“Surprisingly good!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We weren't sure the restaurant would meet our expectations, but they did. The meal was served quickly and tasted great. They were attentive to my needs for a gluten/dairy free meal and came through with a delicious dish! When we experienced a slight issue with one of the meals, they took care of it immediately and professionally. Our family of six was quite impressed overall. Meals are slightly higher than most Mexican food restaurants, but not so much when considering the taste. We'd go again, for sure. :)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We recently ate at Don Luis in Billings, MT. The atmosphere of the place is quaint and comfortable; however, there was only one other table eating when we entered for lunch, which should have been a warning. The four of us each ordered a different dish. My husband order L18, which consisted of one chicken enchilada and one burrito. When his plate came, the enchilada and burrito looked different in the way each was wrapped, but each contained the same ingredients inside, chicken, some cheese, and a whole lot of some orange colored sauce. I ordered the chicken taco salad. Once again, my salad had the orange sauce mixed in with the chicken, lettuce, and other ingredients. Neither dish had any flavor or spice that we could detect. A third person in our party ordered the chicken chimichanga, which had no flavor. It looked like a little bit of chicken wrapped in a tortilla and fried, covered in the orange sauce. We were disappointed with the lack of flavor Mexican cuisine should offer.

1  Thank MacKenzie52
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We frequently eat at other Mexican restaurants, and have recently forgotten about this one. We came to the restaurant at 6 pm on a Saturday night. It wasn't busy, which is concerning. We were easily seated. Home made chips and salsa were both excellent. Our teenage server was a little slow, and didn't seem to be happy to be working. They only have bottled beer and wine, with wine based mixed drinks. My wife and I both had a beer - they have the normal traditional Mexican beers you'll find everywhere. I ordered Pork Chile Verde burrito with enchilada sauce - it was excellent. I wanted to have another beer, though, as it was spicy - just the right amount of spice to be flavorful - but the server was slow and didn't return to ask how our meal was. My wife had mini chimis and Pablo's Favorite - I'm not sure of the exact terminology, but it looked like a Gordita. She claims it was also excellent.

Great Food - Mediocre Service. It was fairly priced, and huge portions - we both had leftovers which we enjoyed the next day. We'll return again, and I'm looking forward to trying more of their menu.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Montana is not the place to find good Mexican food, made with care with fresh ingredients, so it's been a real pleasure to discover Don Luis in downtown Billings. Very tasty food, at a fair price. Service speed is very dependent upon the size of the crowd, but that's usually true in most places. We like going during "off" times when it's quieter and quicker. It may be American-oriented Mexican, but it's good and they are happy to adjust to special requests, as well as in my case the spice level (unlike most patrons I like to feel the burn with every bite!). If you find yourself in MT and a craving for Mexican, I believe you'll enjoy Don Luis. When we recently came with family to celebrate a birthday, and brought a cake with us, they presented us with a large and free dessert, and were glad to bring some plates so that we could enjoy our cake.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have eaten here on four separate occasions and every single time the customer service is so unbelievably unacceptable that I can't even wrap my head around it. The food is okay, but I can get "okay" Mexican food elsewhere and be treated 1000 times better. I won't be returning.

1  Thank HungryLilTurtle

Been to Don Luis Restaurant? Share your experiences!