“Lovely Hotel in Downtown”
Review of Northern Hotel

Northern Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is the nicest hotel in Billings I've been to. They've done a wonderful job restoring it. Beautiful lobby. Fast elevators. Two restaurants. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Their best asset though is their location - as you can easily walk to just about everything in downtown Billings. Close to lots of good restaurants too.

The rooms are very small, but they are bright, clean, modern and nicely decorated. They are definitely geared toward the single business traveler (as there was only one robe, one night table) in our King room. My husband had to put his water bottle on the floor. It would be nice if they added an additional night table. There are tons of TV stations, and the free internet worked just fine. The bed was very comfortable. The room was quiet.

The bathroom is also small. There's not much room to put your toiletries. There is no bath, only a shower, and there was not much water pressure in the shower (low-flow shower heads probably).

No self-parking, however free valet parking was included (except for the expected gratuity). I suspect the garage next door will be available for parking soon.

All in all we enjoyed our stay here and would consider returning if the price was right. If you really want to be downtown and you can get a decent rate, stay here, otherwise there are more affordable hotels in Billings.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

MTRose,

Thanks for staying with us during your visit to Billings, MT. I take our guest reviews very seriously as this gives the team an opportunity to make changes in real time. Feedback is essential in moving a business forward to grow. Things we can change, I can assure you we will however things we can’t, we will try to find a comfortable resolution so the guest is 100% satisfied. I know you mentioned the rooms were a bit small. The reasoning behind this is when the hotel was renovated and completed in March 2013, the old and new was a huge consideration of bringing the Northern Hotel back to her heydays. We wanted to take our guest back in time to when the Northern first came about. Throughout the hotel with the furnishings and décor, you can feel as if you’re a part of the 1900’s. When you visit us again and hopefully it’s very soon, mention it when booking your reservation and we will ensure there are 2 robes in the rooms before check-in. Our attached garage is schedule to open this week and with this, you will not have to go out into the elements to enter the hotel. I invite you to give our restaurants a try upon your next visit. We have a new menu in Bernie’s Diner, a Family Style approach and TEN, our Fine Dining that includes a pianist that plays during the extended weekend. As you mentioned, you can’t be any more downtown than we are. Walk right out the front door and enjoy all the downtown has to offer. When you plan to stay with us again in the near future, please contact me directly (Louis-Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would love to have you as my VIP. Safe Travels!!!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I only stayed one night, and I would recommend staying to others. Very friendly staff, but when I asked if they had spare toothbrush/toothpaste, they were out (my luggage had been delayed at the airport).

I enjoyed the happy hour in the bar, and the local draft beers were very reasonably priced at $4 for a pint.

Bed was really comfy and the bathroom was very luxurious, with a cool ceramic floor tile that looked tike wood planks.

Ill stay again if ever in Billings, but I hope the staff keeps a spare toothbrush around for guests in a squeeze!

Acmueller,

Thanks for staying with us during your visit to Billings, MT. My apologies that a toothbrush was not supplied to you. The correct response was for one of our staff members go out and purchase you one if we were out and bring it up to your room. I will share your comment with the Hotel Manager as a training opportunity for the Front Office. I enjoy hearing comments of guest that have stayed with us as I share the comments with the entire management team as this gives us an opportunity to improve in every area to ensure we exceed our guest expectations. You also mentioned the local draft beers. Billings has several "Award Winning Brewery's". The next time you're with us, try one of our “Growlers” in TEN as I’m sure it will exceed your taste buds anticipation. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future. Safe Travels!!!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

absolutely loved this hotel, in town from Philadelphia PA for business and "happened" to at this amazing place- Billings has such an amazing hotel in the Northern, who would have ever known? I'll be returning for a long weekend to Montana and the Northern Hotel will be where I call "home"-

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

RoadWarrior3Dec,

Thanks for your business during your trip to Billings, MT. I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and at the same time, fell in love with our hotel. We are the only 4-STAR hotel in The State of Montana and when guest happen to find their way to The Northern Hotel, we exceed their expectations. I see you mentioned you will be coming back this way for a week in the near future. Please reach out to me directly (Louis-Director of Sales & Marketing) as I would love to set you up in a room on a high floor with an awesome view so you can take in the scenery when you retire to your room for the day. I also invite you to try Bernie's Diner our in-house diner for breakfast/lunch as we just launched a new menu in addition if you're looking for something a little more upscale in the evenings, I invite you to try TEN our fine dining restaurant that also has a new menu with the best Certified Beef Angus meats in Montana. If you're going to be here with us on the weekend, please stop in TEN to enjoy our pianist and enjoy an evening night cap. We look forward to having you back with us again. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us. Safe Travels!!!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is my favorite hotel I've stayed in this summer, regardless of city. I've typically stayed across the street at the Crowne Plaza during my stays in Billings, but The Northern will be my new go-to. Walking distance to great restaurants, super clean, comfortable rooms and really stylish, up-to-date decor. Plus, the staff was great. Especially impressed with valet who had my car waiting for me without a reminder even though I had to leave at 4:30 AM.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Littleamen,

