“Clean, quiet, safe, charming...and haunted...LOVE IT!”
Review of Dude Rancher Lodge

Dude Rancher Lodge
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I love the decor! Exposed rafters, windows I can open, a blue sink, wood plank walls...and of course the branded carpet. Right up my alley. Two extra pillows were already in my room, as well as plenty of soft towels. I like the central parking area and indoor access to my room - makes me feel more secure (important for a chick traveling solo). Staff is friendly and accomodating. Wireless internet is FAST and easy to connect to. Bed is as comfortable as can be expected from a spring mattress.

If I were to criticize anything, I might say that the drapes could use replacing. I also think a nice touch would be to replace the standard hotel bedspread with something more "western"...maybe a quilt?

One last thing - apparently, the hotel is haunted by a ghost named Annabelle. If you're brave, stay in room 226! I took the Ghost Tour while here (which conveniently leaves from The Dude), and while we were in room 226 I saw an eerie shadow about the size of a person cross in front of the window - on the 2nd floor! The rest of the tour was kind of lame, but gave me a good chance to see downtown Billings.

In summary, whatever bumps The Dude may have had in the past, it's all good now. Worth a stay for the location, charm, and value.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank TheHamReport
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

Thanks for such a nice review! And we appreciate the suggestion re: quilts! As a matter of fact, as we replace our spreads, we are moving toward a more unique look and moving away from the standard "hotel" bedspread! Quite the experience you had in 226! If you're interested, please contact us, there is another author pulling stories together and we know she'd love to get your story! Just call and ask for MJ!

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed here in the 2nd week of October 2010, and had a very pleasant stay. The motel is an old style two storey building close to downtown Billings. The rooms are Western themed, with wood panel finishing and patterned carpets. Definitely not a soulless chain clone! The front desk staff were always extremely pleasant and helpful. I arrived on a Sunday, and couldn't find anywhere open to get a late dinner but the kindly lady on reception recommended a good take out place.

The room itself was spacious, nice big bed that was very comfortable (I'm 6'10'' and couldn't reach over the edge with my feet, which was awesome!). Bathroom was clean with lots of towels (I also had a red sink!) and good water pressure in the shower. The only minor complaint I had about the room was the fridge was a little noisy, so I unplugged it at night. There were multiple wireless Internet points, so I never had any problems with access. Was able to Skype home, and the signal/speed was first rate. I was lucky enough to have a room that had parking on the "inner" section, which was very useful. Meant my room had two doors, and that I could park right outside my room (Very handy as I did a lot of shopping).

The Dude Rancher is right in the middle of the beautiful city of Billings, and there is a gym right down the street (Anytime Fitness). The Hotel was easy to find, although to a non-US driver like me, the one way streets around there might be a little confusing! Would stay here again, and will recommend it to any family and friends that may visit Billings. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BigSkySam
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

Thank you for this wonderful review! We look forward to providing hospitality to you again!

Reviewed 8 October 2010

First I have to say that the desk staff are VERY pleasant, both the evening and the morning. And the lobby is lovely. The room was very dated but clean. I note that another traveler stayed in a room with a red sink--that was our room as well. And the bed was very hard, sheets were soft, blanket was worn. But that was okay, we were so tired we slept anyway. The bathroom seemed clean although there was a soiled face towel left under the sink. The housekeeper might have dropped it. As we checked in at 9:30, went straight to bed and got up at 6:00, we really didn't care much about the room. We were disappointed that the cook hadn't arrived at the restaurant in time for us to eat breakfast but these things happen.
Would recommend it for people coming through late wanting an inexpensive, clean place. Don't recommend the beds though, at least not the one in our room, the one with the red sink.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SFNM28
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of our property. Your feedback is very important to us. And thank you for your kind words regarding the Front Desk and our Lobby! Yes, as a Historic property, we are dated! And, by the way, there is more than one room with a red sink! And we also have orange, blue, green and yellow! A copy of this review has been given to our kitchen staff and housekeeping. The housekeeping issues have been addressed and the blanket in your room replaced. We apologize that you were not able to enjoy breakfast before returning on your journey! Mattresses are an on-going work in progress and we have noted your concerns. You were very understanding and gracious. Thank you so much!

