“A premium rate improved by complementary extras”

Hilton Garden Inn Billings
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Checked In: July 8, 2012, Checked-Out: July 10, 2012 (2-night stay)

I paid a non-discounted (“rack rate”) of $235.33 a night--$219 base rate + $16.33 taxes. I requested a room with two beds, for two people.

As has been noted in, at least, one other review this property either does not offer discounted rates, at all, or does so on a very limited basis. I made my reservation through the Hilton website. When I queried about a AAA rate the reply came back that this rate was not available for my requested dates nor was such a rate available on any date near my requested dates.

Unlike a number of Hilton properties in the large cities in the northeast, and on the west coast, the rate charged at this location could be called an “all-inclusive” rate to the extent that internet access and parking are both complementary. I would rather pay a higher room rate than be “nickeled” and “dimed” with “add-ons.”

While the room was not, by any means, “over-sized” it was large enough to accommodate two people with a reasonable amount of baggage. The bathroom was clean and well stocked. The rest of the room was also well cleaned. The microwave worked well and was welcome. There is a bar fridge which does a nice job of keeping your beer or soda cool. However this fridge does not have any temp control, so don’t plan on having anything super cool.

The mattresses in the room had one of those comfort controls. The control on my bed did not work. Based on Trip Advisor reviews of other hotels offering mattress controls it appears these devices either do not work at all or, when they do work, they malfunction. Hotels would do better by their guests to “trash” these devices, save their money, and go back to the old fashioned “one mattress fits all” formula.

Despite the $235 rate it appeared there was no complementary breakfast. Breakfast is available, for purchase, and this may be a good option if you have a meeting or appointment you need to get to. However, if time allows, more generous portions; a larger selection, and a comparable price, for breakfast offerings, are available at Denny’s and IHOP—both of which are nearby. Also Denny’s and IHOP serve breakfast 24/7.

All of the staff were polite. I had a temporary outage with my tv and the responsiveness of the staff was excellent as to this issue.

In the event I am, again, in need of a microwave and a fridge I would stay here. Otherwise, based on the $235 rate I paid, and my Hilton Honors membership, I would opt to pay less and stay at the Hampton Inn on the east side of Billings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Big_Horn_Basin_Kid
Nichole M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Billings, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you for your candid comments, we appreciate your feedback and are always striving to improve.

As we are in the peak of our leisure season and have many events at the hotel, our rates do increase. It is our hope that the service and amenities we provide will add value to your stay.

Hilton Garden Inn believes in the every stay value. To echo your comments, we don't charge for amenities that we believe should be inclusive. I'm glad to know that you recognize these added amenities.

I'm happy that you felt the room to be comfortable and that you utilized the microwave, and refrigerator in your room. All rooms also include a coffee maker, iron, ironing board, and hair dryer. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the bed with the comfort controls.

Our breakfast is a combination of buffet and cooked-to-order. Guests are welcome to eat to their heart's content, so I'm sorry that wasn't explained to you better. Typcially our guests enjoy the variety and value that $9.95 provides. Should you book with Hilton Garden Inn again, inquire about the bed and breakfast rate that includes breakfast in your rate at a discounted fee. We do have a variety of great restaurants within walking distance.

Thank you for the great comments regarding our staff. We are so very proud to have such diligent employees that care about the experience of our guests.

I hope that you will reconsider and choose Hilton Garden Inn next time your travels bring you to Billings. Thank you again for your review, we appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have stayed here about 8 times now and all I can say is this hotel has some excellent staff. I enjoy the Hilton Garden Inns in particular but it is the staff that set it apart. This hotel looks new and is kept looking that way. The rooms are comfortable and have plenty of space including a true working desk. I would also like to extend a special thanks to Debbie Wallace in the bar/restaurant. Great service even when she is trying to take care of a whole lot of people. Pleasent personality no matter what the occasion or situation. The tours groups are one of those challanges I saw her take on first hand. Great job!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RBfromCO

Thank you for your kind thoughts about our hotel and most importantly, our staff. Everyone here works very hard to make sure the hotel is in tip top shape and that all of our guests have a pleasant experience.

