“Clean, decent but a bit dated”

Radisson Hotel Billings
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Billings
pa
“Clean, decent but a bit dated”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel was clean. My room was maintained however the decor was early 90's. I did not visit Billings, I was just stopping here for the night. I am surprised by all the attention in previous posts to the decor. Billings did not strike me as a city where this attention to decor would be a major concern. When we visited, it was very obvious by the smell and sights that Billings is a refinery town. The vehicle of choice here and elsewhere we traveled in Montana (and Wyoming) was a dual-wheel extended cab truck. I am not trying to be snide (my family wishes we would buy one of these as our next vehicle) it just seems like more of a rural city. Perhaps we missed the nicer part of town as we came in on the interstate and traveled directly by the refinery. Of course, perhaps because this hotel calls itself "the Grand", people are justified in their criticism. I wouldn't come here for a romantic weekend.
I liked this hotel. It was average or perhaps above compared to the 15 hotels in this price range I have stayed in the past month or two. The staff was pleasant. My sons were intrigued by the hydraulic mechanism of the elevator. The large several story atrium/lobby with the rooms ringing the lobby reminded me of the inside of the Egyptian themed hotel in Vegas (sorry can't remember its name). As a priority club member, I was offered a complimentary bottle of wine and 10 matching dollars in the casino. The casino was small. Our room was in the main portion of the building and the pool was far away so we did not use it. Perhaps the rooms in the "extensions" are not maintained as well as the rooms in the main structure. The biggest drawback of the room was that the air conditioning in the room had a bit of a rattle to it. It was quieter when on high but not silent. There was also an odd half-wall between the two beds although we found it useful to place items on. There was a microwave in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PAfamily07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at the "Grand Montana" on a Priority Club promotion: 5000 points for a free night. Otherwise, we likely wouldn't have picked this hotel. It is out of date and felt fairly worn. That said, we were upgraded to a room with a separate seating area, so we had plenty of space, and we had no complaints about cleanliness. We got a good night's sleep and were on our way the next morning. Overall, I'd stay here again, as long as it was on a free night promotion!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank froboy4196
Spokane, WA
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Had to stay here because everything else more modern and nicer in Billings was sold out. You can tell that this use to be a "Grand" hotel, but those days have clearly passed. This is a hotel that is in desperate need of some love from the owner and Holiday Inn. It is kinda sad the owner and company let this hotel fall so badly as you can see it could be a very nice property. When you walk in the lobby is a huger open atrium, but when you look closely you see the first signs of age as the carpet and furniture where from the 80's and the big fountain in the lobby has been turned off and just looks ugly and old now.

Whoever owns this hotel needs to stop being a tightwad and open up their wallet and invest some money in upgrading this property because this could easily be one of the nicest hotels in Billings. However, if that never happens, Holiday Inn needs to pull its franchise tag from this property because it clearly is not up to standard.

I will say on the plus side, every single person who worked here was fantastic though, everyone was VERY friendly and seemed to actually enjoy their job, which you don't see at a hotel everyday and they brought the rating up from a one to a three alone.

Room Tip: Do not get a smoking room, ask to be in the main tower.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank spokanecougar
ManagerBillings, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Billings, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Grand MT. We continue to upgrade the facility on a consistent basis. This month we have installed new 32 inch flat screens in every guest room. We just finished installing a state of the art fire system. We thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Columbus, MI
Reviewed 12 July 2011

When we opened the door to our room, we wondered what the noise was. The air conditioning unit for the whole hotel was outside our window, and was seriously noisy. We asked to be moved but were informed that the hotel was full. Staff were pleasant and room was clean, and OK apart from the noise.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Patmum
I thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Grand MT. I apologize for the sound of the air conditioning unit outside you guest room. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and hotel cleanliness. We thank you for your patronage.

Travellers are raving about these Billings hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed here on a business trip only become some of the newer more modern accomidations were not available. The facility is old although some upgrades have been attempted. My main concerns were: the guest laundry room is out of order; the carpet in the hallway, I stayed in room 1121, in my area of the hotel is filthy. I locked myself out of my room and had to walk in my sox to the lobby and the floor is just dirty. The hotel staff is friendly and courteous but I had to request Kleneex replacement in my room. Also, the room I had was very noisy and I notice this part of the hotel has no elevators - totally unacceptable in a modern facility.

I could go on but I won't - I recommend staying here only if nothing else is available. Hotel is just not up to code and I can't believe it still retains a franchise with Holiday Inn. They should pull their franchise.

I could go o

• Stayed July 2010
3 Thank Bringstheeagle
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Grand MT. We apologize for the inconvenience of the guest laundry being down. We had a new washing machine on order and were unable to install until it was delivered. We are excited to announce that we are in the process of installing an elevator to our 2 story section of the hotel. The project is scheduled to be complete in September of this year. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We booked this with a Priceline "name your own price" bid (i.e., we didn't know what hotel we'd get) and wound up at this property. What a pleasant surprise! We were on a 4-week car trip through the West, changing hotels almost every night, and this was one of the 2 or 3 best hotels of our entire trip. Extremely nice place! Immaculately clean, well-appointed room, friendly staff, excellent amenities, decent restaurant with good food, and (given my ridiculously low Priceline bid that was - surprisingly - accepted), an unbelievably reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShaneRussell
Thank You for your great comments. We appreciate your business!
Great Falls
Reviewed 14 June 2011

First of all, I just want to say the customer service was exceptional. However, there must have been an event in town, because our favorite places were booked. We stayed here, not as a last resort, but figured we would splurge on a place with a reputation. We were offered a queen bed, smoking for 180.00+. I normally don't have issues with smoking rooms, but apparently they have never heard of Febreze. No fridge, no microwave, which should be staples in this day and age. Vending machines were picky, either indicating "sold out" when there was clearly items there, or not accepting dollar bills (I tried three). Too much competition with better facilities to risk staying here again. Not recommended without a reservation.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank MtBeckyB
Thank you for your comments; we welcome any suggestions that improve the quality of our guest’s experience. We continue to make changes according to guest’s feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future and let us know how we are improving.