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I chose this hotel for location and price. I didn't want or need anything fancy. And the Dude Rancher's not fancy. The front-desk folks were nice. The first clerk even got me into a room, even though I arrived ahead of check-in. The room was comfortable. I wasn't impressed with the a/c unit but because it was so cool at night, I didn't need it and really only wanted to run it as white noise. But the complex was quiet enough that I didn't need it anyway. The electric socket in the bathroom was old and the plugs to my hair appliances kept falling out. But I reported the problem so hopefully the maintenance guy will fix it. Also, this hotel was well within walking distance of downtown, a nice plus.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank sherylsr

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Designed to replicate the bunkhouses of the old West, we are not what one would call fancy - but we're cozy, and as you experienced, quiet! Being on a boiler system, we have cool air or heat! Your time of stay meant that the cooling unit was actually shut off for the season but we had not yet switched over to heat due to warm days. This could be why you were not impressed! Thankfully, the night was cool and you didn't need it! We hope you'll come see us again!

Reviewed 18 September 2010

We just needed a place to spend a night that was convenient to both the downtown area and the airport. Dude Rancher Lodge met all of our criteria.

A quick walk to the downtown area, which has some good restaurants, and a 6 minute drive to the airport gave us everything we could ask for. The rooms have a "lodge" type feel, which was fine for us. The bed was comfortable, which was the most important thing for us given our early morning wake-up.

The one hiccup was a mix-up regarding payment for our room. We had already booked on expedia, but it seemed that at check in we had simply been put in under a new reservation. The result was the possibility that we would be charged for two rooms. We checked out at 6am, and didn't have time to straighten the issue out with a manager. I asked that a note be left, and later received a call that they had taken care of everything without the need for a further conversation. It was clear they were very eager to make sure that there were no issues with the stay, and I was happy that management was proactive in taking care of us.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scgee
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2010

Thank you for taking time to write this review! We're glad that we met/exceeded your expectations. Being human, we make that occasional mistake - but always attempt to find a quick and easy solution for our guests.

Reviewed 5 September 2010

We stayed here based on location, price and the positive reviews. We arrived late and entered through the restaurant back door which was a very scary first impression. The lobby was much better and the room seemed OK at first. The room was dated with a red sink in the bath but that didn't bother us. All we really wanted was a good night's sleep before driving. Unfortunately, the bed felt like a hard cardboard box with springs inside. The sheets were threadbare. The blanket was very worn and had multiple colors of hair (blonde, brunette, etc) on it. Worse, the AC made a very loud click every time it went on. We are both very sound sleepers but it woke us both up every time it went off. We were up at the crack of dawn and out of there!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We're sorry that you did not have a good night's sleep! It would be helpful to know why you found the South Wing entrance scary ( this would be beneficial in addressing your concerns) and your room number would have been helpful so that we could check the mattress. Ah, yes, the Red Sink! All of our bathrooms have a different color scheme! It's all part of the charm of being a Historic property! (that and hearing the click when your AC comes on!). Recent comment cards have raved about the softness of our sheets and plush blankets so I'm not sure what happened re: your bedding but have shared your comments with our Housekeeping department. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to improve upon these areas..

Reviewed 14 August 2010

e did not plan to go to Billings for our vacation but the car broke down and the closest dealer was in Billings. So we took out the Moon travel guidebook on Montana and saw the Dude Ranch Inn and the good write up so we took a room. Glad we did. Its location is in the downtown where you can walk to everything. Great restaurant attached to the Inn. Staff are the greatest, helpful and very friendly. It is not one of the new sterile kind Hotels (comfort inn, Ramada…) it is just a clean old fashion Inn. Wood paneling, large rooms, Refrigerator, closet, comfortable beds, Great price … can't say anything bad about the place. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
duderancher, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you for the nice review! And thank you for appreciating the uniqueness that is the Dude Rancher! No, we're not new, as a matter of fact, we were recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places! We're glad that we were able to extend our warm hospitality to you during your stay.