“Great stop on a long journey!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boulder
Boulder Hot Springs Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boulder
Calgary, Canada
“Great stop on a long journey!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I loved the atmosphere here. And although this isn't a hotel review but more of an attraction review concerning their hot springs outside and inside. My wife, a travel agent for American Express and I frequent this place often when we are in the area.

I'm not sure about the rooms per say, but the nice cozy rooms they have for the hot springs are like a stranger told me the last time I was there "well you can't beat this".

Last time I was there the outside pool was 102 degrees, inside was 108 and the steam room was super steamy and just perfect. If you go during the early day or afternoon there isn't very many people usually and you can usually soak to your hearts content in peace.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Belt, Montana, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed there for New Years eve with husband and son. Had to get 2 rooms because the rooms are so small and a lot of them you have a communal bathroom. Outdoor pool had ice all over the concrete so it was very trecherous. The water was not warm enough for the outside temp. So we decided to go to the indoor pools. I had to go alone because those are segregated into men's and womens. That's no fun when you are traveling with family. Dinner said they were serving wine. They didn't. The food, which is suppose to be gourmet was pretty bad. Prime rib was tasteless. Veggies were merely warm not cooked at all. They even messed up waldorf salad. The room was suppose to have shampoo, conditioner and hair dryer. It had nothing. It was a 300 dollar one night stay and we were so disappointed. Oh and the front desk clerk was rude. older woman.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Trish W
Calgary
Reviewed 13 December 2012

My Wife and I went to Montana on a "Hoodle" to see what we could find. We found Boulder Hot Springs Inn and Spa and couldnt have been more pleased! If you are looking for 5 star accommodations, this is not it. If you are looking for friendly, down-home and helpfull people and a pleasant relaxing stay- You have struck gold!!

Road in from pavement is gravel, but not long.The hotel has had many owners and is from the 1800's. It is in a constant state of rebuilding and renewal. These construction noises were never at night or offended us during our stay, but you can see the workmen and paint cans during the day at the other end of this hotel.

Yup, take off yer shoes! Where are your manners anyway? Its all a part of this experience.

The spas are interesting and again we were not offended by local Spa customs- we waited till after 9 (when the locals get sent home) and had it all to ourselves! (my wife still insisted on suits- chagrin!, and the Spa supplied both suits and towels- no, they are not new, but they are clean and cover yer parts!).

The room was amazing for its antiques and its size- small; but how much room do you need in the 1800's? Besides, when I was asleep it didnt matter much. It appealed to the armchair cowboy in me.

Bed- comfy, Bathroom- tub and shower by request, and very clean and sufficient.

Cool GHOST story told by a steely-eyed front desk lady with a straight face.
Great trout pond out front. Actor Bill Pulman lives just down the hwy.

No dinner served at the hotel. Amen.
Listen to me, go to the local bar in town because they really do kick a fantastic beef dinner!!
Fred Flinstone dreams of these ribs and rib eyes!!!!! Locals there feel like your lost relatives and anybody gives a good conversation. Remember yer manners, and they treat you very warmly!

Oh, If anybody waves at you, just wave back. Thats a Montana drive-by custom. (the rest of the world still has stuff to learn...)

We bought the B&B package and breakfast the following morning was great!! Fresh everything and slanted towards the Spa's theme of good health foods based on local Native American style healing. (I personally would never sign up for that- but man o man was it good!) I left the table full- and probably more healthy!

This was a great weekend "Hoodle" for us and we were both very welcomed and surprised. So,Take off yer watch! Sit by the pool or Spa- the Wife and I look forward to meeting you there!!

Room Tip: Some rooms share the hall bathroom. Ask, if that aint yer style! They have in room as well.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1shoelace
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I'm not bothered by the segregated bathing, and the room was very cozy if a bit cramped... Overall it was a GREAT getaway stay! But: why couldn't there be a permanent co-ed hot pool, and why are the men denied a cold pool adjoining our steam room?

