“bad experience”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked this hotel like a month in advance when we got there they gave us our room key when we opened the door there were people sleeping in the room. Oh we were embarrassed and we felt bad for them. They gave us another room when we got to that room there were tons of mosqitoes everywhere my husband started breaking out with a rash we decided we can't stay here we tried to go get a refund the kid was unsure if he could refund us. We went and got our bags when we got back to the room there were people inside and our key stopped working.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
EconoLodgeBillings, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Here at the Econo Lodge we strive for guest satisfaction and it hurts our feelings when we hear that we have failed to meet your expectations. However, you had told us that you could not figure out why your husband was breaking out; so we did the right thing by switching rooms. Then you were refunded your full amount. All in all, we hope to see you again so we can show you the Econo Lodge you were looking for. Thank You.

Shawna Smith

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed for a night on a family vacation just passing through. Room was OK, but a bit dingy. Not enough lighting, one of the outlets didn't work (found out in the morning when the phone failed to charge overnight). The non-smoking room also smelled a bit smoky. The bed was old and had a very uncomfortable mattress. Breakfast was average. Lousy service at the front desk. It took the person forever to check people in. We also asked for a room not facing the interstate and got one directly facing the interstate. In fairness, they changed it for us, but it the entire process was slow and exasperating.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room not facing the interstate or you won't be able to hear yourself think...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
EconoLodgeBillings, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Ed M,

I would like to thank you for writing your review of our hotel. Depending upon which outlet you used it could be matched to the light switch located on the wall. I have checked each outlet in the room and found them all to be in working condition. The light switch must have been in the off position and this is why your phone was not receiving current to charge. We are in the process of renovations as well as bringing in new mattresses for all of our rooms. This is a lengthy process as we must stay in operation as it is completed. I do apologize for the noise coming from the traffic on the interstate, but am pleased to hear that you were able to be moved for a more quiet experience. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back so that we may offer you the experience you deserve when staying with us.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I, our 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend spent a week touring Yellowstone National Park. We were flying in and out of Billings, MT. and on our last day (July 5, 2014) we missed our flight from Billings and couldn't get another until the next morning. The airport had many choices of hotels in the area, we needed one that had a 24 hr. shuttle service and had enough room for all four of us. We tried a few and all were full (it was the end of the 4th of July weekend) then we found the EconoLodge and they had a room available. I booked it from the courtesy phone at the airport and asked if they would come and get us, the front desk clerk said they would. After about 20 minutes the shuttle van pulls up, not too bad (I was thinking) only 20 minutes. The driver throws the van into park and sits there. OK, I have no problem putting our suitcases in the van by myself. So I did, but I would have expected the driver to get out and assist. On the way to the hotel the driver tells us she is the front desk clerk that I spoke with when I booked the room, they asked her to pick us up because they didn't have a driver. Red flag!! We asked if there would be any problem getting the shuttle the next morning because we didn't want to miss another flight. She assured us there would not be a problem and she would set everything up when we get to the hotel. When we get to the hotel she parks on the shoulder of Midland Rd (not at the front door), we got our own suitcases out and had to drag them through the gravel and into Midland Rd as a tractor trailer flew by, then up the driveway and finally into the hotel. The driver then set up our shuttle for the next morning at 4:45 AM. The other front desk clerk looked like a space cadet. She gave us our room (124) which was on the first floor just down from the front desk and had two queen beds, perfect. We got in the room and it was hot and it smelled musty. OK, we understand that you get what you pay for, not that big of a deal. We turned on the AC, it had a label on it that said "set only on number 5 or 7 that is the only way the air conditioner will work". We set it on 7 and we walked down the street to get dinner. We noticed that the tile in the lobby was wet but didn't think too much about it. We were gone for about two hours and were looking forward to a cool room because it was in the high 90's outside. We walked into a warm room and the AC was blowing warm air. I went to talk to the front desk about it and noticed they had a blower running in the hallway. When I get to the front desk I noticed they had a sign up indicating there was a wet floor and someone was removing ice from the ice machine. OK, there must be a leak in the ice machine, stuff happens we can understand that. I speak with the front desk clerk (the space cadet) and have her look at the AC. She puts her hand up to where the vent is and says it feels cold to her. I asked her "that feels cold to you?" she said "yes". I told her that it is not cold at all so she turned it up to 11. I asked about the sign that said set to only 5 or 7. She told me that didn't mean anything. She asked if I wanted to see room 113 and I did. That room had 2 double beds and even though it would be tight I was going to switch rooms. When I came back to our original room the air was blowing cold and the room began to cool down so we decided to stick it out. We had to go to sleep because we had to get up at 4 AM. That was a mistake, as was staying at the EconoLodge was to begin with. The whole night was unbearably hot with the cold air only coming on for 10 or 15 minutes each hour, it would start cooling off then stop and blow warm air for the other 40 minutes. There was little sleep that night and we could not wait to get out of there. We got up at 4 AM and got ready to go. My wife signed us out with the front desk clerk at 4:48 AM after a conversation with the clerk (that lasted at least 1 minute) telling my wife that the shuttle had already left. This clerk didn't know we were supposed to be picked up by the shuttle, even though we had reserved it, there were no names or a room number associated with the reservation. She said another guest took the shuttle and they didn't know about us but she would leave a note for them to include the room number the next time they make a reservation. Too late for us. The shuttle finally returned at 5:20 AM and we got to the airport on time but we will never ever stay at an EconoLodge again, anywhere. They had blowers running all night in the hall, the whole place had a musty smell and everything felt damp. It was horrendous, we would have been better off staying at the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joe F,
I would like to apologize to you on behalf of our entire hotel staff. I am glad that you were able to make your flight on time. Thank you for taking the time to write your review as it keeps me aware of areas that we need to improve on.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel and despite the fact that the air conditioner didn't work and let's not forget to mention the two gunshots across the street in the early AM .... it was okay I guess?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Taylor D,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing your review of our hotel. In the future should you have any problems with any of our rooms please call to guest services at our front desk so they can be remedied for you. We would have gladly relocated you to another room had we known there were any problems with your air conditioning. I assure you that the fourth of July weekend and fireworks celebrations could be confused for gunshots. Nothing to my knowledge was reported. Thank you so much for your feedback as it helps us ensure a quality stay for each and every guest.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Merely a stopover but quite nice. Definitely one of the better econo lodge properties. The property is nice, the rooms large, clean and with very nice bedding. Breakfast above average. Only curious event was when my sons found a marijuana pipe behind the nightstand they turned into the front desk. Then the front manager accused them of having owned the pipe. Curious turn of logic.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Gayle B, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Aloha Valued Customer,

