“Great service, good hotel property”
Review of Big Horn Resort

Big Horn Resort
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We called ahead for lodging after travelling through the beartooth mountains that day. Another franchise lodging place referred us to this property. I am always aprehensive if I do not know the standards of a hotel but this one was over the top with friendly staff, quality rooms, and a good rate. Upon my inquiry the front desk person said she would hold a room for me without a credit card. That is rare in today's untrusted world. I found out that the property had been in a franchise and the owners operate several hotels. So it was professionally operated and kept up to excellent standards.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1genesis
bighornresort, Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Thank you for your candid comments, we always love to hear when we have done a great job and I will share your remarks with our staff. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

When I made reservations for the resort I asked about the water slide and the clerk did not tell me that it would not be open. We took our grandchild out of school and brought him with us 200 miles across the state so that he could go on the water slide. My daughter also called the resort about the water slid and was not told that it would be closed. I feel that it is a very important part of a conversation when registering a child, which should be a tip off that they would be useing the waterslide. When part of the ammenities of the motel is the waterslide, it should be explained when people book. So when the waterslide is closed all you have is a hot tub and you don't even have a pool as you would in a different motel.

If they were customer service aware you would think they would try harder and then people won't have a problem with the motel and give a good review.

The front desk ladies did not tell us where to park or about the breakfast or times. They are just not customer friendly and clam up when a problem comes up.

Also one of the bed sheets where put on wrong side out.

Overall very disappointed with the motel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank highwood101
bighornresort, Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Thank you for your honest review. When you made your reservation intially it was for Thursday night and the water park was open for that evening and the staff gave you the correct information. I apologize that when you changed your reservation date to come in a day earlier that the staff did not recognize your need for the waterpark and revise your information. We try very hard to inform of water park information when we are aware it is your need, we also have waterpark hours posted everywhere we can think of.. on our web site, the Reef web site, the front desk, all doors leading to the water park, the elevator and the room. I hope your meeting was successful and please accept my sincere apology for this misunderstanding.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

On Aug 4 2011 my family stayed at BigHorn Resort.. I had booked our room two weeks in advance with another company on line..It was Sturgis after all..I had book a Standard Queen room with two beds for 112.00 and another 15.00 for the other company booking for me. Now according to the web sight a standard Queen also came with a sofa bed.. I have three children, husband and myself.. Before even getting to Billings I received a call stating that they needed my credit card to hold my room I told them that Id given that the night I booked the room, I was told that If i didnt supply again I wouldnt have my room when I checked in.. needed it to hold.. I agreed to give it to them since I was still 5 Hours away.. I would give again and than check with the booking company later..
When I checked in I gave the front desk a copy of my reservation , they said company hadnt contacted them.. Funny They had the reservation...and all my information except credit card info...
We went to our room it was 8:15 pm when we finanlly got to town and went to room..We walked in and was just two beds .. I called down and asked where the sofa was .. front desk advised our room didnt come with a sofa .. I asked if the standard room had sofa .. was told yes. ..Called other company that booked room was told that (no) they dont give the credit card info to Hotel , but did book the room I requested and had spoken to some one at the resort named Betty...to book the room..During this time I keep looking at the beds.. Just seems small for a queen bed...We went for dinner and we got back to room I kept thinking beds are small.. called front desk again.. Guess what .. Double beds.. I was upset asked where the children were to sleep was told my fault for not booking with them directly....Asked for the room we had booked and was told no rooms left...My oldest Granddaughter slept on the floor.. We have pictures of this...The next morning I went down to speak to the Manager she seemed nice but said that she had to speak to the other company that booked the room for us..She said that the company that booked the room shouldnt have because there was no rooms to book.. I told her that there was two weeks prior to this date.. I told her about the sofa and the beds and even that child slept on the floor, she did ask if front desk had offered a rollaway I told her NO that I was told my own fault.. The manager did say she would check into it and get back to me.. also offered a cheaper stay on our way home.. I advised that our destination was Helana and that our way back we wanted to make it to Rapid City before stopping for the night.. So she asked what I wanted done..I advised that since I slept in a double bed room give me that price and Id call it good.. she smiled and said that the Queen and Double rooms are the same price.. tell me what Hotel would give an upgrade to queen for the price of the Double.. Ill book that room everytime..
I advised manager to please make right and credit room back to my credit card for the differance, she said she would do some checking and get back to me..I called two weeks later, left message on Managers voice mail, and still havent heard from anyone..Breakfast was not ran properly, at 8:30 am cooks shut down two of the three waffle makers because dinning room wasnt busy.. by the time we went down at 9am there was a line for the waffle maker and other customers were asking to have them plug more in.. there was a line to the wall..was told no they couldnt it takes to long to heat back up and breakfast would be over in an hour.. Children never did get to use the water park.. didnt get to hotel till 8pm and left before 11am.. The only reason the Resort was chosen on our vaction was because we have small Children that love to go to the Zoos..the zoo web sight showed this Resort.. Now you would think THE ZOO OF MONTANA would be nice.. two eagles, on loan, a bear, 1 lion and a red panda was all that was there.cages were empty and weeds up against fences... not recommened..
Would I recommend either place in Billings again.???. Ive already started letting others know.. resort doesnt honer bookings and Zoo is a joke..Penny B NP Nebraska..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...rooms are clean but the service makes stay not worth it..
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Penny B
bighornresort, Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