In all- would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Adamint
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

It sounded quite nice on the web site "retreat and spa" but in reality it was a run down building with a swimming pool in the middle of an unkempt area of land (cannot call it a garden). The reception lady was friendly on arrival if alittle eccentric. We were given towels for the "pool area" and quite frankly I have better towels for my dogs. They were old, worn and very tatty. Our room was satisfactory with a comfortable bed but has no A/C so it was extremely hot. The complimentary dressing gowns provided had seen better days, rough to touch with a few holes! The place needs alot of updating to fulfil its own desciption. We only stayed one night thankfully and was pleased to be leaving early the next morning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liz d
Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Boulder Hot Springs sounded so great from their website. They've got some great marketing folks writing for them, because the hotel we experienced was very different from the one described!

I'll sum up in bullet points: run-down, hippie commune, middle of nowhere, musty, disappointing.

About 5-10 minutes off the highway (after passing a youth correctional facility and a lot of cows), we arrived at the Inn and "Spa." What had appeared online to be a charming mission-style old building was a disappointing run-down site in real life.

When we arrived, we encountered a number of flies buzzing around the reception area. While we certainly understand that this can happen anywhere and is hard to control, it (combined with the musty smell and run-down appearance of the exterior and interior) gave us a bad first impression.

We were shown around by the (frazzled? inexperienced? stoned?) front desk person. We learned that there are separate men and women's hot and cold plunge areas. When she brought us into the women's area, we learned with our own eyes that "bathing suits are optional" when a woman unabashedly (good for her!) walked by us in the buff. When you're not expecting this, it can be rather uncomfortable (especially for a gal traveling with her mom!).

Also on their website is this statement, "Our kitchen specializes in a variety of healthy, home-cooked, interesting and delicious gourmet food. We use organic meats, fruits and vegetables whenever possible and we serve “Montana-grown” specialties." However, we learned on arrival that the inn no longer serves dinner meals. The staff informed us that in Boulder we could eat at a bar where they serve "hamburger or steak." Or there were a few sub shops around. We opted to head into Helena (about 40 minutes drive) where there are MANY more options.

When you go from the lobby to the door which leads to the guest rooms, there is a large sign asking you to remove your shoes. There is even a large bookcase where you are supposed to leave them. This I have never seen before in a hotel, and if I wasn't already turned off, that would have sealed the deal.

Our room, however, was actually very comfortable. Our room was on the second floor, and to our knowledge, there is no elevator. Also no A/C, so bear that in mind. The shower was good and hot (although the shower head was situated for someone about 4'5" tall). The beds were comfy and the hotel was relatively quiet.

We had decided that we'd rather take our chances out on the road than eat a meal in this place, so we told the front desk staff that we'd be hitting the road early and wouldn't be requiring breakfast. They surprisingly offered to remove the breakfast charge from our bill (something we weren't expecting but very much appreciated). I realize now, having re-reviewed their website, that they have B&B stay options, or just overnight guest room options.

All in all, we felt it was a rather bizarre experience, and we were happy we had only booked the one night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LorraineD_2011
Some rig, Somewhere
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Hidden gem. Scared to share this review as it seems to be tucked away into MT goodness, but good folks should know... this is a great spot. Such a cool nostalgia about the building and grounds. I had no idea it was there, but once I saw and drove up to the place - I was hooked. Great tall ceilings, chic rooms with good furniture and the breakfast was super. Only one other guest during off-season and weekday I was able to enjoy my coffee and sit in silence outside.

Room Tip: There is a sign when you walk in I missed the first time - it reads 'Please remove shoes'...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank micah W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boulder
Elkhorn Mountain Inn
Elkhorn Mountain Inn
#1 of 1 in Montana City
Finlen Hotel and Motor Inn
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 1 in Whitehall
La Quinta Inn & Suites Butte

Been to Boulder Hot Springs Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!