“Best catfish this side of the mississippi.”

Crazy Mary's Fish and Chips
Ranked #16 of 351 Restaurants in Billings
Description: Quaint casual relaxed fun atmosphere. We make everything from scratch including our hand cut french fries and chips, homemade cole slaw, mango and peach salsa, chicken strips and shrimp for those who don't like fish. Fried food dodgers can ask for pan seared fish. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As first timer i was greeted with a great attitude. Mary made me feel like i was the only person there. Great attitude and great food. Thoroughly impressed. Dont threaten me with a good time.

1  Thank disdainful1
There are newer reviews for Crazy Mary's Fish and Chips

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stopped in a couple weeks ago, I was excited to find someplace that served fresh fish, unfortunately it wasn't very good. Everything was excessively greasy. I like fried food but this was dripping in grease. I tried the fish tacos which would be good if the pieces of fish were smaller chunks (and drained better). It was more like a fish sandwich in a taco shell. The fish and chips basket was pooling with grease in the bottom of the basket. The grease just overwhelmed everything. The coleslaw is very good. Did not care for the mango salsa.
Although the first try was a bit of a bust, we will try it again and hope its better. We never count something out the first time unless its horrible.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We ordered this takeout food:
- fish & homestyle fries (w/ coleslaw)
- scallops & waffle fries
- no tartar sauce plus 4 sides ranch dipping/sauce
- onion rings

We were very sad because the homemade, small owner allure had us hoping for quality food. We were sad to see the fried items were burned and cooked in dirty oil (very black/dirty fries and battered fish). The onion rings had no "ring" - complete mush: undercooked. Underneath the very thin, burned / dirty batter the actual fish was moist and cooked (white).

When we ordered ranch, the clerk assured us "you'll get a ton of ranch, it comes with everything". We specifically stated "no tartar sauce" (allergy to pickled items), and ALL we got was 6 packets of tartar sauce. Clearly this man does not know the difference between tartar sauce and ranch dressing (or he just likes to lie).

Coleslaw was pretty tasty - but very warm. Since the slaw was more of a vin/oil base (with black pepper, etc. - good spice) not creamy/mayo base, it probably wasn't too concerning that it was warm - but slaw is always best cold (like any salad). We're chilling it now, and hope by tomorrow (if not spoiled) that it will be good.

Pros:
~ Very friendly phone service
~ Initially seemed to take time/work to comprehend order
~ Time estimate was quick and done when promised (even though some undercooked and other items burned)
~ Very quaint indoor decor, apparantly very clean
~ Curteous service when checking out and help with bags

They need to change some things to improve:
(a) do not promise food/sauces, and don't provide it at all (tartar vs ranch issue)
(b) Onion rings should be "rings" not mushy slop - reduce oil heat (avoid burning) and cook longer (so all batter can be cooked throughout).
(c) Same with fish batter (reduce oil heat, cook longer, etc.)
(d) CLEAN YOUR OIL AND FRYER on a more regular basis (if fries are BLACK and undone, that means the oil is dirty).

Truly wish "Crazy Mary" the best of luck. But, esp when working with mostly FISH & SEAFOOD, it's extremely important to ensure things are well cooked, and are not dirty (even the oil). If they don't make these changes, am sad "Crazy Mary's" place will be forced to close by health inspectors, and or poor biz.

2  Thank Sophia P
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A small joint located on 6th Avenue off the beaten track. Doesn't look like much, but well worth the stop. Open Mon-Fri 11am-8pm. Owner is the cook. Son is the waiter/order taker. If you like deep fried battered seafood and homemade french fries then this is the place for you. Cole slaw is homemade and I love it. I would almost think that most everything is homemade, but not 100% sure. Reminds me of back East seafood shacks. Good food, good portions, good prices, good time. Meals range from approximately $7.50 to $12.00 unless you want catfish then that is about $14-$15 or so.

2  Thank KatheenD
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stopped at Crazy Mary's on the way through Billings, and arrived a few minutes after closing but they waved us on in anyway. Very, very friendly people, and Crazy Mary is a kick! I should mention that I stopped here specifically to try the fish and chips after reading positive reviews from other food review sites. I should also mention I am Irish and a bit particular about fish and chips. (So many places serve fish sticks and call it fish and chips. Yuck!) Mary's lived up to my expectations. I received a very generous portion of fish breaded fresh as I stood and watched it prepared. No fish sticks here.....it was a full filet. There are not many places where Fish and Chips is done right, but Crazy Mary's does it right. I highly recommend it.

The restaurant is very small. In fact, I believe they call it a food stand, although there is some inside seating. The prices are fair. Not great, but not bad, especially considering what a person gets for the money. I will be going back again for my Fish & Chips fix, and might even venture a bit and try other menu items. Give Crazy Mary a try. You'll get a taste of Ireland, and a great meal.

2  Thank surfercharlie