“Not what you think”

Red Lion Hotel and Conference Center Billings
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Bad, just bad. The property appears to be an old Clarion Hotel as evident from the back side of the current signage. As I lay on my bed looking at the ceiling, I wondered just what shape it was in when the current owners took it over. The ceiling looked like it may have collapsed and been fixed, poorly I might add. It appeared the renovations were nothing more than a gallon of paint and some saran wrap which they used for carpet runners. The staff were stuck up snobs and no more helpful than the rocks in the parking lot. Stay away, there are plenty of other available properties in Billings. The nightly rate should be the weekly rate.

Room Tip: Go a block down the street to the next property.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
RLS7777, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel and Conference Center Billings, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

I had an opportunity to correspond with this guest after reading his review. I do appreciate him taking the time to respond back to me and inform me of his concerns. He was, unfortunately in one of rooms that have not been renovated yet. We are in the final states of a 5 million dollar renovation of the hotel that has been ongoing but almost completed.
We also discussed his comments about staff attitudes. This will be addressed with managers and staff alike now that I have more information on what the concerns were.
Again, I appreciate him taking the time to review here on TripAdvisor and also to respond back to me with more details so me may work on correcting these concerns.
I am hoping when this guest comes to Billings again, he gives our property another opportunity to serve him.
Ron Spence

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

You can sum it all up with one word! WOW! The staff and management team are the most helpful people I've ever ran across! Every employee I encountered went out of their way to assist me and whatever I needed. Starting from the time that I called the hotel for their free shuttle to pick me up at the airport and until I left Billings they made me feel like I was special not just a guest! The front desk was so busy when I checked in but they acknowledged every one. Although my room was quite a distance away from the lobby when walking to the lounge I was greeted in the hallways by three employees all asking me how I was doing and or was I enjoying my stay. The friendliness and courteousness were absolutely exemplary. This all in a day and age where customer service no longer seems to exist The Billings Hotel seems to stand alone!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank boobal00
RLS7777, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel and Conference Center Billings, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

I can only say WOW....thank you for such kind words. I will be sure that our entire staff sees the great things you wrote about the Billings Hotel and Convention Center. We hope to have you back as our guest very soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The place is run down and in need of a serious overhaul. My wife and I and young kids stayed because of the water slide. After one quick look around the pool I could clearly see that it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. There were stains in the hot tub and water slide that had to have been neglected for months. I didn't dare get in the water but my kids jumped right in complaining of how cold it was. We gathered our things quickly and were told to use the towels provided in the pool area.............you guessed it.....no towels! I still can't get the picture out of my mind of how foamy the hot tub was from dirty water. It looked like a huge snow cone of pee foam!

The hallways were very dirty and wreaked of cigerette smoke.

Go anywhere else in Billings but here.

On a side note the beds were fine, the bedding was gross but pillows were comfy.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane E

I am sorry you did not find our pool area up to your standards. We did have an issue over a 2 day period with the boiler/heater in our pool. It has since been repaired and we do not expect to have these issues again. Your comments about the pool are not being cleaned correctly have been addressed by our staff. We do hope you would give the hotel another chance for your business in the future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Room was clean, but nothing special. Older style bedding, but no complaints about mattress or pillow quality. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything in the rooms next to you. The public areas were less than average. The hallways had a terrible smell and look to need an update. If you can get it for cheap, it's not the worst place to stay. However, I would definitely explore other options.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bquintus

I am sorry your stay was mediocre. We are in the final stages of renovating all of our guest rooms with new tile bathrooms, beds, bedding, drapes and microwave/fridge units. While under renovation, our hallways have had the construction crews underfoot, thus a mess at times. We hope to have this all completed in the next few weeks. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

After my wife surgery the staff was very considerate and helpful during our stay. Our meals were delicious and our room had a fridge and microwave which was very nice. The room was clean, warm and cosy. When in Billings the Billings Hotel & Convention Center will be our home away from home.

Room Tip: Rooms with King size beds are comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write about the hotel. We hope your wife is doing well and look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My sister and mother recently stayed at the hotel while my Dad was in the hospital in Billings. They found the staff very helpful. They even offered to get my elderly Mother back and forth to the hospital.
My family found the hotel very clean and comfortable. The restaurant was very convenient, good value, and very tasty. Since I didn't have room for them I was very appreciative knowing my family was happy with their accomodations during a stressful time.
My Mother will be back in a couple of months and has asked me to make reservations at the hotel for her.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

I thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to pass them along to the staff. We will be looking forward to your mother staying with us later this year.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Service was slow for checking in, the room was clean but trying to sleep was a nightmare the beds were so uncomfortable I was in pain trying to sleep on top of the constant screaming and door slamming that was going on down the hallway. Upon alarm going off I tried to get out of bed and cried in pain my low back and hips hurt so bad that I'm writing this review in pain. And it wasn't just me my husband got up complaining his tailbone hurt like he fell on it. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
RLS7777, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel and Conference Center Billings, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

I am very sorry to hear you hand an unpleasant stay at our hotel. I would ask that you contact me to discuss the room you were in. We have been in the process of replacing all of our beds and are in the final stages this month of having new beds in all of our rooms. Again, I apologize for the issues with your stay.