“Overall good, but mixed results”

Hilton Garden Inn Billings
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just spent 17 nights here, and overall an okay stay. The average lodger isn't going to be staying for two+ weeks, and if you're staying for a night or two, it's a nice property. Overall, the service was good, the facility is above average. Because of the length of my stay, at request I got breakfast vouchers which saved me $170 - that alone is enough to recommend this property. It took some needling and I spend 300+ nights a year in hotels, so I wouldn't expect this if you're a casual traveler - Hilton properties are fourth in line for where I stay, so this was more of a professional courtesy, at least that's the way I took it.

From best to worst, here's my take:

1) I tipped housekeeping a dollar a day and they did every single thing I asked. Yes, they would probably do this without a tip, but if you want specific things done, leave a buck and a note and it will get done.

2) The breakfast - both food and service - are really good here. For business travelers, keep in mind that tours stay here nightly, so for more than two weeks the breakfast area was full of retired folk between 630 and 8, so you best not be in a huge hurry when hitting b'fast if you want an omelet or some time. There is a set-up where you can get coffee/oj/cereal/oatmeal asap, but if you want more than that be prepared to spend 15 minutes. The service was very good. Most mornings I sat at the bar and Carla gave me top-notch service, the kind I would have expected at dinner service but was nonexistent there.

3) Front desk worked with me on a few issues I had - for a one- or two-night stay, this wouldn't be relevant but if you're going to stay for awhile, it is. They work to make things right.

4) Keurig in-room.

Now the bad....

1) Nightly supper and room-service are terrible. I had three meals paid for by hotel due to how late they were or how bad they were. They were understaffed for night service the entire time I was there. Waitress laughed off my gripe that there were kids in dining area without shoes or shirts my fourth night there, even though I was waiting on a $26 steak. I stay in many places and get that business travelers and tourists have two different expectations - shirts and shoes in the eating areas should be standard, regardless of the caliber of hotel.

2) Hilton ran a double-points promo in May, but desk staff didn't let me know til the end of my stay that this property wasn't participating. In fairness to the Guest Manager, I've emailed him about this and he is looking into a way to remedy it, so I take him at his word on this. That said, my room bill was more than $2K, which is a lot when you start talking double-points or lack therof.

3) I hate the adjustable beds. The mattress was hard as a rock, and even when softened it never felt right. Hampton beds are some of my favorites, which made this that much more strange.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Coolihoma
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Billings

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I will definitely stay here again, if I travel thru Billings. The room was clean and quiet. The only complaint I have, is the noisy cooling system. The cool air blew directly at the bed, and there was no way to redirect it. The hotel is close to restaurants and shopping. I recommend this hotel to others!

Room Tip: I always choose a room on top floor, to avoid any "elephants" walking around on floor abov...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

For two weeks, I stayed at this hotel. The downstairs lobby is gorgeously decorated and felt welcoming. The service I received from the staff were excellent.

I'm a vegan and the chef at the hotel grill restaurant was able to create vegan meals for me for dinner. I ended up having dinner almost every evening at the hotel. The wait staff, knew my tea flavor and before I sat down, the staff would just bring a cup of tea with my favorite mint-tea ready for me.

They've made my 2-week stay very pleasant and I'm now FB friends with some staffs.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great service and made you feel very welcome. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Lobby is inviting and clean and I appreciate the coffee and water in the lobby. On this visit, the bar was closed as was the evening food service for and employee dinner. I appreciate the fact that Hilton appreciates their employees and put them a head of potential profits that evening.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights for our anniversary. The first night we paid a little extra for a sweetheart package which included a gift cert. to a steakhouse, chocolate covered strawberries,a bottle of champaign and breakfast the next day. It was great all around from the staff to the room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived 2 days after Billings had a hail storm, our reservations for our rent car was void, NO rent cars tgey were all damaged., was told that the Taci service was not good or reliable. So we called the hotel they came and picked us up and ww explained our situation, they stopped by Fedex to pick up work materials, took us 10 mikes to work and picked us up 10 hours later and back to airport. All in all they made our 3 day stay easier.
Thanks to Peter, Sonez, Kilee and all the staff that cared to take care of us.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was a short notice decision to stay at this hotel. I made the reservation online while traveling in my car and showed up an hour later. My reservation was ready with no problems. My only regret was when my trip was extended an extra day, the hotel was already booked up so I had to stay in another hotel down the street. The rate was about the same but the room was disappointing after staying with HGI.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple