
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Ruckerco,

Thanks for taking time to share your experience with us here at The Northern Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself during your visit to Billings, MT. Billings is the largest city within a 500 mile radius and when guest visit and spend a night downtown to enjoy the shops and history that's embedded, they get to truly see what the locals love so much about the city itself. When you do come back to The Northern Hotel, please contact me (Louis-Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would love to exceed you and your fiancé's expectations. Also when visiting again, please ask the front desk for a list of things to see and do while here. You will be amazed at the history that's in Billings, Montana. Until then, safe travels!!!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My sister and I were in town the last weekend in June for a family event. We were intrigued by the renovation of the Northern and we both remember it from childhood. However, I, too, think it's over-priced and over-rated.
Positives:
Valet staff was very friendly and helpful.
Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.
Negatives:
Their website says "covered valet or self parking". When we asked where the self parking was, we were told we could park across the street in the bank parking lot but would have to be out by 9am the following morning when they opened. We valet parked one night and waited about 20 minutes for the car.
Our first room had not been cleaned properly. This is the biggest issue we have with the hotel. We had a room with two queen beds. When my sister pulled back the covers, it was obvious the bed sheets had not been changed. They were very prompt when moving us to a new room which was larger. We had room service the next morning and then left for the day. Upon our return, the room had not been serviced. Our breakfast dishes were still on the table and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned. It's likely the change in rooms wasn't communicated so we called and they cleaned it right away. The next morning, we noticed dirt between the drapes and the wall (the drapes are floor to ceiling), dirty bathroom floors, and items on the floor under the table.
Along with other complaints I saw regarding no in-room coffee service, why only one robe? Usually there are two people staying in a room. Why not a robe for each? That certainly seems standard in other hotels we've stayed.
In summary, the Northern really needs to get their housekeeping in order. It's extremely uncomfortable staying in a place you feel has not been cleaned properly. Very definitely not 4 star service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peggy720
Peggy720,

Thank you for your review and allowing us the opportunity to address the issues you mentioned during your stay with us here at The Northern Hotel. I met with the Department Heads and spoke of each mishap that did not allow you to enjoy our stay fully. I wish I could have a do over with you to show you how we have improved and addressed those issues. If by chance you find your way back to Billings, Montana, please reach out to me directly (Louis - Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would like for you to be my VIP. Once again I am truly sorry we did not exceed your expectations during your visit.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel had a wide range of issues, from the online booking process to the on-site restaurant, to the room itself. For a newly renovated hotel, there were many things lacking. I booked online under the "spring special" which was supposed to include a free half bottle of wine and a room upgrade and a 25% discount off the room. I never got the wine and had to complain to two different managers to get the room upgrade and 25% off that I should have received without the additional trouble.

The restaurant was a total let down. The chicken on my chicken Caesar salad was barely cooked and hardly seasoned; the dressing was almost non-existent and did not even taste like Caesar dressing. The croutons and parmesan were on the bottom of the plate, so the croutons came soggy.

In the room, the sink basin was raised atop the bathroom counter, which was cumbersome and very limiting to the functionality of the counter. The bathroom fan didn't work (in the original room I was given OR the upgraded room I switched to), so I had to wait an additional 45 minutes for the bathroom mirror to clear up. The "new" TV cable system was extremely difficult to figure out and there was no TV guide or instructions to follow. The view from my room was horrible, as it faced the construction area near the hotel. On a Tuesday night, one would think that side of the hotel would be the last rooms assigned. The most disappointing, was picking up the phone to call the valet, only to find that there was no cord connecting the handset to the base of the phone. I would never recommend this hotel, even to someone I don't like.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jennifer C
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Jennifer C,

I read your review and couldn't help but think to myself I wish we had a chance to do this over for Jennifer. On behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, I wanted to say I am so sorry for everything that transpired to you during your stay. Everything you mentioned in your review has been shared with each Department Heads here at the hotel and corrective actions have been put in place so this does not happen again. If by chance you ever find your way back to Billing, Montana please contact me directly (Louis Riley - Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would like to have you as my VIP. Once again I am truly sorry for your experience.