“Cool lodge in the city!”
Review of Dude Rancher Lodge

Dude Rancher Lodge
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel was very unexpected. It was one of our cheapest hotels, but one of the coolest. It is almost in the middle of the city, but you feel out of it all. Loved the theme of the whole hotel. The only downfall was the rooms are on the small size. The staff was all very nice, but we did have to wait for our room to be ready. I would recommend this hotel again. I would also recommend the trail ride that they advertise on their site. Well worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
duderancher, Front Office Manager at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi and thank you for staying at the Dude and for taking the time to write a review! Im so happy to hear you had a great stay and you are right the trail ride is very worth it! I wish more people had the change to experience it! We are in a very great location! There is so much to do and see with in walking distance! Thank you again from all of us at the Dude!!

There are newer reviews for Dude Rancher Lodge

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was recently in Billings on business just for one night. I'd been traveling for the last week and had stayed at two Days Inn's, one Motel 6, and one Holiday Inn Express. While they all actually turned out to be pretty decent, I really wanted to stay one night in a non-chain hotel, and thus decided to book a room at the Dude Rancher. It looked kitschy enough to peak my curiosity.

Let me say up front that many of the criticisms I've read on the lodge's Trip Advisor page are valid; the place does need some updating. However, there is also an undeniable charm to carpet that has cattle brands on it.

The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable enough. The bed and pillows were soft. The bathroom, which was painted vibrantly orange, was clean. No flatscreen, but the they did have HBO.

For me, the real selling point for this property was the restaurant (The Sturrup Coffee Shop), which was excellent.

The hotel is also pet friendly, which is a bonus.

I hate to have this review over-promise and under-deliver, but if you keep an open mind I think you might enjoy a night or two at the Dude Rancher Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for your review! Yes we do need some updating and we have been busy with some remodeling. Our staff try very hard to go above and beyond to make our guest feel at home! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! The restaurant is a great place to grab a meal and is convienient especially if you dont feel like leaving the hotel! Thank you again for taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The rates were reasonable. The air conditioner didn't work. The tv had to be turned on by the desk personnel, after 15 minutes of trying. The beds were uncomfortable. The decor was very outdated. No handicap accessibility parking available.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimKehoe
duderancher, Front Office Manager at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Jim,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very surprised to hear about the bed and TV! Both the bed and TV are new. I do apoligize that you had an unpleasent stay. Again I do appreciate your time and please have a great day.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

When deciding where wanted to rest our heads in Billings we were torn against two equivalent priced options: The Crowne Plaza and the Dude Rancher. Being a sucker for the "uniqueness and Western feel" we went with the Dude Rancher over the more conservative option. In the end I think we wish we would have went with the Cookie Cutter option.

The Dude Rancher is not a bad hotel, in fact it definitely has it's charm. Simply put, it is just an outdated motor lodge with a fresh coat of makeup that still needs a lot more work.

First some positives:
- The location is fine..within walking distance of downtown.
- The bathrooms.. albeit tiny... are beautiful and frankly a bit out of place.
- The bed was comfortable and I had one of the better sleeps of our trip.
- The feel is unique... they achieve that.. and you can tell the management is "trying" to provide a different, yet quality product

Now the negatives:
- We had a lengthy issue with check-in due to an error between the hotel and Expedia.To their credit, after providing documentation on our end and insisting this was the hotel's issue and not mine they gave us a room without extending our delay further and resolved it themselves.
- The rooms are TINY and very cramped and the air conditioning is circa 1974
- The room makeover from Hotel Impossible is well meaning and a nice effort, but the wood grain and cinder blocks overpower their best intentions and make the rooms dated. The keys/lock are old school brass and do not ooze "safety"
- The carpet was deeply stained an gross in one of the rooms.

All in all I was pulling for the Dude Rancher to be a highlight of our trip, but it basically became background noise and a low point. If you are ever in the same conundrum as I was...choose the consistent cookie cutter chain resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
duderancher, Front Office Manager at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate your time! I am truly sorry about your check in, I was not told about this issue so I will make sure we get better on our end! We have been doing alot of updating through out the hotel and I will pass on your comments to the GM. Thank you again for your information and again I am truly sorry for the issues you listed.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had booked a renovated room through the Lodge's website, and found our stay at the Dude Rancher (how can you resist that name?) one of the most pleasant over night stays on our drive across the country. Our King room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and so quiet. They also have a beautiful, comfortable lobby. We slept like a couple of dude-ranching logs! The Lodge has a breakfast deal -- and we're so glad we took advantage of it. A hearty western breakfast, hot tasty and very very reasonable. If I'm ever back in Billings, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so very glad you enjoyed your stay and had a good nights sleep! Our staff work very hard to insure our guest leave here with a smile on their faces! Thank you again!

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I let my boyfriend choose the hotel while I was driving and he was so stoked on the lodge being called "dude rancher." While in Rome....I guess. I was skeptical, but we asked for a remodeled room (only $10 more!) and it was actually very nice. Walking distance to local bars and restaurants. Eat at the Montana brewing company!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel L
duderancher, Front Office Manager at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review! Yes you are right, the Montana Brewing Company is AWESOME!!! Were so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again in the future!!!!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

after a long day on the road, we really enjoyed the extremely comfortable bed and the quiet room. The bathroom looked recently renovated and very clean. The King room was small but we found it very good value for a short stay. Friendly, helpfull staff at check-in and check-out. We'd definitely stay again!

Room Tip: we had a room opening onto the inside court which was very quiet and no street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Our staff try very hard to make our guest feel comfortable and at home! We hope to see you again in the future!