It is disappointing to here that you were unhappy with your service. I have contacted the web site you booked with to eleviate the credit card issue you encountered while making a reservation with us 2 days prior to your arrival. Web sites classify rooms as standards or suites, then there are several room types within those standards rooms. We have King rooms, 2 Queen bed rooms, 2 Double bed rooms and 2 queen bed rooms with a sofa sleeper all within the standard classification. When your reservation comes through, it is for one of those standard rooms whichever is available at the time the computer books for you. It is helpful when you include all guests in your room so the hotel staff can make an informed decision on how many beds you may require. We did not have information about any children in your room nor your need for a rollaway until you spoke with the manager the next morning and I apologize that this was not resolved immediately. Thank you for your candid repsonse.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

My fiance and I stayed for a friends wedding. We were greeted with a pair of boxer shorts from the last guest still hanging over the shower rod. The housekeeper that arrived to take them was quite rude and informed us that occasionally that 'just happens.' She then grabbed them with her bare hands and walked out. We were not offered an apology from any of the staff or a discount of any sort. Wont be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank lennae
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for your candid response. I apologize that our housekeeping department overlooked an item when cleaning your room. Our executive housekeeper did respond to your call and apologized for the oversight. She also gave you the opportunity to express if there were any other issues with your room and offered to come back should you have any other issues. I believe we addressed your concerns quickly and solved the issues you encountered immediatley, therefore no refund would be warranted. Again accept mine and our housekeeping staff's apology for our oversight.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We didn't plan to stay in Billings but saw the waterslides from the interstate while driving by after a very long car trip so decided we needed a break. We all loved the waterpark, the rooms were very good size with a refrigerator and microwave, breakfast was good, beds were very comfortable. The Montana Rib and Chop House restaurant is within walking distance with excellent food too. We'll stay again if we're nearby.

Room Tip: Nice place
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mom49882
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you for your candid comments. It is always great to hear when our guests have enjoyed our facility. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

we checked in wanting a quiet hot tub and relaxation after a day on the motorikes. Ha, ha...we went to the hot tub to find out it was closed for the weekend, but this is monday....go to front desk to find out OH!!don't know anything about it and sorry, you will have to go to the reef water park....Go there, filled with young families and can't get near the ammenities we payed and stopped for. Bottom line...staff was great, but had no knowlege of what wasn't available cause it should of been fixed and no comphensation for what we couldn't use. I am a diabled walker and the distance was far in the the first place to find out i couldn't use it. I know, sucks to be me. but i payed 5star rating for 3 star ammenities

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your business. I apologize for the mechanical issues you incountered while staying at the Big Horn Resort. In the absence of our hotel hot tub we did offer you an upgraded service to use the attached water park hot tub which is larger and more jetting as an alternative. The waterpark is not very busy on a Monday evening and would have been a viable option for your use. We are a family facility and there will be children using our amenities along with adults, therefore there may not be a "quiet" atmosphere when using our entertainment amenities. I again apologize that this was not to your taste and thank you for your candid report.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

I'm writing this to inform families, like mine, who spend quite a bit of money to have a home away from home while on vacation with small children. the nightmare started with our check in. The rude check in guy, wouldn't let us check in because we didn't have a credit card. we held our room (4 weeks ago) online, with a prepaid credit card, it accepted it and nothing on the website told us we would need a credit card to put on our room at check in in case of damages to room. Well we had two hungry tired young kids. We do not have credit cards, so we had to call a family member, but that wasn't good enough for the hotel. they wanted the person with the credit card to be in there to sign. We should have just left and found a new hotel, but luckily had my sister in town and she let us use her card. We got into the room, no table for the kids to eat at. Who doesn't have a table?? we paid 250.00 for two night, and we don't have a place to eat? We got into bed and found black little hairs EVERYWHERE! it was disgusting! The final straw came when my 2 year old walked outta the bathroom with a Pacifier (that was not ours!) she had found on the bathroom floor! We assumed by now, our room was not cleaned at all..it set the mood for the rest of our vacation. We had to make it through the night, went and ate breakfast, and asked for a refund. they refused, so we demanded we get our money back for the next night stay, we definitely were not staying another night!! after all that money, they wanted 30.00 to get two kids and myself in the watersides..Thankfully our vacation was saved when we went across the street to the Hampton inn and the gentleman gave us an amazing rate, our room was AMAZING!! the cleanest hotel i think Ive ever been in! we tried to enjoy the rest of our stay in billings, but my husband got sick from the eggs at the Big horn and we didn't get to spend much time with him. We did however get to go to the watersides, because it inst just for the big horn resort guests. Hope other people stay at the right hotel (Hampton inn across from the big horn) almost half the rate of big horn and the service was GREAT!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank jkelley721
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

I apologize for the lack of cleanliness as that is not typical of our property and we would have been more than happy to address the issue right away had you given us the chance. We do require a valid credit card at checkin as there are so many additional items that can be added to your room. We do have waterpark packages where the waterpark would be included in your stay. Please accept my sincere apology and know that our staff would love to make it up to you.