“Great Place!!!”
Review of Dude Rancher Lodge

Dude Rancher Lodge
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 25 July 2011

On a road trip with friends, drove in from Kalispell on our way to South Dakota. The price and proximity to downtown far outweighed any negatives! Front desk was very pleasant and recommended a great place for dinner (Montana Brewing Co) - just a short walk away! Breakfast the next morning was great! Would definately stay there again! We really enjoyed the historic aspects (reminded my husband of growing up in the 50's outside of Fort Worth!) and would search out more historic locations on our travels!

Room Tip: Newer (pillowtop) mattresses would be nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on your stay! Glad you appreciated the "historic" aspect of the Dude Rancher! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2011

great old hotel with lots of character with friendly staff and clean.walking distance to montana brewery where we ate good food great beer highly recommend this combination if in Billings,Rex

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

So glad you loved the Dude Rancher and the fun downtown nightlife! Thanks for recommending us!

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We had planned to stay at a B&B in town, but were quite disappointed at the rooms and the exorbitant rate, so instead we went across the street to The Dude Rancher Lodge and we were very happy with our clean and comfortable room there. King bed, refrigerator, microwave, coffee make TV, hair dryer, table and two chairs, good sized bathroom, free wi-fi. When we had a little problem with the TV, the front desk took care of it immediately. We went a couple of blocks away for dinner, and breakfast was just fine in the restaurant attached to the Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thewalkinglady
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us! We make every effort to ensure that our guests receive the very best in hospitality and comfort!

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed here one night on our way to YNP, enjoyed the hotel, the room is a little dark, but I like dark to sleep, it's very clean which is more important to me. I also love to support historic places and was pleased with my choice to stay here. Very easy walk to many restaurants in the area. Had breakfast in the coffee shop the next AM, DH loved his biscuits/gravy, my oatmeal was not cooked all the way thru, but the waitress graciously took it off the bill. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

Thank you for your kind words and for supporting our independent, Historic property! We are glad that your stay was pleasant...so sorry about the Oatmeal, but glad that we made it right! We look forward to providing warm western hospitality to you again!

Reviewed 11 June 2011

I found the rooms very dark, they were clean but older rooms but the rugs needed replacing
My big complaint is there is no airconditioning and with the front window that opens faces the parking lot where people all go by , you dont want to open the curtains and window for fresh air besides you just get car exhaust
There is a restaurant attached that my husband ate breakfast at and his comment was...
I had a little egg with my grease . His stomach felt horrible for the whole day
The people at the front desk were very nice and helpful but it was just too hot for my taste at night
Rooms are quite small too and really not much around the hotel even though it is downtown I think it is the older area

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

As a Historic property, built in 1949, we are on a boiler system which allows us to have either heat or air conditioning, depending on the time of year. We have experienced a very long and wet Spring and due to very cold nights, we had not yet converted over to air conditioning at the time of this guest's stay. While the majority of our guests have no problem opening their windows (a thing of the past in most hotels!) we understand that it is not for everyone. Rest assured that our Air Conditioning is now fully functional, as temperatures are finally on the rise! Thank your for sharing your concern regarding breakfast. We will discuss this with our kitchen staff as complaints regarding our Restaurant are extremely rare. We are just two blocks from many charming shops, brew pubs and restaurants. I'm sorry this guest did not have an opportunity to visit them. Yes, our rooms are small. They were designed to replicate bunk houses of the Old West. The carpet is custom made, reflecting the cattle brands of the original investors of the property. We're sorry that we were not a good fit for this guest and wish them all the best!

Reviewed 8 May 2011

My second stay here, given a room as a presenter for an arts organization. It's a trip back into the 1960s before bland chains. Be prepared for no business center and no breakfast, but the location in downtown Billings is great (huge public library across the street). Very friendly staff and lots of character in the decor.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Thank your for such a nice review! We're glad you enjoyed your stays with us and look forward to providing hospitality to you again! While we do not offer a complimentary breakfast, our restaurant opens at 6AM weekdays and 7AM weekends with over 20 breakfast items on our menu!

Reviewed 4 November 2010

I love the decor! Exposed rafters, windows I can open, a blue sink, wood plank walls...and of course the branded carpet. Right up my alley. Two extra pillows were already in my room, as well as plenty of soft towels. I like the central parking area and indoor access to my room - makes me feel more secure (important for a chick traveling solo). Staff is friendly and accomodating. Wireless internet is FAST and easy to connect to. Bed is as comfortable as can be expected from a spring mattress.

If I were to criticize anything, I might say that the drapes could use replacing. I also think a nice touch would be to replace the standard hotel bedspread with something more "western"...maybe a quilt?

One last thing - apparently, the hotel is haunted by a ghost named Annabelle. If you're brave, stay in room 226! I took the Ghost Tour while here (which conveniently leaves from The Dude), and while we were in room 226 I saw an eerie shadow about the size of a person cross in front of the window - on the 2nd floor! The rest of the tour was kind of lame, but gave me a good chance to see downtown Billings.

In summary, whatever bumps The Dude may have had in the past, it's all good now. Worth a stay for the location, charm, and value.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank TheHamReport
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

Thanks for such a nice review! And we appreciate the suggestion re: quilts! As a matter of fact, as we replace our spreads, we are moving toward a more unique look and moving away from the standard "hotel" bedspread! Quite the experience you had in 226! If you're interested, please contact us, there is another author pulling stories together and we know she'd love to get your story! Just call and ask for MJ!