Thanks for your giving us a try during your visit to Billings, MT. What's so unique about The Northern Hotel is we are not your big box chain hotel that can be structured and robotic. Our owners Chris & Mike Nelson have provided a work environment that allows the employees to empower themselves to go above and beyond to ensure every guest has a lasting impression when they leave us. As you mentioned, we are in the heart of downtown Billings around all types of restaurants and night life right out the front door. When you visit a city I feel, it's great to have those options if you would like to step out the front door and take a quick stroll and take the city in. We are slated to have our attached garage parking complete this week so the speed of having your car waiting for you when you come down to head out for the day just got quicker. I will share your comments with the staff and let them know how much you enjoyed yourself with us here at The Northern Hotel. On behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, we look forward to seeing back with us again very soon. Safe Travels!!!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I spent 3 nights in this hotel for business. It was great. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff, good airport shuttle. Wifi was spotty in my 5th floor room. Adjoining classic diner was great too. Would recommend this location for all downtown Billings visitors.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Jeff P,

On behalf of the entire staff here at The Northern Hotel, I would like to say thank you for your business. It was great to hear how comfortable the bed/bedding was for you and how much you enjoyed your 3-days with us here. The bedding as we like to call it is "The Goldilocks Collection" because it's just right. Bernie's Diner, our family style restaurant just rolled out a new menu that covers everyone's choice for breakfast as it's a trifold menu with lots of great eats for even the pickiest taste buds. When you return to work next week, tell someone else about us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip out to Billings, MT. Safe travels!!!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at the Northern Hotel for two nights while attending a corporate meeting at the hotel. Their top-notch service began when they picked us up at the airport in their Cadillac Escalade and everything from their was first class.

We arrived late so check-in was a breeze. My Classic King room was spacious with a sitting area, large TV, etc. The bathroom was a shower only but that suited me just fine. Their bath products are nice and bed was very comfortable.

There are two restaurants at the hotel - Ten and Bernies (I think). We did not eat at any of them as we were in a conference but they always had a crowd and the food smelled delicious. The food in the conference center was very good and well above what you would expect for a meeting service. We had a great rate and it was well worth the money.

They have done an outstanding job renovating this hotel. It is in walking distance to great restaurants and nightlight in Billings.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

EagleDad,

Thanks for your business first and foremost. In addition, thanks for sharing your review about your recent stay here with us at The Northern Hotel. We are the only 4-STAR hotel in The State of Montana and I'm happy to hear you got to experience this level of Star Service during your visit. The owners Chris & Mike Nelson wanted to combine the old & new when they purchased the hotel in 2009 and reopened it in March 2013. Throughout the hotel there is a feel of elegance and taste that makes for a relaxed ambiance. TEN our fine dining restaurant serves up the best Certified Beef Angus dishes in Montana and in addition, we have a family style restaurant Bernie's, that allows you relax and even have a sundae of your liking. We are also the only hotel in Billings, MT. that offers complimentary valet parking. The best compliment is to tell someone else about us. We look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to Billings, MT. Safe Travels!!!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stopped in while traveling through Montana. This hotel is located right near some great places to eat and drink. My wife had a not so pleasant experience with some snotty ladies in the lobby...but you cannot fault the hotel for that. There was no room clean for us when we arrived, but they remedied that quickly and upgraded us to a junior suite for our wait. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern_Hotel1902, Director of Sales at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Jgallen33,

Thanks for staying with us during your drive through Montana. You had many options but you chose The Northern Hotel and I wanted to say thank you for your business. I'm glad to hear you were upgraded at check-in due to the wait and was very impressed the hotel. We are in the heart of downtown and the nightlife to enjoy fun things to do is in every direction of us when you walk out our door. We recently celebrated our 1-Year Anniversary here at The Northern Hotel this past March 2014. When passing through again, we look forward to seeing you with us. The best complment is to tell someone else about us. Safe Travels!!!