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on here!! It is nice to hear such great things about this hotel and take pride in keeping it up to date!! We look forward to seeing you again!! Safe travels!!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I will forgo commenting on the 2 characters at the front desk...lets just say....odd. The room was old, dirty and it smelled of urine. The carpet wasn't vacuumed and the drapes were crooked and didn't fit the window. The carpet had huge stains that looked as if an animal had peed and it was just left. The shower curtain was torn all the way across the front. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. On our return trip we stayed at a Super 8 in Columbus and it was cheaper, clean, fresh and the front desk attendant was normal and friendly. NEVER stay at the econo lodge in Billings !!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patricia R
EconoLodgeBillings, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Patricia R,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize to you regarding your previous stay at Econo Lodge in Billings Montana. I have read your review and addressed your concerns and complaints with my entire staff. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. By doing this you are enabling us to strive to improve every guest's experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I were just passing through Billings and needed a place to stay for the night. We pulled in around 1:30 AM and got the last available room. Immediately after unlocking the door, we noticed a pungent odor of cat pee. The walls had dirt and candle wax on them. The bathroom door had a hole where it looked like someone punched it. The queen beds were smaller than average. The continental breakfast did not have fruit. The atmosphere was dingy and sketchy. For $149, I was seriously disappointed. Below average.

Stayed: June 2014
EconoLodgeBillings, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Member,

On behalf of the Econo Lodge staff I would like to apologize for the negative experience that you had when you visited us. Had you notified the front desk that we had not met your expectations we could have done something to improve your stay. I would like you to know that I have addressed this complaint with all applicable staff. I would also like to invite you back so that we may prove to you that we strive to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations. Thank you for taking the time to write this review as it helps us operate in a more guest friendly manner.

Warm regards,