Hilton Garden Inn's are a favorite amongst business travelers with our large work space, complimentary wireless internet, and 24-hour complimentary business center.

Thank you for recognizing Debbie. She is a true asset to our team and a favorite with our "regulars" such as you! To ensure a hotel is profitable, it takes all kinds of business. We appreciate our business and leisure travelers, tour groups and everyone else that chooses Hilton Garden Inn Billings as their preferred hotel.

We appreciate your review and thank you for being a returning guest. We look forward to a successful continued partnership.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Went to visit the kids over the 4th of July. This hotel was the perfect place to stay. We had a king suite which had plenty of room when the kids and grandkids came to swim. The staff was very friendly and professional, whether in the restaurant, front desk or housekeeping. We couldn't have asked for better service. The pool area was very clean as well as the rest of the hotel. We were able to watch the fireworks out of the 5th floor window and didn't have to battle traffic or crowds. We'll definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rich K
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and we always appreciat the feedback of our guests. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return. At Hilton Garden Inn Billings, we feel so fortunate to have such talented, hospitable staff, and we are always striving to make our guests 100% satisfied. We are happy that you enjoyed the pool and were able to spend time with your grandkids.

Thank you again for taking time to review our hotel. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2012

It was a relief to stay at the Hilrom Garden Inn in Billings after spending a week in various smaller hotels in and around Yellowstone. I didn't realize how nice it would feel to stay in a room that wasn't made of wood. Our check-in was average - the receptionist didn't seem especially friendly, but was quick - but the room itself was very nice and well appointed. The bed and furniture were comfortable and the room was nicely decorated. Only drawback was some slight evidence of mold in the shower grout, which could easily be taken care of with some bleach; I see this in hotels a lot and I always wonder why they don't bother with such a simple fix.
Despite that, though, it was a nice stay and the hotel is close to any store or restaurant you could possibly need, so the location is much better than anything in downtown Billngs. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank KGSellers
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We appreciate your review of our hotel. At Hilto Garden Inn Billings, we take each and every response very seriously and view each response as an opportuinty for growth. Based on your review, we have two opportunities to improve.

I will share your comment with our front desk staff. It is very important that all guests feel welcomed and that their check-in experience is pleasant. I will also share your review with our maintenance staff. We have a continuous check list for guest room maintenance and the shower issue in which you addressed is on that list. I will have our facilities manager double check that this is getting done.

We're happy that you enjoyed the room and the location of our hotel. There is always something to do with all of the attractions within walking distance.

Again, thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Billings.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our room was clean and comfortable with everything we could have needed.
Personnel we talked to were pleasant and helpful. No complaints

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank S B
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We are so happy that you had a comfortable, pleasant stay with us! Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

The rooms are OK - nothing special. The beds have individual comfort settings, but I never found a setting that was comfortable (we were there four nights). The front desk help is horrid. They struggled with reservations, the computer, and bickered amongst themselves (I think they called it "training"). The only bright spot on the first floor was Carla, a waitress. Her smile was genuine and she was good at her job. She should train the front desk staff.

Room Tip: Special requests submitted with the reservation (like a ground floor room) don't seem to work...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dadgum3
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your candid comments regarding our hotel. I'm sorry that your experience with the front desk was less than satisfactory. We are in a transitional period and working on training our front desk staff to deliver better customer service. I have shared your comment with our Front Desk Manager and he will address the situation accordingly.

Our beds are manually adjustable and we recommend what we call the, "optimum setting". Should you stay with us again, please see the diagram on the front desk for Hilton's recommendation.

Lastly, thank you for recognizing our team member Carla. She truly is an asset to our team and we use her as an example of amazing customer service very often. We hope that you'll return to the Hilton Garden Inn Billings to see the improvements we are working on.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here on a tour. The hotel is bright, airy and very clean. The staff were friendly. The location is within walking distance of several restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MichiganParkTraveler
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Many travelers are pleased with the friendly staff and our super convenient location. Hilton Garden Inn Billings is truly walker friendly!

We welcome you back anytime your travels bring you to Billings. Thanks again for taking time to post a review.